PDA

View Full Version : Islington, Shoreditch, Whitechapel, Stepney, Poplar, Limehouse, Wapping.

Ash
05-23-2016, 12:17 PM
A saturday stroll.

There is an Allen Park in Whitechapel. :chortle:

There are city farms in Whitechapel and Stepney. Awww, ickle animals.

The Jewish Cemetery in Whitechapel is locked to the public. Sad scenes.

St Dunstan, Stepney is a fine old church. Much 15th century and some bits 13th century. Stars in 'Oranges and Lemons. Some nice buildings old around it too.

Occasionally there is something not destroyed by either the Luftwaffe or by the post-war planners and a row, or sometimes a single old house appears amongst the estates.

William Booth, proselytizing temperance-ist and remembered with a statue, may not have had the effect he wanted in his East End, and lets face it, abstention is dreadfully bad for business, but needless to say he had the last laugh, because very many of today's residents don't drink a drop.

There's not much topographical evidence for the Black Ditch, East London's lost river, which is probably why it is one of the least-known and little documented.

I like Wapping. Good place to end a walk, with all its interesting pubs.

The Jorge
05-23-2016, 12:19 PM
A saturday stroll.

Have you read From Hell yet?

Sir C
05-23-2016, 12:23 PM
A saturday stroll.

St Dunstan, Stepney is a fine old church. Much 15th century and some bits 13th century. Stars in 'Oranges and Lemons. Some nice buildings old around it too.

Occasionally there is something not destroyed by either the Luftwaffe or by the post-war planners and a row, or sometimes a single old house appears amongst the estates.

William Booth, proselytizing temperance-ist and remembered with a statue, may not have had the effect he wanted in his East End, and lets face it, abstention is dreadfully bad for business, but needless to say he had the last laugh, because very many of today's residents don't drink a drop.

There's not much topographical evidence for the Black Ditch, East London's lost river, which is probably why it is one of the least-known and little documented.

Did you pop into Tobacco Dock? That's a very bizarre story. Going there in the early 90s, when the rest of the area was still a derelict, dangerous ****hole, to find a bustling centre of shops and cafes open on a Sunday was quite remarkable - and then, just as the rest of the country caught on to bsutling centres of shops and cafes, it all went to ****, and I assume still stands empty? Puzzling scenes.

Luis Anaconda
05-23-2016, 12:24 PM
A saturday stroll.

Which ones did you go to? Captain Kidd was always a favourite of ours in the many years I worked down there. Did you go past the old News International buildings? Be kind of funny to see what they are like these days.

Monty92
05-23-2016, 12:25 PM
A saturday stroll.

There's a mosque and a synagogue literally side by side in Whitchapel, Clive. On Fieldgate St, I believe.

And I thought my neighbours were ****s.

Monty92
05-23-2016, 12:27 PM
Did you pop into Tobacco Dock? That's a very bizarre story. Going there in the early 90s, when the rest of the area was still a derelict, dangerous ****hole, to find a bustling centre of shops and cafes open on a Sunday was quite remarkable - and then, just as the rest of the country caught on to bsutling centres of shops and cafes, it all went to ****, and I assume still stands empty? Puzzling scenes.

Tobacco Dock is now an event space. I was there a couple of weeks back.

The Jorge
05-23-2016, 12:29 PM
Which ones did you go to? Captain Kidd was always a favourite of ours in the many years I worked down there. Did you go past the old News International buildings? Be kind of funny to see what they are like these days.

They were being pulled down last time I went past, I think they've also moved out of St Thom's now too

Sir C
05-23-2016, 12:30 PM
Tobacco Dock is now an event space. I was there a couple of weeks back.

Does it still have a big boat in it?

Billy Goat Sverige
05-23-2016, 12:32 PM

That one was good. The Prospect of Whitby was also a good one. In general the ones along the river were nice and the two in the centre of Wapping (Old Star and The Cuckoo) were full of the riff raff of Wapping.

Luis Anaconda

Was empty all the 14 years I was working there - absolutely bizarre. Except for the sandwich shop Frank N Steins. God could murder one of their cheese and bacon baguettes now

7sisters
A saturday stroll.

I ended up in Smiths Brasserie on Saturday, following a wander around Vaughan way and St Katherines dock. I think that area was in the diocese of St Georges in the East many years back. I have family buried in that old church from around the 17 - 1800's, so I'm led to believe.
Pretty sure that region was a ghastly place back then. I real den of thieving *******s and vagabonds.

Ash
05-23-2016, 12:34 PM
Have you read From Hell yet?

No, I haven't. Is it a comic?

SWv2
05-23-2016, 12:34 PM
What sort of cumulative distance are we talking about A?

Luis Anaconda
05-23-2016, 12:35 PM
That one was good. The Prospect of Whitby was also a good one. In general the ones along the river were nice and the two in the centre of Wapping (Old Star and The Cuckoo) were full of the riff raff of Wapping.

Was one of them opposite the Pizza Express - remember going in there once and it was really quite scary. Prospect of Whitby was a fine fine pub

Sir C
05-23-2016, 12:35 PM
Was empty all the 14 years I was working there - absolutely bizarre. Except for the sandwich shop Frank N Steins. God could murder one of their cheese and bacon baguettes now

It's owned by a Kuwaiti, apparently. The Allans are even destroying our Victorian industry themed shopping centres now, la :-(

Luis Anaconda
05-23-2016, 12:36 PM
They were being pulled down last time I went past, I think they've also moved out of St Thom's now too

Yeah - News Int is now in London Bridge. Saw the new building when I was back in Feb - looks ****ing smart. Lot smaller of course as only about 7 people are left running the three papers

Ash
05-23-2016, 12:37 PM

Not this time, but not so long ago it was odd to see it empty. I even liked Wapping in the 80's, when a friend lived there before it trendified. There was a bass guitar ship there too, by the station.

Billy Goat Sverige
05-23-2016, 12:38 PM
Was one of them opposite the Pizza Express - remember going in there once and it was really quite scary. Prospect of Whitby was a fine fine pub

That was The Cuckoo :hehe: All the scum of Wapping went in there.

Ash
05-23-2016, 12:39 PM

Prospect of Whitby and Town of Ramsgate.

Sir C
05-23-2016, 12:40 PM
Not this time, but not so long ago it was odd to see it empty. I even liked Wapping in the 80's, when a friend lived there before it trendified. There was a bass guitar ship there too, by the station.

Sometimes in the late 60s and early 70s I used to go with my Dad to the old London docks. I remember once walking out of a dockyard and popping into a toilet block for a peepee, to be confronted by holes in the floor, and my father gently leading me out, pointing out the sign on the wall denoting that this block was for Lascars.

Lascars! The London docks! I'm like living history here, for ****'s sake! Someone record what I say before I die, quick.

Brentwood
05-23-2016, 12:41 PM

I used to work next door to it. They would pipe music into the place despite the fact that there was nobody there and all of the shops were closed. Eerie place

Ash
05-23-2016, 12:41 PM
What sort of cumulative distance are we talking about A?

14 miles.

Did 14 miles yesterday too. Start at Kenwood, followed the Highgate branch of the Fleet down to Blackfriars then back home. Beer tastes very good after that.

Sir C
05-23-2016, 12:42 PM
I used to work next door to it. They would pipe music into the place despite the fact that there was nobody there and all of the shops were closed. Eerie place

Yes, but, why did it fail? It was there, just at the time that everything was taking off, and it went and failed!

Luis Anaconda
05-23-2016, 12:42 PM
Prospect of Whitby and Town of Ramsgate.

Ah - some fond memories of both of them :longlunches:

Brentwood
05-23-2016, 12:43 PM

Did you ever visit the Caxton? That was a ropey old place.

SWv2
05-23-2016, 12:43 PM
14 miles.

Did 14 miles yesterday too. Start at Kenwood, followed the Highgate branch of the Fleet down to Blackfriars then back home. Beer tastes very good after that.

Fair play to you.

I did **** all yesterday.

Day before I went to the airport, then McDonalds, then popped in next door and had 6 beers and then home for a few more.

Quite the childminder I am.

The Jorge
05-23-2016, 12:44 PM
No, I haven't. Is it a comic?

Well yes, if you want to be utterly prosaic about it.

It's a Jack the Ripper thing, takes in all of the old east end, the Hawksmoor churches, the occult, corruption the masons and the royals.

Ash
05-23-2016, 12:51 PM
I ended up in Smiths Brasserie on Saturday, following a wander around Vaughan way and St Katherines dock. I think that area was in the diocese of St Georges in the East many years back. I have family buried in that old church from around the 17 - 1800's, so I'm led to believe.
Pretty sure that region was a ghastly place back then. I real den of thieving *******s and vagabonds.

Is that the church just south of Cable Street? I hurried round St K's dock on saturday needing a piss and on my way to Bank tube. I managed to hold on till I got home thus saving the princely sum of 50p. THere are some *** free weeing *** street urinals on Old Street, I noticed. Could have done with one of them.

Luis Anaconda
05-23-2016, 12:52 PM
Did you ever visit the Caxton? That was a ropey old place.

:hehe: Pretty much every night. Good old Dutch, the landlady - remember on a Friday she would bring round sandwiches and stuff. Very questionable hygiene in there but we were all too polite to say no to her. She also run the Flying Scotsman in King's Cross

7sisters
05-23-2016, 12:53 PM
Is that the church just south of Cable Street? I hurried round St K's dock on saturday needing a piss and on my way to Bank tube. I managed to hold on till I got home thus saving the princely sum of 50p. THere are some *** free weeing *** street urinals on Old Street, I noticed. Could have done with one of them.

It is.. Just came across this informative piece in the Grauniad surround the wapping re-development, set around the Long Good Friday.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/18/gangsters-then-bankers-the-long-good-friday-foretold-the-future-thatcherism-londons-docklands

The Jorge
05-23-2016, 12:56 PM

Free Weeing?

Underrated Dylan album, that

redgunamo
05-23-2016, 01:00 PM

It's a Jack the Ripper thing, takes in all of the old east end, the Hawksmoor churches, the occult, corruption the masons and the royals.

Johnny Depp?

Luis Anaconda
05-23-2016, 01:02 PM
Johnny Depp?
Heather Graham :love:

Ash
05-23-2016, 01:07 PM
It is.. Just came across this informative piece in the Grauniad surround the wapping re-development, set around the Long Good Friday.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/18/gangsters-then-bankers-the-long-good-friday-foretold-the-future-thatcherism-londons-docklands

:thumbup:

Ash
05-23-2016, 01:10 PM

There's a Forbidden Planet up on Shaftesbury Ave. Might they have it?

Burney
05-23-2016, 01:12 PM

A genuinely appalling film where we first got to hear Johnny Depp doing cocker-nee

The Jorge
05-23-2016, 01:14 PM
There's a Forbidden Planet up on Shaftesbury Ave. Might they have it?

I would imagine so, it's very much a modern classic. Alan Moore stuff is deservedly getting some recognition as the stuff of modern classics.

The Jorge
A genuinely appalling film where we first got to hear Johnny Depp doing cocker-nee

Oh yes, utterly horible, though his David Bowie accent is funny

redgunamo

Solid at the back?

Luis Anaconda
05-23-2016, 01:22 PM

Oh yeah - it is shocking but I quite enjoyed it in a very hungover Sunday morning type of way when I watched it

Luis Anaconda
05-23-2016, 01:59 PM
Solid at the back?

I would say she is very much about the two up top