PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, but what a total poof..

7sisters
05-20-2016, 10:59 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/36339268

Monty92
05-20-2016, 11:02 AM
Nothing homo about being scared of spiders. They look ****ing horrible and would crawl over your eyeballs, probably
****ting in them as they pass, given half a chance.

Burney
05-20-2016, 11:05 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/36339268

Speaking as someone who gets genuinely paralysed with fear at any kind of serious height, I'm not really in a position to judge others' phobias, but yes, his girlish scream was not a good look

The Jorge
05-20-2016, 11:18 AM
Speaking as someone who gets genuinely paralysed with fear at any kind of serious height, I'm not really in a position to judge others' phobias, but yes, his girlish scream was not a good look

Heh, you too, eh? Heights is a bad one for me.

See also, the sea, which is basically heights plus boats plus possibility of drowning.

7sisters
05-20-2016, 11:29 AM
I've a theory these phobias are passed on, primarily through mums, and on occasion, poofy dads, peers etc.
Ever see a two year old take flight from a spider... No..
It's learned behaviour.. Ergo. poofy parents - poofy kids.
It's the same with bloaters. Fat parents = fat kids.. I could go on, there are always exceptions, but there you have it. :shrug:

Sir C
05-20-2016, 11:30 AM
I've a theory these phobias are passed on, primarily through mums, and on occasion, poofy dads.
It's the same with bloaters. Fat parents = fat kids.. I could go on, there are always exceptions, but there you have it. :shrug:

Lesbians, also.

Monty92
05-20-2016, 11:43 AM
I've a theory these phobias are passed on, primarily through mums, and on occasion, poofy dads, peers etc.

I don't disagree. I've not yet encountered a scary spider with my two-year-old, but plan to conceal my fear when I do.

Burney
05-20-2016, 11:50 AM

See also, the sea, which is basically heights plus boats plus possibility of drowning.

Yes. One of my worst recent experiences was having to climb a set of rope-based steps up the side of the world's biggest container ship. It was ****ing enormous. :-(

Only by staring fixedly at the arse of a female colleague in front of me did I manage it. Not nice.

Luis Anaconda
05-20-2016, 11:51 AM

Me too - I think fear of heights is basically a sign of greater intelligence, j. You look at those people climbing massive buildings and such and they are clearly too stupid to be scared

Ash
05-20-2016, 11:54 AM

By this theory you must have had some very stupid and unpleasant parents.

Burney
05-20-2016, 11:56 AM
Me too - I think fear of heights is basically a sign of greater intelligence, j. You look at those people climbing massive buildings and such and they are clearly too stupid to be scared

Yup. As with many things, a failure to be scared is simply evidence of a serious lack of imagination. If you're not scared, you've failed to grasp the situation imo.

The Jorge
05-20-2016, 11:57 AM

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Tina-Fey-giving-herself-high-five.gif

The Jorge
05-20-2016, 11:59 AM
Yes. One of my worst recent experiences was having to climb a set of rope-based steps up the side of the world's biggest container ship. It was ****ing enormous. :-(

Only by staring fixedly at the arse of a female colleague in front of me did I manage it. Not nice.

Jesus, I think I wouldve revealed myself as quite the hysterical woman in that situation.

I once decided to try and combat the fear by abseiling down portland bill. unfortunately, a sense of elation and a lack of perspective meant I let go of the rope about 30 foot in the air and landed like a ******* on the stony beach below.

Burney
05-20-2016, 11:59 AM

:hehe: Played, a

Burney
05-20-2016, 12:22 PM
Jesus, I think I wouldve revealed myself as quite the hysterical woman in that situation.

I once decided to try and combat the fear by abseiling down portland bill. unfortunately, a sense of elation and a lack of perspective meant I let go of the rope about 30 foot in the air and landed like a ******* on the stony beach below.

Oddely enough, I've abseiled and, while I wouldn't do it out of choice, it didn't **** me up anywhere near as much as I thought it would. sSomething to do with coming down and not having to look down, I think

7sisters
05-20-2016, 12:30 PM
Oddely enough, I've abseiled and, while I wouldn't do it out of choice, it didn't **** me up anywhere near as much as I thought it would. sSomething to do with coming down and not having to look down, I think

Indeed. That has very little bearing on fear of heights whatsoever. I've always **** myself at heights but once went on one of those outward bound courses on the river wye involving abseiling, pot-holing and diving for bricks on the floor of a dark river. I completed the abseil with no real anxiety, apart from the bit where you back over the ledge.
I'm still **** scared of heights.. :shrug:

Burney
05-20-2016, 12:36 PM
Indeed. That has very little bearing on fear of heights whatsoever. I've always **** myself at heights but once went on one of those outward bound courses on the river wye involving abseiling, pot-holing and diving for bricks on the floor of a dark river. I completed the abseil with no real anxiety, apart from the bit where you back over the ledge.
I'm still **** scared of heights.. :shrug:

Potholing can **** off, though. Crawling through tiny passageways hundreds of feet underground with a million tonnes of rock above you and only a couple of AA batteries between you and complete, profound and lethal darkness? *******s.

I also don't much like confined spaces, but don't count that as a phobia as anyone who does like them is a ****ing lunatic

7sisters
05-20-2016, 12:49 PM
Potholing can **** off, though. Crawling through tiny passageways hundreds of feet underground with a million tonnes of rock above you and only a couple of AA batteries between you and complete, profound and lethal darkness? *******s.

I also don't much like confined spaces, but don't count that as a phobia as anyone who does like them is a ****ing lunatic

I remember a particularly narrow section where you had to tilt your head to the side, in order to squeeze through. One of the chunkier members actually got stuck and a few of them had to kick/stamp him through the section. The following day he showed us his bruises, much to everyones horror.
I suppose the alternative of getting stuck was far worse.