PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Machine WIMB

Ash
05-20-2016, 09:35 AM
I'm thinking of buying a coffee machine, but don't want to be locked into a capsule cult (Nespresso, Lavazza). I like being able to try different ground coffees, which I currently use in my filter machine but want the water heated to ~95c instead of boiling. Hence being in the market for a decent machine. Don't need a milk frother.

The Jorge
05-20-2016, 09:43 AM
I'm thinking of buying a coffee machine, but don't want to be locked into a capsule cult (Nespresso, Lavazza). I like being able to try different ground coffees, which I currently use in my filter machine but want the water heated to ~95c instead of boiling. Hence being in the market for a decent machine. Don't need a milk frother.

My £0.02 on this; unless you spend hundreds, and I mean hundreds, they are invariably disappointing in comparison to proper ones. I have come to accept that machine coffee is for being out and about and anyway there's all manner of other coffee making devices that serve the home better.

Stovetop Espresso Pots, Aeropresses, Drip Filters, Percolators and good old Cafetieres more than suffice for me.

:thumbup: on giving the awful pod affairs a swerve, mind.

redgunamo
05-20-2016, 09:48 AM

Talk to the De'Longhi family, imo.

Ash
05-20-2016, 09:56 AM
My £0.02 on this; unless you spend hundreds, and I mean hundreds, they are invariably disappointing in comparison to proper ones. I have come to accept that machine coffee is for being out and about and anyway there's all manner of other coffee making devices that serve the home better.

Stovetop Espresso Pots, Aeropresses, Drip Filters, Percolators and good old Cafetieres more than suffice for me.

:thumbup: on giving the awful pod affairs a swerve, mind.

I am prepared for the budget to be hundreds. Those budget domestic solutions have sufficed for me also but I rarely treat myself to anything expensive and luxury coffee is very appealing.

Ash
05-20-2016, 09:57 AM
Talk to the De'Longhi family, imo.

:thumbup:

The Jorge
05-20-2016, 10:02 AM
I am prepared for the budget to be hundreds. Those budget domestic solutions have sufficed for me also but I rarely treat myself to anything expensive and luxury coffee is very appealing.

Fair do's, we spent £230something on one and it was still pretty ****. It was a Duallit and matched our kitchen so Mrs Jorge is happy. Personally I feel that wasting 200 odd quid is a bit ****, but I feel I may have gone native in that respect.

Sir C
05-20-2016, 10:02 AM

After years of an all-singing all-dancing grinder/espresso/cappuccino job, I have recently gone back to basics with this simple machine and bought a separate grinder for the beans. I am well pleased with the results.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/coffee-machines-and-accessories/coffee-machines/delonghi-dedica-ec680r-coffee-machine-red-10124059-pdt.html?gclid=CJzrnPqy6MwCFQmNGwodbCMMuQ&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~~~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&s_kwcid=AL!3391!3!85318525404!!!g!125716501764!&ef_id=VzMe7gAAALZrDELa:20160520100212:s

The Jorge
05-20-2016, 10:06 AM
After years of an all-singing all-dancing grinder/espresso/cappuccino job, I have recently gone back to basics with this simple machine and bought a separate grinder for the beans. I am well pleased with the results.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/coffee-machines-and-accessories/coffee-machines/delonghi-dedica-ec680r-coffee-machine-red-10124059-pdt.html?gclid=CJzrnPqy6MwCFQmNGwodbCMMuQ&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~~~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&s_kwcid=AL!3391!3!85318525404!!!g!125716501764!&ef_id=VzMe7gAAALZrDELa:20160520100212:s

Would you say that, since you've discovered it, you've been addicted to Grindr?

Burney
05-20-2016, 10:08 AM

Can I be honest without you getting all humpty? I never liked the coffee from your old fancy machine. I much preferred the coffee you made me last time I was there.

Your old machine also made the most godawful noise, which was not what one needed most mornings.

SWv2
05-20-2016, 10:10 AM
I use one of those Bialetti Mocha machines. It is fine, indeed very nice depending on the success of my coffee purchase and on occasion my frame of mind when preparing.

**** all wrong with pods unless you are a coffee snob, which I doubt A is. It is after all an entirely personal thing with one person's meat being another person's poison and indeed other cliches.

J is of course 100% correct in that one will never mimic the out and about user experience in the confines of one’s kitchen.

Ash
05-20-2016, 10:10 AM
Personally I feel that wasting 200 odd quid is a bit ****

This is what I feel about Apple products. ;-)

Ash
05-20-2016, 10:11 AM

:thumbup:

SWv2
05-20-2016, 10:13 AM
[/URL]

I get a very kind lady to grind my beans every 2-3 weeks.

Ash
I use one of those Bialetti Mocha machines. It is fine, indeed very nice depending on the success of my coffee purchase and on occasion my frame of mind when preparing.

**** all wrong with pods unless you are a coffee snob, which I doubt A is. It is after all an entirely personal thing with one person's meat being another person's poison and indeed other cliches.

J is of course 100% correct in that one will never mimic the out and about user experience in the confines of one’s kitchen.

To me pods lack the freedom of being able to choose what coffee to use. Like a toaster that insists that you but all your bread from the toaster company.

Burney

I make you right on the pod question. An awful lot of **** is talked about pods. They make nice coffee and involve no ****ing about or mess. A certain strain of person simply objects when anything they like or are precious about is made simpler and more accessible. I spent years making 'proper' coffee and wouldn't go back to it.

Burney
05-20-2016, 10:15 AM
To me pods lack the freedom of being able to choose what coffee to use. Like a toaster that insists that you but all your bread from the toaster company.

It's not like there's a shortage of options, though. And if you really want to be anal about it, you can actually make your own pods with the coffee of your choice.

Pat Vegas
05-20-2016, 10:16 AM

all you need is one of these.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDjbVtDYxplx5weedPzbOjL5wd8a2zu W4cQ8ldVlS4hroD-pI6

The Jorge
05-20-2016, 10:16 AM
This is what I feel about Apple products. ;-)

I'm aware this is a joke but seriously, I have never bought an apple product I consider to be a waste of money.

As soon as I had my own business I made the decision to never inflict Windows on me or anybody else again and it's a joyous thing.

The Jorge
05-20-2016, 10:17 AM
all you need is one of these.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDjbVtDYxplx5weedPzbOjL5wd8a2zu W4cQ8ldVlS4hroD-pI6

Yes, a million times yes! Though I've a rate of leaving one on the stover for two long which is around 1 a year

Burney
05-20-2016, 10:18 AM
I'm aware this is a joke but seriously, I have never bought an apple product I consider to be a waste of money.

As soon as I had my own business I made the decision to never inflict Windows on me or anybody else again and it's a joyous thing.

I must admit that I am confused by Microsoft's decision to make Windows progressively worse and harder to use with every new iteration.

Pat Vegas
05-20-2016, 10:19 AM
Yes, a million times yes! Though I've a rate of leaving one on the stover for two long which is around 1 a year

I still enjoy using it. I feel it's like a science experiment.

Pat Vegas
05-20-2016, 10:20 AM
I must admit that I am confused by Microsoft's decision to make Windows progressively worse and harder to use with every new iteration.

They keep doing this with office. whilst it looks like somethings are easier they keep hiding things.

Like doing an out of office was easy on outlook now it's a pain.

Burney
05-20-2016, 10:20 AM

Or forgetting to clean the ****ing thing out and coming back from a holiday to discover either that it's now rusted together or that it's gone mouldy. Either way, it gets binned.

The Jorge
05-20-2016, 10:21 AM
Or forgetting to clean the ****ing thing out and coming back from a holiday to discover either that it's now rusted together or that it's gone mouldy. Either way, it gets binned.

Yeah, that too. I'm not having the pods though, instant coffee for ponces.

Sir C
05-20-2016, 10:28 AM
Can I be honest without you getting all humpty? I never liked the coffee from your old fancy machine. I much preferred the coffee you made me last time I was there.

Your old machine also made the most godawful noise, which was not what one needed most mornings.

You never usually hesitate to express how repulsive you find my attempts at offering hospitality. Fire away! Take my bread and salt, put them into a pile on the floor, and defecate on them. :thumbup:

Ash
05-20-2016, 10:29 AM
It's not like there's a shortage of options, though. And if you really want to be anal about it, you can actually make your own pods with the coffee of your choice.

Pods are fine at work, if the buggers supply a machine. I just dont want to be locked in to one supplier, and I want to buy from a shop, not order online.

Burney
05-20-2016, 10:35 AM
You never usually hesitate to express how repulsive you find my attempts at offering hospitality. Fire away! Take my bread and salt, put them into a pile on the floor, and defecate on them. :thumbup:

See? Now you've got all humpty. :-(

I never said anything at the time. That would have been rude. I'm actually congratulating your decision to go with the new one, if you think about it.