PDA

View Full Version : The 'Rooney in midfield' quandry

The Jorge
05-18-2016, 11:38 AM
This is shaping up to be the big pre-tournament issue for the press, this year there doesnt seem to be any populist omissions or will he/wont he make it injuries so I'm guessing all the pressure will be to pick Vardy & Kane (thus ensuring the sacred 4-4-2 is honoured) with Rooney dropping back into the tip of the diamond (slightly ****ing the sacred 4-4-2 but never mind).

That said, Rooney in midfield has more than a touch of the $tevie Gees about it. Fading scouse legernd, hollywood balls, more pathos than a whole open air theatre season and a destiny not quite fulfilled.

The only bright side I can see is that england dont really have a solid gold player in the hole, like a scholes or Gazza.

Ash
05-18-2016, 11:44 AM
The selection of Wilshere ahead of Mark Noble seems to have caused some outrage in certain quarters. Well, Alan Shearer.

SWv2
05-18-2016, 11:48 AM
I'm guessing all the pressure will be to pick Vardy & Kane (thus ensuring the sacred 4-4-2 is honoured) with Rooney dropping back into the tip of the diamond (slightly ****ing the sacred 4-4-2 but never mind).

So Rooney or the lad Ali/Alli in this role. I know who I would be starting with in a major tournament.

Luis Anaconda
05-18-2016, 11:49 AM
This is shaping up to be the big pre-tournament issue for the press, this year there doesnt seem to be any populist omissions or will he/wont he make it injuries so I'm guessing all the pressure will be to pick Vardy & Kane (thus ensuring the sacred 4-4-2 is honoured) with Rooney dropping back into the tip of the diamond (slightly ****ing the sacred 4-4-2 but never mind).

That said, Rooney in midfield has more than a touch of the $tevie Gees about it. Fading scouse legernd, hollywood balls, more pathos than a whole open air theatre season and a destiny not quite fulfilled.

The only bright side I can see is that england dont really have a solid gold player in the hole, like a scholes or Gazza.
You almost sound as if you care ;-)

Now, I've usually stuck up for Rooney but I have to say I agree that it isn't the smartest move. Not sure England have played 4-4-2 for some time though and definitely won't in the tournament. Not sure many in the press are calling for it either - most suggested teams I have seen have been variations on 4-2-3-1s. Mainly to crowbar in Rooney though :-( Shame no one seems to be considering a change to the first "4" though given the paucity of defenders

The Jorge
05-18-2016, 11:50 AM
So Rooney or the lad Ali/Alli in this role. I know who I would be starting with in a major tournament.

Who would that be then?

I think Delhi Ally could play further back, despite being a **** he's got plenty of presence and versatility.

The Jorge
05-18-2016, 11:51 AM
The selection of Wilshere ahead of Mark Noble seems to have caused some outrage in certain quarters. Well, Alan Shearer.

And most of the A13 corridor. I dont see it, personally. But Jordan Henderson is going so what do I know?

Luis Anaconda
05-18-2016, 11:51 AM

One to fill in for the other when the original choice is suspended for being a stroppy ****

The Jorge
05-18-2016, 11:53 AM
You almost sound as if you care ;-)

Now, I've usually stuck up for Rooney but I have to say I agree that it isn't the smartest move. Not sure England have played 4-4-2 for some time though and definitely won't in the tournament. Not sure many in the press are calling for it either - most suggested teams I have seen have been variations on 4-2-3-1s. Mainly to crowbar in Rooney though :-( Shame no one seems to be considering a change to the first "4" though given the paucity of defenders

I'm just spitballing here. You know the calls for the sacred forfahtoo will come, it is written.

Can you imagine the oppobrium if england were to line up in a fancy dan/negative/unortodox non-4-x-x formation? I mean it worked for Very Untenables at Euro 96 but really?

redgunamo
05-18-2016, 12:02 PM
And most of the A13 corridor. I dont see it, personally. But Jordan Henderson is going so what do I know?

Hendo is on the cover of FIFA 16 though.

SWv2
05-18-2016, 12:04 PM
Who would that be then?

I think Delhi Ally could play further back, despite being a **** he's got plenty of presence and versatility.

I think the only other player in the squad who could do the role is our Jack but I fully expect him to be playing in a more traditional midfield role with one other, Dier then behind.

Assuming your diamond thing.

Luis Anaconda
05-18-2016, 12:04 PM
I'm just spitballing here. You know the calls for the sacred forfahtoo will come, it is written.

Can you imagine the oppobrium if england were to line up in a fancy dan/negative/unortodox non-4-x-x formation? I mean it worked for Very Untenables at Euro 96 but really?

:hehe: I think he had to lie to the press and pretend David Platt was playing right back rather than admit it was a three at the back formation

The Jorge
05-18-2016, 12:05 PM
Hendo is on the cover of FIFA 16 though.

Aye, best thing to come art of sheffield since Sean Bean.

https://furcoatnoknickers.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/66de3368138311e19896123138142014_7.jpeg

Ash
05-18-2016, 12:08 PM
Aye, best thing to come art of sheffield since Sean Bean.

Speaking of whom, he voices the ad for Civ VI, which is out in October.

redgunamo
05-18-2016, 12:09 PM

Henderson or Shorn?

The Jorge
05-18-2016, 12:11 PM

Really? I'm excited about Civ6. I've played 5 and all the expansions to death.

My 9 year old is well into it too

Ash
05-18-2016, 12:17 PM
Henderson or Shorn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvBf6WBatk0

Ash
05-18-2016, 12:23 PM
Really? I'm excited about Civ6. I've played 5 and all the expansions to death.

My 9 year old is well into it too

I didn't fancy the look of 5 enough to buy a new machine just to play it. Last time I bought a new machine just to play a game was for Bioshock. I might have to now though.

What sort of victories did you go for on 5, btw?

The Jorge
05-18-2016, 12:26 PM
I didn't fancy the look of 5 enough to buy a new machine just to play it. Last time I bought a new machine just to play a game was for Bioshock. I might have to now though.

What sort of victories did you go for on 5, btw?

I'm always tempted to go for domination or science, mostly as you need good science to get good weapons, but 5 has a really good Faith thing now so, using the Celts and their faith bonus, I managed my first ever diplomatic victory the other day.

Luis Anaconda
05-18-2016, 12:30 PM
I'm always tempted to go for domination or science, mostly as you need good science to get good weapons, but 5 has a really good Faith thing now so, using the Celts and their faith bonus, I managed my first ever diplomatic victory the other day.

I can't but help think that if sw is reading this he is crying

The Jorge
05-18-2016, 12:34 PM

Nonsense, he's face deep in an ethically sourced falaffel and mung bean salad.

Ash
05-18-2016, 12:44 PM

I'm sure he's intelligent and open-minded enough to recognise that playing strategy games is no worse a deed than watching 22 blokes chase an inflatable pigs bladder round a field for an hour and a half.

SWv2
05-18-2016, 12:47 PM
I'm sure he's intelligent and open-minded enough to recognise that playing strategy games is no worse a deed than watching 22 blokes chase an inflatable pigs bladder round a field for an hour and a half.

Each to their own A. I am known for my open-minded approach to appreciating and accepting other people's interests which may not be my own.

Ash
05-18-2016, 12:51 PM
Each to their own A. I am known for my open-minded approach to appreciating and accepting other people's interests which may not be my own.

:thumbup: