PDA

View Full Version : So I looked into leasing a car and, other than getting to change cars every 2-3

Monty92
05-17-2016, 11:53 AM
years, I fail to see the appeal.

I certainly can't see how it would be cheaper, overall, than buying a car outright.

Sir C
05-17-2016, 11:57 AM
years, I fail to see the appeal.

I certainly can't see how it would be cheaper, overall, than buying a car outright.

It depends on what you're buying and how long you aim to keep it.

If you're intending to buy a 3 year old Volvo and keep it for 14 years, that would certainly work out cheaper than leasing a new car every 2 years for a similar period of time.

If you'd like to drive a new car and replace it regularly, it makes more sense to lease simply because the finance company are taking the risk on the residual value, rather than you.

Monty92
05-17-2016, 12:00 PM

If you're intending to buy a 3 year old Volvo and keep it for 14 years, that would certainly work out cheaper than leasing a new car every 2 years for a similar period of time.

If you'd like to drive a new car and replace it regularly, it makes more sense to lease simply because the finance company are taking the risk on the residual value, rather than you.

Exactly. Not for me, Clive.

Sir C
05-17-2016, 12:01 PM

You're going with the used Volvo estate, aren't you? Will you keep one of those gilded ornate brass tissue boxes on the dashboard?

The Jorge
05-17-2016, 12:01 PM

It certainly seems like the neophile's choice.

Monty92
05-17-2016, 12:04 PM
You're going with the used Volvo estate, aren't you? Will you keep one of those gilded ornate brass tissue boxes on the dashboard?

I was thinking about a Skoda Octavia or a Mondeo...or a Mazda 6

Sir C
05-17-2016, 12:06 PM

Three fine gentleman's automotive carriages, without doubt.

Burney
05-17-2016, 12:07 PM

I can recommend the Octavia. A Mondeo's just a bit...well...Essex, isn't it? :-(

IUFG
05-17-2016, 12:08 PM
All decent cars, m.

I have a Mazda 3 MPS as my weekend car - you can rely on it just as much as you can rely on them to **** their season up

Pat Vegas
05-17-2016, 12:08 PM

Forget those get one of these.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNWv80GWftUq9NFu5Z97-Xoxma5X_SCQkhzgcO7paWbAEeXQNI

Burney
05-17-2016, 12:09 PM

Speaking from experience, it's really a matter of timing. If the thing starts going wrong regularly and if in three or four years you keep having to wave goodbye to hefty garage bills every couple of months, you are going to wish you'd leased.

The Jorge
05-17-2016, 12:10 PM

I dont like that people dont laugh at Skodas nowadays.

Sir C
05-17-2016, 12:11 PM
I can recommend the Octavia. A Mondeo's just a bit...well...Essex, isn't it? :-(

The Mondeo is a Jaguar X Type in casual clothing, b.

Pat Vegas
05-17-2016, 12:11 PM

Yep it's strange it was often used at school.

Your dad drives a skoda!, your mum drives a lada,
etc

Burney
05-17-2016, 12:13 PM

Yes, but it's the clothing that matters. Nobody gives a **** what's under the bonnet. They're all the same these days anyway.

Burney
05-17-2016, 12:15 PM

I got one as a company car eight or nine years back. Every other option was a girl's car. Some people laughed, but they were soon laughing on the other side of their faces when they saw my bootspace :nod:

Sir C
05-17-2016, 12:19 PM
Yes, but it's the clothing that matters. Nobody gives a **** what's under the bonnet. They're all the same these days anyway.

Well I wouldn't go near either with a ****ty stick, to be honest.

It is the happy truth that no one (except the French) makes a truly bad car these days. However, there are still undeniably huge differences between products from different manufacturers. Let us consider, for example, a 'luxury' brand D segment vehicle like the Jaguar XE, and compare it with its German rivals, the BMW 5 series and the Mercedes E class.

Actually, let's not, because there is no real comparison to be made. The Jaguar is poorly built, and its design and technology are 20 years old. Yet, (and you may ask me why) sufficient people buy the Indian car to keep the company viable. It's a mystery to me.

The Jorge
05-17-2016, 12:19 PM

http://laslow.net/reactiongifs/Batch03/Don't%20Care.gif

7sisters
05-17-2016, 12:49 PM

You should listen to him you know. Like as not the old wreck that you want to run into the ground will end up pissing oil at some point and the garage bills will probably outweigh any advantages. Expensive insurance, higher road tax, it all adds up.
Look at a car along the lines of council tax or any other bill. It's a monthly direct debit than you can afford to set aside.
You can change it every now and then for a shiny new one with minimal fuss.
If you drive less around 10k a year, leasing is worth looking into.