PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Europe, Eurovision this weekend

The Jorge
05-13-2016, 01:12 PM
:nod: oh yes.

Surely, whatever your political persuasion or voting intentions in next month's referendum, we can all agree that laughing at the musical efforts of our continental counterparts is an evening well spent.

Though it is customary these days to pour a 40 on the ground for our slain homies.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01564/terry-wogan-trouse_1564455i.jpg

Missing you Big T.

https://mtncatholic.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/sotc.gif

Burney
05-13-2016, 01:16 PM

Surely, whatever your political persuasion or voting intentions in next month's referendum, we can all agree that laughing at the musical efforts of our continental counterparts is an evening well spent.

Though it is customary these days to pour a 40 on the ground for our slain homies.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01564/terry-wogan-trouse_1564455i.jpg

Missing you Big T.

Indeed. It is traditional round my gaff to order a chinky, crack open several bottles and get very, very drunk while watching Eurovision.

I always prefer it when I know nothing about any of the entries beforehand, so I hate any of these qualifying round programmes. Although I did enjoy those humorous Nordic mongs the other year. They were very funny. Shame they didn't make the final, really :hehe:

Billy Goat Sverige
05-13-2016, 01:22 PM

Missing you Big T.

The Swedish entry is pure ****e. We won't be winning it this year.

The Jorge
05-13-2016, 01:23 PM

I think, if anything, that's even more traditional.

Pokster
05-13-2016, 01:23 PM

Haven't you contradicted yourself there, shirley the ****ter it is the more chance you have

The Jorge
05-13-2016, 01:24 PM
Indeed. It is traditional round my gaff to order a chinky, crack open several bottles and get very, very drunk while watching Eurovision.

I always prefer it when I know nothing about any of the entries beforehand, so I hate any of these qualifying round programmes. Although I did enjoy those humorous Nordic mongs the other year. They were very funny. Shame they didn't make the final, really :hehe:

Good to hear, I'll be doing pretty much the same but I'll be more chinese eyed than chinese.

I'm glad you said that about the Semis. It really does ruin the whole thing. Surely the point is to come to it cold.

Burney
05-13-2016, 01:25 PM

But surely that doesn't matter? It's all about the voting blocs imo. The Scandinordic is one of the most powerful in this regard. As is the Russian + all its neighbours who are scared of Russia one.

The Jorge
05-13-2016, 01:28 PM
But surely that doesn't matter? It's all about the voting blocs imo. The Scandinordic is one of the most powerful in this regard. As is the Russian + its neighbour who are scared of Russia one.

In fairness, the russian bloc is getting bigger all the time.

It's almost like the old days :cloud9: :justforcharlie:

Burney
05-13-2016, 01:32 PM

Hang on... 'we'?

Have you renounced your God-given birthright as a freeborn Englishman and become a bloody Swede now, bgm? :-(

For shame!

Ash
05-13-2016, 01:32 PM
Can I just fulfill my contractual obligation this time of year to call you all a bunch of woofters for watching that cheesy bollix. :vsign: :toocoolforschool:

Ash
05-13-2016, 01:33 PM
Hang on... 'we'?

Have you renounced your God-given birthright as a freeborn Englishman and become a bloody Swede now, bgm? :-(

For shame!

Full marks to the lad for his integration into his host society imo. :thumbup:

Sir C
05-13-2016, 01:34 PM
In fairness, the russian bloc is getting bigger all the time.

It's almost like the old days :cloud9: :justforcharlie:

:shrug: Trump's gonna nuke 'em anyway.

The Jorge
05-13-2016, 01:37 PM

Well now we've got the formalities out the way

Burney
05-13-2016, 01:38 PM
Full marks to lad for his integration into his host society imo. :thumbup:

Integration's what foreigners have to do, j. An Englishman may assimilate out of politeness, but never integrate. To integrate would be to forget that we are superior.

Snin
05-13-2016, 01:39 PM
I thought the whole Eurovision watching things was just for camp gay types tbh..I'm actually very surprised that J and B watch this ****e, i dont understand

Burney
05-13-2016, 01:39 PM

Oh, will he? Oh that would be good of him. They've been getting a bit uppity imo.

Can he do the Saudis while he's at it?

Ash
05-13-2016, 01:41 PM

You mis-spelt Hillary.

Luis Anaconda
05-13-2016, 01:42 PM
Hang on... 'we'?

For shame!

Disgraceful isn't it. And exactly why all these weak-willed Scandiwegian countries should be under the yoke of the Fatherland, herr b

The Jorge
05-13-2016, 01:46 PM
I thought the whole Eurovision watching things was just for camp gay types tbh..I'm actually very surprised that J and B watch this ****e, i dont understand

I'm very comfortable with my sexuality, snin. And foreigns are funny, so there's that too.

Sir C
05-13-2016, 01:47 PM
You mis-spelt Hillary.

Yes, I noticed that as I did it, but couldn't be arsed to correct it.

I'm old. Old now, and tired.

The Jorge
05-13-2016, 01:47 PM
You mis-spelt Hillary.

It would be ironic if she died due to beef poisoning though

Rich
05-13-2016, 01:48 PM
Oh, will he? Oh that would be good of him. They've been getting a bit uppity imo.

Can he do the Saudis while he's at it?

See the test squad? Delighted for James Vince - fully deserved. You'll enjoy watching him bat. He plays an absolutely wonderful cover drive. Very pleasing on the eye in general.

Sir C
05-13-2016, 01:50 PM
Integration's what foreigners have to do, j. An Englishman may assimilate out of politeness, but never integrate. To integrate would be to forget that we are superior.

Of course I remember back out east in the '20s, you'd get the odd type affected by the sun and the fever who would go a bit native. You know, wearing the local clobber and sleeping with his house boy.

Always blackballed from the club, of course. Rum business.

The Jorge
05-13-2016, 01:52 PM

:nod: Mashallah

Burney
05-13-2016, 01:52 PM
Well now we've got the formalities out the way

Here's what I don't get. Vladimir Putin's Russia is in charge of a gigantic nuclear arsenal, pursues a highly aggressive foreign policy, shoots down airliners, constantly overflies sovereign western airspace, invades his neighbours, threatens energy blockades, murders and represses his own citizens and has generally behaved incredibly provocatively for a decade or so and we don't hear a peep out of you about what a menace to international peace Russia are.

On the other hand, the US looks like they might be half thinking of electing a rather ridiculous and comical populist and you're immediately convinced he'll trigger Armageddon.

It doesn't add up. :shrug:

Burney
05-13-2016, 01:53 PM
I'm very comfortable with my sexuality, snin. And foreigns are funny, so there's that too.

Equally, if we're going to start addressing everything snin doesn't understand, we're going to be here a while.

The Jorge
05-13-2016, 01:55 PM

I'm no fan of pooty-poot but he does have a certain air of competence about him. Whilst he's basically a slightly less psychopathic version of Roose Bolton he's less worrying than Trump because he looks like he could find his arse with both hands.

Burney
05-13-2016, 01:57 PM
Of course I remember back out east in the '20s, you'd get the odd type affected by the sun and the fever who would go a bit native. You know, wearing the local clobber and sleeping with his house boy.

Always blackballed from the club, of course. Rum business.

Yes. Like that Lawrence cove out in Araby. Kwah, of course.

Pat Vegas
05-13-2016, 01:57 PM
I don't watch it anymore. It used to be a laugh but since the heemasex's officially claimed it it's been ruined.

Burney
05-13-2016, 01:59 PM
I'm no fan of pooty-poot but he does have a certain air of competence about him. Whilst he's basically a slightly less psychopathic version of Roose Bolton he's less worrying than Trump because he looks like he could find his arse with both hands.

Right. So you find his apparent 'competence' as a murderous despot comforting, do you? :rubchin:

You really are quite a strange fellow, j. :-\

Burney
05-13-2016, 02:00 PM
I don't watch it anymore. It used to be a laugh but since the heemasex's officially claimed it it's been ruined.

I think it's the other way around. I think it's been slightly reclaimed from the heemersexers and now it's camp fun everyone can enjoy.

Burney
05-13-2016, 02:01 PM
Disgraceful isn't it. And exactly why all these weak-willed Scandiwegian countries should be under the yoke of the Fatherland, herr b

I can't really take you seriously as a square-jawed, ice-eyed member of the Master Race, I'm afraid, la.

The Jorge
05-13-2016, 02:01 PM
Right. So you find his apparent 'competence' as a murderous despot comforting, do you? :rubchin:

You really are quite a strange fellow, j. :-\

Trump is a man who looks like he'd get drunk on his own power. Putin looks like the type to leave it unopened in his cellar, next to some political prisoners.

Burney
05-13-2016, 02:04 PM
Trump is a man who looks like he'd get drunk on his own power. Putin looks like the type to leave it unopened in his cellar, next to some political prisoners.

The old 'drunk with power' thing doesn't usually work like that with democratic leaders, though. They usually just age really quickly and look haggard by the time they get kicked out.

Luis Anaconda
05-13-2016, 02:08 PM
The old 'drunk with power' thing doesn't usually work like that with democratic leaders, though. They usually just age really quickly and look haggard by the time they get kicked out.

Pretty sums up most of my nights down the pub, b

Billy Goat Sverige
05-13-2016, 02:11 PM
Hang on... 'we'?

For shame!

Only for the stuff they're better at, which isn't a lot really.

PSRB
05-13-2016, 02:18 PM

Missing you Big T.

It appears I shall be attending a Eurovision party :-\ I enjoy it and all but it's something best watched on your own sofa. Unfortunately the wife's mate has decided to have a party for it

Ash
05-13-2016, 03:22 PM
Here's what I don't get. Vladimir Putin's Russia is in charge of a gigantic nuclear arsenal, pursues a highly aggressive foreign policy, shoots down airliners, constantly overflies sovereign western airspace, invades his neighbours, threatens energy blockades, murders and represses his own citizens and has generally behaved incredibly provocatively for a decade or so and we don't hear a peep out of you about what a menace to international peace Russia are.

On the other hand, the US looks like they might be half thinking of electing a rather ridiculous and comical populist and you're immediately convinced he'll trigger Armageddon.

If you want a serious debate about the comparisons between US and Russian aggressive foreign policies I'm game. Russia has intervened in what, two countries - Georgia and Ukraine, for the purposes of protecting Russian speakers against some pretty unsavoury US-backed elements. 90% of the Crimean population wanted Russian protection. Crimea is historically Russian, as you know, before some USSR Stalinist decided to attach it to Ukraine for some administrative purpose. Victoria Nuland has bragged about the billions the US have spent to try and detach Ukraine from the Russian sphere of influence, and the conflict in Ukraine was primarily provoked by the US, not Russia. Putin didn't shoot down that bloody airliner. It was almost certainly an accident. And who benefits? Only those cynical opportunists looking to whip up some Russophobia.

Russia is the power actually fighting and defeating IS in Syria, while the US backs IS sponsors Saudi and Turkey. I don't now how many times this point has to be made before it sinks in.

Russia's robust military outlook is defensive. There is no talk of manifest destiny, no hawks and neocons, no humanitarian crusaders wanting to project Russian power over the globe. They know the US game. Zbigniew Brzezinski's giant chessboard.

Burney
05-13-2016, 03:48 PM
If you want a serious debate about the comparisons between US and Russian aggressive foreign policies I'm game. Russia has intervened in what, two countries - Georgia and Ukraine, for the purposes of protecting Russian speakers against some pretty unsavoury US-backed elements. 90% of the Crimean population wanted Russian protection. Crimea is historically Russian, as you know, before some USSR Stalinist decided to attach it to Ukraine for some administrative purpose. Victoria Nuland has bragged about the billions the US have spent to try and detach Ukraine from the Russian sphere of influence, and the conflict in Ukraine was primarily provoked by the US, not Russia. Putin didn't shoot down that bloody airliner. It was almost certainly an accident. And who benefits? Only those cynical opportunists looking to whip up some Russophobia.

Russia is the power actually fighting and defeating IS in Syria, while the US backs IS sponsors Saudi and Turkey. I don't now how many times this point has to be made before it sinks in.

Russia's robust military outlook is defensive. There is no talk of manifest destiny, no hawks and neocons, no humanitarian crusaders wanting to project Russian power over the globe. They know the US game. Zbigniew Brzezinski's giant chessboard.

I'm afraid that so much of your rhetoric could have come straight from the Kremlin that it loses all credibility, a.

The cynical semantics of saying 'intervene' when you mean 'invade', for instance.
The 'protection of ethnic brethren' nonsense - the oldest excuse in the book for invading and annexing other countries (see Hitler, Sudetenland, 1938, Hitler, Poland, 1939, etc, etc).
The 'historical' argument. Calais is 'historically' British. Does that mean we should nip in and nab it?
The conflict in Ukraine was only 'provoked by the US' if you take the staggeringly naive view that the Russian government did nothing to foment the pro-Russian unrest that led to the conflict and if you take the view that military action by pro-Russian and actually Russian forces was justified .
Russian forces did shoot down that airliner. The missiles were operated by Russian forces and had come over the border just days earlier. Those were Putin's orders. That's Putin's responsibility.
Russia isn't actually fighting IS most of the time. It's fighting Assad's enemies. That's far from being the same thing. Also, what is Russia's game in Syria, do you think? An altruistic desire to defeat IS or maybe - just possibly - an attempt to project power across the globe in a vital geopolitical region?

You're an intelligent man, a. Don't spout transparent propaganda *******s at me. Putin's is a very nasty regime that is behaving provocatively and aggressively at every turn. It is not 'defensive' to conduct constant incursions into foreign sovereign airspace.

Russia's like the nasty drunk in the bar, barging into everyone, spilling their drinks and shouting abuse. Sooner or later, it's going to get the fight it's trying to provoke. Turkey gave it a well-deserved slap by shooting its plane down, but the worry is that its antics are going to cause something even more serious.

Donald
05-13-2016, 05:13 PM

Actually The Donald is a big admirer of Putin.