PDA

View Full Version : :music: Two more years! :vsign: Two more years :vsign: :music:

The Jorge
05-12-2016, 11:22 PM
The Times are reporting tonight that Arsene Wenger is to be offered a new deal at the club.

A two year extension is apparently in the offing with majority shareholder Stan Kroenke keen for the Frenchman to put pen to paper early next season at the latest. They suggest there’s an October deadline on the offer, leaving Arsenal time to find a replacement if Wenger decides that the 2016/17 season is to be his last.

There have been whispers of a new deal doing the rounds for some time now, but in the current climate it would be extremely difficult to make any such announcement, even if there were agreement on all sides.

The 66 year old Frenchman is now under more pressure from fans than at any other time in his career at the club, with protests in the stands at the recent home game against Norwich.

Although dressed up as a wide ranging protest at many aspects of the way the club is run, the crux of the matter was managerial change.

Speaking after the protests, Wenger’s message was somewhat conciliatory, saying, “We respect the opinion of everybody, and that we give absolutely the best. I’ve shown my commitment to this club. I care for the club and the fans.

“I’m really sorry that I cannot make them all happy, of course, but we’ll continue to work hard to achieve it.”

Doubts will remain, however, but the Frenchman will have considerable funds at his disposal as he enters the final year of his current deal.

There are already links to big money signings, with Swiss midfielder Granit Xhaka the subject of a €43m bid.

This latest news comes as Forbes released a report which showed Arsenal valued at over $2bn, the 5th most valuable club in world football today.

Wenger certainly does merit criticism, but an owner who has presided over the stockpiling of huge amounts of cash has only recently begun to attract fan ire himself. With season ticket renewal letters going out this week, it remains to be seen how well the club have judged the public mood in terms of the manager’s future.

barrybueno
05-13-2016, 01:30 AM
yay107
cpfc cpfc cpfc

Burney
05-13-2016, 08:07 AM
The Times are reporting tonight that Arsene Wenger is to be offered a new deal at the club.

A two year extension is apparently in the offing with majority shareholder Stan Kroenke keen for the Frenchman to put pen to paper early next season at the latest. They suggest there’s an October deadline on the offer, leaving Arsenal time to find a replacement if Wenger decides that the 2016/17 season is to be his last.

There have been whispers of a new deal doing the rounds for some time now, but in the current climate it would be extremely difficult to make any such announcement, even if there were agreement on all sides.

The 66 year old Frenchman is now under more pressure from fans than at any other time in his career at the club, with protests in the stands at the recent home game against Norwich.

Although dressed up as a wide ranging protest at many aspects of the way the club is run, the crux of the matter was managerial change.

Speaking after the protests, Wenger’s message was somewhat conciliatory, saying, “We respect the opinion of everybody, and that we give absolutely the best. I’ve shown my commitment to this club. I care for the club and the fans.

“I’m really sorry that I cannot make them all happy, of course, but we’ll continue to work hard to achieve it.”

Doubts will remain, however, but the Frenchman will have considerable funds at his disposal as he enters the final year of his current deal.

There are already links to big money signings, with Swiss midfielder Granit Xhaka the subject of a €43m bid.

This latest news comes as Forbes released a report which showed Arsenal valued at over $2bn, the 5th most valuable club in world football today.

Wenger certainly does merit criticism, but an owner who has presided over the stockpiling of huge amounts of cash has only recently begun to attract fan ire himself. With season ticket renewal letters going out this week, it remains to be seen how well the club have judged the public mood in terms of the manager’s future.

:-/ Not really sure how I feel about that, tbh.

Sir C
05-13-2016, 08:14 AM
:-/ Not really sure how I feel about that, tbh.

Imagine the meltdown :cloud9:

We might get to see actual human heads explode, live on Arsenalfantv!

Burney
05-13-2016, 08:20 AM
Imagine the meltdown :cloud9:

We might get to see actual human heads explode, live on Arsenalfantv!

There is that, I suppose. But I just want him to walk away. He deserves better than being exposed to these ****s for another two seasons. :-(

Just Trent
05-13-2016, 08:25 AM
They'll be dancing in the streets of Islington in May. Oh wait, it's actually a mass suicide ritual.

7sisters
05-13-2016, 08:31 AM
Safety first policy from a largely disinterested board.

Sir C
05-13-2016, 08:33 AM
There is that, I suppose. But I just want him to walk away. He deserves better than being exposed to these ****s for another two seasons. :-(

I'm starting to feel that he is actually even wiser than we might have imagined. I believe he understands the enormity of the business and the gravity of his position as de facto CEO, and gives not a fleeting flying fart for the antics of society's lunatic fringe.

:clap: wd arsene

Burney
05-13-2016, 08:35 AM
I'm starting to feel that he is actually even wiser than we might have imagined. I believe he understands the enormity of the business and the gravity of his position as de facto CEO, and gives not a fleeting flying fart for the antics of society's lunatic fringe.

:clap: wd arsene

But he looks so old and haggard! He looks 10 years older than he is. :-( It looks like it's killing him.

Pokster
05-13-2016, 08:35 AM

He has just denied it and called the story an invention

Personally he can leave at the end of next season, no way does he deserve another contract

Sir C
05-13-2016, 08:36 AM
Safety first policy from a largely disinterested board.

I wonder whether you might mean uninterested?

Either way, I'm sure they're interested in acting in the best interests of the company which is, of course, a legal requirement.

Sir C
05-13-2016, 08:36 AM
But he looks so old and haggard! He looks 10 years older than he is. :-( It looks like it's killing him.

I don't think that's stress; I'd say it's the result of 60 years of healthy eating and regular exercise :-(

Burney
05-13-2016, 08:42 AM
I wonder if the poor fellow eats at all. His missus left him, didn't she?

PSRB
05-13-2016, 08:46 AM

He has jusy denied it in his presser. Said he'll see how next season goes

Sir C
05-13-2016, 08:48 AM
I wonder if the poor fellow eats at all. His missus left him, didn't she?

I'd imagine it's wholemeal pasta with steamed broccolli 3 times a day :-(

She may have been the root of the problem, being an athlete herself. She almost certainly encouraged his monastic lifestyle. What he needs is a properly decadent good time girl, the sort who can suck a golf ball through a hosepipe, who will spoon feed him foie gras and pour Sauternes down his neck before riding him like a rodeo bull. Yeehaw!

Surely he can find such a woman? We both did.

Burney
05-13-2016, 08:55 AM

She may have been the root of the problem, being an athlete herself. She almost certainly encouraged his monastic lifestyle. What he needs is a properly decadent good time girl, the sort who can suck a golf ball through a hosepipe, who will spoon feed him foie gras and pour Sauternes down his neck before riding him like a rodeo bull. Yeehaw!

To be fair, neither of us has ever had any great difficulty pouring wine and food down our own necks.

Pokster
05-13-2016, 09:03 AM

Message reported to Crazy Dog.... are you saying you are b both found the same woman?

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
05-13-2016, 11:53 AM
You mean he has denied going to the board and telling them to get a new contract ready :-D

In truth, if the board have anything about them, they cannot possibly wait and see how next season goes before they act. They either have to tie him down or start looking. How much of a disaster would it be if he walked at the end of next season and there was no plan in place?

I have very little knowledge about the capability of this board. I do not think they have had the opportunity to show anything. This might be the first test. Not sure whether to hold my breath.

Ash
05-13-2016, 12:12 PM
In truth, if the board have anything about them, they cannot possibly wait and see how next season goes before they act. They either have to tie him down or start looking. How much of a disaster would it be if he walked at the end of next season and there was no plan in place?

Right. Appointing the next manager in advance and leaving Pellegrini as a lame duck worked well for City. :-|

7sisters
05-13-2016, 12:21 PM
Right. Appointing the next manager in advance and leaving Pellegrini as a lame duck worked well for City. :-|
Posted similar the other day. Squad apathy could become a problem.. Signs this season already of wenger losing influence and becoming more isolated.. A new manager would also want to have a blank canvas therefore what's the point in having an outgoing manager as an architect for the next squard rebuild.. This can't end well..

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
05-13-2016, 06:03 PM
This is not the same scenario. Pellegrini wasn't expecting to leave this summer.

The board need to have more than one plan. Putting all their eggs in the Wenger basket is poor management

Mo Britain less Europe
05-13-2016, 10:21 PM
Wenger said when Ferguson got to 70 that he wouldn't want to be managing at 70, so clearly the latest he plans to work at is 69. He will be 68 when his contract is up so will he seek a 1 year extension, retire or stand to be called a liar for staying on beyond what he said he'd do?