PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand the furore over testing primary school aged kids

Brentwood
05-10-2016, 07:04 AM
Parents are complaining that the tests are too difficult, but maybe that's because they are the product of lower standards themselves? The 11+ exams in the 60s look like they were much more challenging.

Apparently, in Singapore kids can answer these maths questions with ease and leave school being fluent in 2 languages. How can we get up to their standard unless we measure kids at all ages?

Pokster
05-10-2016, 08:09 AM
Parents are complaining that the tests are too difficult, but maybe that's because they are the product of lower standards themselves? The 11+ exams in the 60s look like they were much more challenging.

Apparently, in Singapore kids can answer these maths questions with ease and leave school being fluent in 2 languages. How can we get up to their standard unless we measure kids at all ages?

The reason parents are complianing is that the questions are worded in a way that the school kids haven't been taught... the top kids will be able to work it out but a lot of them haven't been given the skills to do so

Brentwood
05-10-2016, 08:20 AM
Surely this is the best way to find out which kids need to develop these skills then?

Pokster
05-10-2016, 08:28 AM
Surely this is the best way to find out which kids need to develop these skills then?

I would suggest the teachers already know which kids need it from all the pre stats tests they do in the weeks leading up to this

Luis Anaconda
05-10-2016, 08:40 AM
I would suggest the teachers already know which kids need it from all the pre stats tests they do in the weeks leading up to this

I think they got it right in the Hunger Games

The Jorge
05-10-2016, 08:41 AM
I'm in two minds about this, personally. Yes, it's good to find a level, especially on a macro level but there does seem to be a lot of pressure on the kids. I also dont think we should overlook the fact that the parents were all from the Participant's Medal generation and werent tested hardly at all in education.

Anyway, if you ask me, the sooner they get away from the idea that education or qualifications are a key to a happy, fulfilling and successful life the better they'll be.

The idea of parents taking their kids out of school "on strike" is not only a crazy, middle-class stay-at-home-mum fantasy, it's also a slap in the face to those who fought long and hard for worker's rights, not to mention those who have had them removed.

The Jorge
05-10-2016, 08:42 AM
I think they got it right in the Hunger Games

Pfft, Battle Royale imo

Brentwood
05-10-2016, 08:58 AM
I'm in two minds about this, personally. Yes, it's good to find a level, especially on a macro level but there does seem to be a lot of pressure on the kids. I also dont think we should overlook the fact that the parents were all from the Participant's Medal generation and werent tested hardly at all in education.

Anyway, if you ask me, the sooner they get away from the idea that education or qualifications are a key to a happy, fulfilling and successful life the better they'll be.

The idea of parents taking their kids out of school "on strike" is not only a crazy, middle-class stay-at-home-mum fantasy, it's also a slap in the face to those who fought long and hard for worker's rights, not to mention those who have had them removed.

I think the pressure is caused by the parents and teachers in the first place. Just treat it as a type of game or something, as it obviously won't have any meaningful impact on their future.

There are happy and successful people who don't have a good education or qualifications, but it makes adult life a hell of a lot easier if these kids have them

The Jorge
05-10-2016, 09:06 AM
There are happy and successful people who don't have a good education or qualifications, but it makes adult life a hell of a lot easier if these kids have them

Yes, though I dont think there is perhaps the same weight of argument as to the benefits now that there once was.

Luis Anaconda
05-10-2016, 09:09 AM
I think the pressure is caused by the parents and teachers in the first place. Just treat it as a type of game or something, as it obviously won't have any meaningful impact on their future.

What age do kids start school in Norway, b. People seem to be shocked here when I tell them we started at 4/5 years old. Even more ridiculous was that when I did the 12+ exam those of us who had started year 1 in September, as opposed to January were handicapped in the results - coz those couple of months 6/7 years earlier were such a difference

Luis Anaconda
05-10-2016, 09:10 AM
Pfft, Battle Royale imo

:hide: Shocker - quite right j

The Jorge
05-10-2016, 09:13 AM
:hide: Shocker - quite right j

Why use a Hollywood one when an obsucre Japanese cult option exists? #cinemahipster

PS you didnt get Allan'd this morning, well done

Brentwood
05-10-2016, 09:18 AM
What age do kids start school in Norway, b. People seem to be shocked here when I tell them we started at 4/5 years old. Even more ridiculous was that when I did the 12+ exam those of us who had started year 1 in September, as opposed to January were handicapped in the results - coz those couple of months 6/7 years earlier were such a difference

Kids go to barnehage (kindegarten) from 08:00 - 15:00 every day from the age of 1 and they start to learn really basic stuff from that age. For example, they are taught how to count to ten in English. Then, they start primary school at 6

Luis Anaconda
05-10-2016, 09:29 AM
Why use a Hollywood one when an obsucre Japanese cult option exists? #cinemahipster

PS you didnt get Allan'd this morning, well done

I only just saw that

That is practically Austria - strange things happen in them there parts