PDA

View Full Version : Jorge. I am becoming disappointed with my Macbook!

Pat Vegas
05-05-2016, 02:18 PM
Whilst it's a lovely machine.

As soon as I do anything intensive such as video editing it starts over heating and the fans kick in. :-(
I expect more for something that cost over £1300 when I bought it.

The Jorge
05-05-2016, 02:21 PM

As soon as I do anything intensive such as video editing it starts over heating and the fans kick in. :-(

The fan's there to stop it overheating. Try and do the same thing on a PS and it will sound like a jet taking off.

You'll be coating off Jags next

Dr Headgear - Wannabe viking
05-05-2016, 02:24 PM
You got much, much, more for your £1300. You got that nice Apple logo and a brushed aluminium case, for a start. Not to mention Silver Membership level of the Apple Snobs club.

PSRB
05-05-2016, 02:41 PM

He's a lovely fella, no need for that

barrybueno
05-05-2016, 02:42 PM
Not much point in asking you 'how d'ya like those apples then'

The Jorge
05-05-2016, 02:46 PM
He's a lovely fella, no need for that

He's back and fit too, isnt he? Presumably he's up for a bit of euro action this summer

Ash
05-05-2016, 02:46 PM
You got much, much, more for your £1300. You got that nice Apple logo and a brushed aluminium case, for a start. Not to mention Silver Membership level of the Apple Snobs club.

I hope he's going to posh cafes and setting it up at a table by the window with the logo pointing outwards or he's simply not getting his monies worth.

Pat Vegas
05-05-2016, 03:00 PM
The fan's there to stop it overheating. Try and do the same thing on a PS and it will sound like a jet taking off.

Ah it's a good thing then? in my experience in the past when fans sound loud it sounds like bad news!

TheCurly
05-05-2016, 03:02 PM
Ah it's a good thing then? in my experience in the past when fans sound loud it sounds like bad news!

You'll not have this problem at the Emirates,F

Pat Vegas
05-05-2016, 03:03 PM
You'll not have this problem at the Emirates,F

:hehe: :hehe:

Pat Vegas
05-05-2016, 03:04 PM
I hope he's going to posh cafes and setting it up at a table by the window with the logo pointing outwards or he's simply not getting his monies worth.

My Macbook will never been shown in public.
Apart from this fan thing it runs lovely. No waiting for it start up. ready to go.

The Jorge
05-05-2016, 03:05 PM

Yeah, it's fine. They make things super thin so the heat, because of convection, can be an issue, the fans are there to keep it cool. Aside from the fact it's a mac.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
05-05-2016, 03:06 PM

Like with a lot of Apple products, it is a shiny new piece of kit that looks good. Once you scratch beneath the surface, it's all a bit hollow. Proves just how good the Apple marketing machine is.

Pat Vegas
05-05-2016, 03:07 PM
Yeah, it's fine. They make things super thin so the heat, because of convection, can be an issue, the fans are there to keep it cool. Aside from the fact it's a mac.

excellent. I had it for a while now I really should learn all of it's capacities.

It is fantastic for recording guitar. So easy.

IUFG
05-05-2016, 03:12 PM
To be fair to Apple and their products, the main faults generally lie with the Massive Hampshire Fans on the end of the mouse / touchpad

:hide:

barrybueno
05-05-2016, 03:17 PM
the first line in the instructions? 'Ask not what your Applemac can do for you' etc

PSRB
05-05-2016, 04:18 PM
He's back and fit too, isnt he? Presumably he's up for a bit of euro action this summer

Not a clue, one minute he says he's out for the season and the next he's back in training

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
05-05-2016, 05:50 PM

Pat, is it a MBPro or MBAir?

If it's an Air, then you shouldn't really be doing video editing on it. You want a MBP for that.

Let me know which one you have. We still use FCP7, not FCPX for our video editing. Which is really annoying as it's only 32-bit.

We'll probably have to move to Premiere. But my beloved has been using FCP since she went back to learn it properly at college, and it does what we need to.

But is it an Air or a Pro?

05-05-2016, 05:53 PM
J, imo you shouldn't be doing video editing on an Air, only on a Pro.

My beloved's out filming in India atm, having to lug all the equipment round with her.

If she could use an Air, not a Pro, to run FCP properly, I would have got her one. But you can't so she has a MBP in a compartment of her camera bag, along with microphones and batteries and headphones. And a lens bumbag, and a tripod, and a bag with the light and it's batteries and chargers.

She'd love to only have to carry an Air.

But you need a Pro.

05-05-2016, 05:57 PM
Sorry, replied in the wrong place.

Pat, is it an Air or a Pro?

I wouldn't advise doing video editing on an Air. You'd need a Pro to run FCP properly. That's prob why you have this problem.

Please let me know which one you have.

We have a 2011 MBP (and before that a 2008 one) and they stayed silent when doing video editing with FCP7 - even when rendering.

You can't have your cake and eat it. If you want a small machine, it doesn't have the power of a larger one.

Which have you got? If it's an air, then that explains it. If it's a Pro then it shouldn't be doing that and you should contact them.

eastgermanautos
05-05-2016, 06:57 PM
That's basically the number one payoff, and it's considerable.

The Jorge
05-05-2016, 07:13 PM
J, imo you shouldn't be doing video editing on an Air, only on a Pro.

My beloved's out filming in India atm, having to lug all the equipment round with her.

If she could use an Air, not a Pro, to run FCP properly, I would have got her one. But you can't so she has a MBP in a compartment of her camera bag, along with microphones and batteries and headphones. And a lens bumbag, and a tripod, and a bag with the light and it's batteries and chargers.

She'd love to only have to carry an Air.

But you need a Pro.

Ninja please! Of course I'm rocking a pro.

:-)

05-05-2016, 07:59 PM
I meant Pat, not you, obv, J.

Of course you'd have a Pro.

I just thought maybe Pat had an Air if he was having this problem.

Pat Vegas
05-06-2016, 09:31 AM
It's a macbook pro. Though couple years old now.