PDA

View Full Version : Last week I had the best opening line ever from a street God botherer

TheCurly
05-05-2016, 11:12 AM
"excuse me Sir,have you been washed in the blood of the Lamb"
I was very tempted to stay and chat

IUFG
05-05-2016, 11:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmyuE0NpNgE

Sir C
05-05-2016, 11:40 AM

And have you been washed in the blood of the lamb, c?

TheCurly
05-05-2016, 11:46 AM
And have you been washed in the blood of the lamb, c?

I think it's mostly Palm Olive tbh

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
05-05-2016, 02:41 PM

Wouldn't a God botherer be someone who doesn't believe in god?

Ash
05-05-2016, 02:53 PM
Wouldn't a God botherer be someone who doesn't believe in god?

No, that's an atheist.

You see, god has to exist to be bothered by anything. Gods only exist for theists, who are constantly lobbying them for favours, preferences and priviledges. Hence the phrase 'god botherer'.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
05-05-2016, 05:37 PM
I converted a Jehovah's Witness to Vedism during a 7 min wait on Angel tube station's platform.

He asked if I ever think about God. I said yes. He asked if I wanted to talk about it.....

I explained that the 3 wise men came from the east and that c.270BC Ashoka the Great unified India and converted to Buddhism after seeing the horrors of the battle. And that by 0AD, the whole of India was Buddhist.

I explained that all 4 Gospels say nothing of JC's life between arguing with the Pharisees in the temple at the age of 12/13 and coming back and turning water into wine aged 30.

But he went off into the wilderness, to the East, after the argument.

So clearly he went to India, met Vedic holymen like the 3 wise men, and studied transcendental meditation.

He then came back and taught Buddhism/Hinduism to Jews in words of one syllable. Turn the other cheek, do unto others etc.

By now the tube had come and me and my mate got on.

But just before the doors closed, I told him that if he really wanted to understand Jesus, this showed that he should follow the Vedic religions, as this was a reason that Christianity was less violent and God's chosen peoplely than the other two Abrahamic ones.

It's basically Vedism explained to middle eastern ****wits.

He had this weird look on his face, as though he was trying to compute it all. But he didn't disagree with anything I said.

Here's hoping he's living as a Saddhu in the Himalayas, communing with the Divine by smoking stonking great chillums 24/7

The Jorge
05-05-2016, 07:16 PM
I converted a Jehovah's Witness to Vedism during a 7 min wait on Angel tube station's platform.

You dont want to do that, they're wired differently and thus it's a potential fire hazard.

Only kidding, I'm a comitted atheist but if I had to chose one pantheon to throw my weight behind it'd be the ganjees paddlers every time.

Ash
05-05-2016, 07:56 PM
You dont want to do that, they're wired differently and thus it's a potential fire hazard.

Only kidding, I'm a comitted atheist but if I had to chose one pantheon to throw my weight behind it'd be the ganjees paddlers every time.

Doesn't seem that long ago you were arguing in favour of agnosticism. Or have you gone a bit agnostic on the agnosticism?

05-05-2016, 08:02 PM
The look on his face when the doors shut was priceless.

He couldn't argue with any of the stuff I'd said from the Gospels, such as the 3 wise men, the Pharisees and the water into wine being his first miracle when he came back from the wilderness.

Nor about turn the other cheek, do unto others etc.

I honestly think I'd shaken his PoV a bit. Not shaken his belief, just shown him there may be more to it than he'd previously thought.

Best wait for a tube ever, imo. So glad he was there and tried to bother me.

05-05-2016, 08:06 PM
Also, isn't being an Atheist, as opposed to an agnostic, showing a fundamental faith in a tenet of your own personal philosophy? The sort of things people slag off Allans for?

I mean, as you can't disprove the existence of God, if you say you're certain, then surely you're saying "I can't prove it but I know it must be true as that's what all my tribe tell me and I think they're right."

What I would ask the atheists is why they reckon so many different cultures that use psychedelics all believe it can unlock different planes of consciousness on which one can commune with the Divine?

Why do Saddhus and druids and acid-heads all get munted and talk to God?

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
05-05-2016, 08:21 PM
I would have thought that it bothers God more that I don't believe in him or her. If we do create him or her in our o own image then that person would be a bit pissed

The Jorge
05-05-2016, 08:46 PM
Doesn't seem that long ago you were arguing in favour of agnosticism. Or have you gone a bit agnostic on the agnosticism?

No, I fount agnosticism through committed atheism. You cant believe there isnt a god for very long before analysing it to the point that there might be.

The Jorge
05-05-2016, 09:09 PM
Also, isn't being an Atheist, as opposed to an agnostic, showing a fundamental faith in a tenet of your own personal philosophy? The sort of things people slag off Allans for?

I mean, as you can't disprove the existence of God, if you say you're certain, then surely you're saying "I can't prove it but I know it must be true as that's what all my tribe tell me and I think they're right."

What I would ask the atheists is why they reckon so many different cultures that use psychedelics all believe it can unlock different planes of consciousness on which one can commune with the Divine?

Why do Saddhus and druids and acid-heads all get munted and talk to God?

Yes, exactly that.

Though I do think mankind has a passionate, burning desire to athropomorphise everything ever and that is the single biggest reason for the phenomenon. And bare in mind I've done plenty of psychedelic adventuring.

Ash
05-05-2016, 09:28 PM

Bit of a claim to make, though. My experience of the devout is that their faith is fairly impervious to questioning, and having no immediate response is hardly a conversion.

05-05-2016, 09:50 PM
Yes, exactly that.

, burning desire to athropomorphise everything ever

But it's not anthropomorphic if you're dealing with a non-human hyperintelligence of pure love that is the holistic sum of all particles and thoughts and feelings that ever were are and will be. {And that's barely scratching Its surface, imo.}

Yes, you can see him as an old white man with a beard, but once you go beyond that, a multidimensional hyperintelligence of pure love the size of all spacetime and more can't be described as anthropomorphism.

{And remember that just because you didn't see something on psychedelics doesn't mean that those who claim to have are wrong. You can go on a safari and not see a lion every time you go. Doesn't mean they don't exist, that those who saw lions are misguided.}

The Jorge
05-05-2016, 10:43 PM
But it's not anthropomorphic if you're dealing with a non-human hyperintelligence of pure love that is the holistic sum of all particles and thoughts and feelings that ever were are and will be. {And that's barely scratching Its surface, imo.}

Yes, you can see him as an old white man with a beard, but once you go beyond that, a multidimensional hyperintelligence of pure love the size of all spacetime and more can't be described as anthropomorphism.

{And remember that just because you didn't see something on psychedelics doesn't mean that those who claim to have are wrong. You can go on a safari and not see a lion every time you go. Doesn't mean they don't exist, that those who saw lions are misguided.}

I'm not claiming I'm right here, I think this is worth stressing. I'm immensely jealous of those people who have faith, any faith. It must be a wonderful thing to have. In my mind though, the beauty in the sublime is just chaos, just some countless iteration that got it right. Here, now. That's incredibly beautiful in itself. I just cant attribute it to any being, whether it be an old white dude with a beard or a herd of wild cows stampeding across the plains.

Though, it has to be said, I saw plenty of things in the depths of peyote binges, some of which claimed to be god. So you could well be right.

Ash
05-05-2016, 11:00 PM
Though, it has to be said, I saw plenty of things in the depths of peyote binges, some of which claimed to be god.

They may have been lying.

Ash
05-05-2016, 11:05 PM

I've had experiences with psychedelics that I thought at the time could be metaphysical, but I subsequently believed to be .... just psychedelic. I thought I saw Margeret Thatcher's face in a tile, but it didn't mean she was really there.

Anyway, as far as we know, love is anthropomorphic anyway.

Ash
05-05-2016, 11:07 PM
No, I fount agnosticism through committed atheism. You cant believe there isnt a god for very long before analysing it to the point that there might be.

I can. :vsign: