PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone actually give a **** about this London Mayoral election?

Burney
05-05-2016, 08:23 AM
It may just be the fact that this is the first one I've not been able to vote in, but it's more that neither of the candidates has the slightest appeal to me. Khan is a bog-standard Labour career apparatchik who's desperately trying to distance himself from the leadership in order to win, while Goldsmith is a tree-hugging personality vacuum. All in all, meh.

At least in previous contests you had the fun of voting against Livingstone or for Boris. This is just dreary.

Sir C
05-05-2016, 08:34 AM
It may just be the fact that this is the first one I've not been able to vote in, but it's more that neither of the candidates has the slightest appeal to me. Khan is a bog-standard Labour career apparatchik who's desperately trying to distance himself from the leadership in order to win, while Goldsmith is a tree-hugging personality vacuum. All in all, meh.

At least in previous contests you had the fun of voting against Livingstone or for Boris. This is just dreary.

I read some comparisons of Khan and Goldsmith's 'policies' the other day. They're both going to summon up half a million houses, improve public transport and make London the 'greenest' city on the planet, so with magical powers like these, it doesn't really matter which one is elected, does it? It looks like a win-win either way.

Burney
05-05-2016, 08:39 AM
I read some comparisons of Khan and Goldsmith's 'policies' the other day. They're both going to summon up half a million houses, improve public transport and make London the 'greenest' city on the planet, so with magical powers like these, it doesn't really matter which one is elected, does it? It looks like a win-win either way.

Yes. The fact that they don't really have the power to do any of those things notwithstanding, it looks like it'll be a golden age for London over the next few years.

Sir C
05-05-2016, 08:41 AM
Yes. The fact that they don't really have the power to do any of those things notwithstanding, it looks like it'll be a golden age for London over the next few years.

It does seem rather strange that the Tory party couldn't find a candidate with more life in him than the apparently comatose wet lettuce that is Goldsmith. Dull bugger.

Burney
05-05-2016, 08:45 AM
It does seem rather strange that the Tory party couldn't find a candidate with more life in him than the apparently comatose wet lettuce that is Goldsmith. Dull bugger.

Well when they're in power, there are much better jobs for anyone of personality or ambition, so the best candidates will steer clear. It's a job that has much more to offer an ambitious candidate when their party's in opposition than when they're in power.

IUFG
05-05-2016, 09:11 AM
No. I don't live in London. Thankfully.

Mo Britain less Europe
05-05-2016, 09:44 AM
Do you know how much money the London Mayor can spend? More than the heads of many countries in Europe. That's why it matters.

The two leading candidates are certainly rather less colourful than their predecessors.

Burney
05-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Do you know how much money the London Mayor can spend? More than the heads of many countries in Europe. That's why it matters.

The two leading candidates are certainly rather less colourful than their predecessors.

Sure, but they can only spend it in very limited areas. Their powers are basically limited to spending on building on Greater London Authority land and transport - both of which are hedged about with so many other influencing factors as to make them virtually powerless.

The Jorge
05-05-2016, 10:21 AM

I think it's something like a devolved budget of 13bn, isnt it?

Burney
05-05-2016, 10:23 AM
I think it's something like a devolved budget of 13bn, isnt it?

I'm curious to know which European countries have a budget of less than £13 billion, tbh.

Ash
05-05-2016, 12:49 PM

I'm voting for Caroline Pidgeon, because she opposes the ridicules garden bridge vanity project. Obviously she won't win, so my B vote goes to Khan, because he's not Goldsmith.

PSRB
05-05-2016, 12:53 PM

Nope, I believe we are supposed to getting one in Manchester* :shrug:

Clearly not a London Mayor, that would be silly

The Jorge
05-05-2016, 12:53 PM
I'm voting for Caroline Pidgeon,

Is she won of the scary ones with the club foot and the mangy feathers?

The Jorge
05-05-2016, 12:55 PM
Does he mean GDP or budget though?

Burney
05-05-2016, 01:07 PM
Does he mean GDP or budget though?

Either would be piddlingly small, I'd have thought

Sir C
05-05-2016, 01:09 PM
I'm curious to know which European countries have a budget of less than £13 billion, tbh.

Could it be Ireland? The price of spuds on the international market isn't what it was, tbh.

The Jorge
05-05-2016, 01:10 PM
Either would be piddlingly small, I'd have thought

Well yes, Tuvalu is $38bn

The Jorge
05-05-2016, 01:11 PM
Could it be Ireland? The price of spuds on the international market isn't what it was, tbh.

Pair of self hating paddies

Ash
05-05-2016, 01:12 PM

Andorra, San Marino, Monaco? The Vatican?

Greece?

Burney
05-05-2016, 01:15 PM
Well yes, Tuvalu is $38bn

And that's mostly from selling the .tv thingummy.