PDA

View Full Version : *New Segment* Pat's budget supermarket sandwich review.

Pat Vegas
05-04-2016, 09:55 AM
http://images4.mysupermarket.co.uk/ProductsDetailed/94/056194.jpg?v=8

Supermarket: Tesco
Price: £1.00
Labelled as: Just ham no Mayo

Basic ham sandwich with white bread.
Though it says No mayo there is definitely some sort of lubricant on the bread. The bread is your basic white bread but good not dry.

Taste: OK,
Top tip. grab one from the back of the fridge as they are fresher. the ones with the grey looking ham avoid.
you will find the odd one that is overly filled I'd go for that.

BUDGET SANDWICH SCORE
VALUE 5 STARS
BREAD 3 STARS
TASTE 3 STARS

Overall 3.5 out of 5.

Sir C
05-04-2016, 09:58 AM

Though it says No mayo there is definitely some sort of lubricant on the bread. The bread is your basic white bread but good not dry.

Top tip. grab one from the back of the fridge as they are fresher. the ones with the grey looking ham avoid.

BUDGET SANDWICH SCORE
VALUE 5 STARS
BREAD 3 STARS
TASTE 3 STARS

Overall 3.5 out of 5.

I sometimes crave the very basic sandwich, but that seems to me somewhat hardcore.

It might be rather nice with a dab of mustard.

Can you do a cheese sandwich review please? With added crisps? (Salt and vinegar, naturally.)

Ash
05-04-2016, 09:59 AM
Good work, Pat. Don't let the snobby spastics see this or they'll go all, like, snobby spastic on your ass.

I recommend trying the Co-op Tuna for 1GPB

Pat Vegas
05-04-2016, 10:01 AM
I sometimes crave the very basic sandwich, but that seems to me somewhat hardcore.

Can you do a cheese sandwich review please? With added crisps? (Salt and vinegar, naturally.)

I will do that next time :nod:

They do a ham and mustard version it's rather nice.

Pat Vegas
05-04-2016, 10:03 AM
Good work, Pat. Don't let the snobby spastics see this or they'll go all, like, snobby spastic on your ass.

I want to know the cut off point is for future reviews.
Greggs do a nice Chicken Tandoori baguette

Then Pret have a nice 'CHICKEN CAESAR & BACON' roll. But I wouldn't consider it in the budget range.

The Jorge
05-04-2016, 10:03 AM

Have you ever had Brannagan's Roast Beef and Mustard crisps in a sandwich? It's revelatory

The Jorge
05-04-2016, 10:04 AM
I want to know the cut off point is for future reviews.
Greggs do a nice Chicken Tandoori baguette

Then Pret have a nice 'CHICKEN CAESAR & BACON' roll. But I wouldn't consider it in the budget range.

Greggs Mexican Chicken Oval Bite is very much the underrated sarnie king

IUFG
05-04-2016, 10:05 AM
for future reference, you could do the budget ready meal

this 'meal solution' retails at just £1.39 in your local Aldi (fill your boots, SW)

https://www.aldi.co.uk/chicken-jalfrezi/p/058113005582600

Sir C
05-04-2016, 10:05 AM

:sniff: I'll have you know that this snobby spastic is about to prepare a sandwich with ragu alla vitello.

IUFG
05-04-2016, 10:06 AM
Greggs is all about, and only about, the Steak Bake.

Sir C
05-04-2016, 10:06 AM
Have you ever had Brannagan's Roast Beef and Mustard crisps in a sandwich? It's revelatory

It's all hypothetical to me, j. I haven't tasted a crisp since I went on a diet in 2009 :-(

Ash
05-04-2016, 10:07 AM
Mexican

Boo!

6 more characters.

Pat Vegas
05-04-2016, 10:07 AM
I will have to purchase a microwave for this.

I don't have space for won. I was just offered 2 free microwaves and turned them all away.

Rich
05-04-2016, 10:09 AM

BUDGET SANDWICH SCORE
VALUE 5 STARS
BREAD 3 STARS
TASTE 3 STARS

Overall 3.5 out of 5.

I didn't get home from work until gone 21:00 last night and therefore had a sandwich for supper. On my way home I purchased a box of 6 x Tesco's Finest Cod Fish Fingers. Granary bread (not sure why you're going for white), a few sprigs of rocket, a dash of tartar sauce and a pinch of salt and cracked black pepper. Goodness me, it was heaven.

4.5/5

Ash
05-04-2016, 10:09 AM
:sniff: I'll have you know that this snobby spastic is about to prepare a sandwich with ragu alla vitello.

You've whooshed me there, old chap. Even the internet won't tell me what that is.

Sir C
05-04-2016, 10:11 AM
You've whooshed me there, old chap. Even the internet won't tell me what that is.

It's bolognese made with veal, basically. I have some left over.

It's going to be a ******* to keep inside a sandwich, isn't it? I think I'll go for Berni's favourite, the open sandwich eaten with a knife and fork.

The Jorge
05-04-2016, 10:14 AM
What?! Seriously?

I would sacrifice all other food for crisps, and possibly my family.

IUFG
05-04-2016, 10:14 AM
I see, all about "Food to Go" is it?

Sir C
05-04-2016, 10:28 AM
What?! Seriously?

I would sacrifice all other food for crisps, and possibly my family.

Well, for the sake of absolute veracity, I will confess to 4 packets during the period. :-(

My life is ****.

The Jorge
05-04-2016, 10:32 AM
Well, for the sake of absolute veracity, I will confess to 4 packets during the period. :-(

My life is ****.

I hope you made the ****ers count, what sort of crisps are we talking about over this seven year period?

SWv2
05-04-2016, 10:36 AM
for future reference, you could do the budget ready meal

this 'meal solution' retails at just £1.39 in your local Aldi (fill your boots, SW)

https://www.aldi.co.uk/chicken-jalfrezi/p/058113005582600

I will ask you to refrain.

:-|

TheCurly
05-04-2016, 10:36 AM

My life is ****.

I've gone off crisps a bit.I used to eat hundreds of the *******s.Low fat/no salt crisps can just **** right off into the sunset

IUFG
05-04-2016, 10:37 AM
It must have been Wotsits. Wotsits are the dogs...

SWv2
05-04-2016, 10:39 AM
I didn't get home from work until gone 21:00 last night and therefore had a sandwich for supper. On my way home I purchased a box of 6 x Tesco's Finest Cod Fish Fingers. Granary bread (not sure why you're going for white), a few sprigs of rocket, a dash of tartar sauce and a pinch of salt and cracked black pepper. Goodness me, it was heaven.

4.5/5

Sometimes* your basic sandwich needs white bread. Balls to so-called healthier options such as your granary and/or associated brown breads.

Your bacon sandwich, your sausage sandwich, your fish finger sandwich. Always white bread.

*Always

The bread can even be a roll if for example you were entertaining.

TheCurly
05-04-2016, 10:40 AM
Sometimes* your basic sandwich needs white bread. Balls to so-called healthier options such as your granary and/or associated brown breads.

Your bacon sandwich, your sausage sandwich, your fish finger sandwich. Always white bread.

*Always

The way I look at the whole white/brown bread debate is that brown bread is for when you have no white bread :shrug:

IUFG
05-04-2016, 10:40 AM
nail. head. hit.

Sir C
05-04-2016, 11:01 AM
I hope you made the ****ers count, what sort of crisps are we talking about over this seven year period?

All taken at moments of extreme emotional weakness:

1. Walkers s&v rammed into thickly-buttered crusty rolls with slabs of mature cheddar. One of the finest meals of my life.

2. Lays Poulet Roti au Thyme, taken in the car park of a French motorway service station 'twixt Montpellier and Nimes. I was on my way to eat an 11 course tasting menu prepared by Pascal Barbot, so didn't want much in the way of lunch.

3. Lays Paprika flavour, eaten in Munich whilst struggling with a horrendous hangover. (Thanks la. Thanks a bunch.)

4. A packet of salt and vinegar Hula Hoops. Can't remember why.

As you can see, these are most pleasing crisps. Which are your favourites?

The Jorge
05-04-2016, 11:06 AM

1. Walkers s&v rammed into thickly-buttered crusty rolls with slabs of mature cheddar. One of the finest meals of my life.

2. Lays Poulet Roti au Thyme, taken in the car park of a French motorway service station 'twixt Montpellier and Nimes. I was on my way to eat an 11 course tasting menu prepared by Pascal Barbot, so didn't want much in the way of lunch.

3. Lays Paprika flavour, eaten in Munich whilst struggling with a horrendous hangover. (Thanks la. Thanks a bunch.)

A fine selection. My favourites, in no particular order, are:
Brannagan's Roast Beef & Mustard
S&V, any strong variety will do but Tescos do a fine line in wons so strong it will make you see the future.
Roast Beef and Pickled Onion Monster Munch
And, when abroad, Jamon Ruffles.
Marmite Walkers

Burney
05-04-2016, 11:24 AM
It's all hypothetical to me, j. I haven't tasted a crisp since I went on a diet in 2009 :-(

I succumbed to crisps and beer on Sunday in order to recover.

Burney
05-04-2016, 11:28 AM

Those shallot vinegar ones we had in a supermarket carpark between Calais and St Omer were a bit special imo. I always buy them whenever I'm in France.

We may have to face the possibility that the French have better crisps than we do. :-( Although they don't have cheese and onion, which is a major failing. Also, they have bolognese flavour, which are disgusting.

Sir C
05-04-2016, 11:33 AM
I succumbed to crisps and beer on Sunday in order to recover.

I ate a whole tin of Quality Street. The whole tin. :-(

Ash
05-04-2016, 11:39 AM
I ate a whole tin of Quality Street. The whole tin. :-(

My word. What's the point of denying yourself crisps for seven years if this sort of thing is going to happen?

The Jorge
05-04-2016, 11:40 AM
My word. What's the point of denying yourself crisps for seven years if this sort of thing is going to happen?

I suspect he actually enjoys the pennance of self-flagellation. At least as much as the crisps

SWv2
05-04-2016, 11:43 AM
Denying yourself any food, in moderation, in the absence of specific medical instruction to not eat said food, is silly.

Sir C
05-04-2016, 11:54 AM
Denying yourself any food, in moderation, in the absence of specific medical instruction to not eat said food, is silly.

My strategy of general moderation in all, coupled with total denial of crisps and chocolate, worked, and continues to work, extremely well.

If it hadn't worked, I would agree with you that it was silly.

Sir C
05-04-2016, 11:55 AM

I suppose the point is that the denial of seven years makes this, and occasional other, momentary lapses unimportant.

I don't weigh 20 stone today because I ate too many chocolates on Sunday.

Ash
05-04-2016, 12:01 PM
I suppose the point is that the denial of seven years makes this, and occasional other, momentary lapses unimportant.

Fair enough, but it sounds quite an alarming event, all the same. I would expect to become violently ill after such a caper. In fact I feel a little queazy just thinking about it. :-(

The Jorge
05-04-2016, 12:02 PM

Were you a bit of a unit before you decided to take a good, long, hard look at yourself?

I got worried I was 15st, I've been going to the gym for over a year and remain 15st :-(

Sir C
05-04-2016, 12:09 PM
Were you a bit of a unit before you decided to take a good, long, hard look at yourself?

I got worried I was 15st, I've been going to the gym for over a year and remain 15st :-(

I was 14 1/2 stone, went down to 11 1/2 stone, but looked like I had the bad AIDS, now stable at 12 stone. I'm over 6', so I wasn't exactly a shut-in, but I just felt too heavy.

You've probably just added muscle. Your waistband is the best indicator of losing fat.

Sir C
05-04-2016, 12:12 PM
Fair enough, but it sounds quite an alarming event, all the same. I would expect to become violently ill after such a caper. In fact I feel a little queazy just thinking about it. :-(

The previous day I drank red wine for 16 hours sans respite and shovelled a good couple of gs up my bugle. I am 51 years old.

My body was basically telling me, 'Your options are, load me up with sugar or take me to anintensive care unit.'

Sir C
05-04-2016, 12:13 PM
Those shallot vinegar ones we had in a supermarket carpark between Calais and St Omer were a bit special imo. I always buy them whenever I'm in France.

We may have to face the possibility that the French have better crisps than we do. :-( Although they don't have cheese and onion, which is a major failing. Also, they have bolognese flavour, which are disgusting.

You're right, they were good. I wonder if one can still safely do such a day trip today, or whether the whole region is now bandit country?

Burney
05-04-2016, 12:31 PM
You're right, they were good. I wonder if one can still safely do such a day trip today, or whether the whole region is now bandit country?

It's fine once you get clear of the Jungle. As I understand it, the French are understandably keen to keep them penned up.

Sir C
05-04-2016, 12:34 PM
It's fine once you get clear of the Jungle. As I understand it, the French are understandably keen to keep them penned up.

Hmm. The last 3 or 4 times I've driven to the eurotunnel terminal, the last 2 miles of motorway was like a war zone. The hundreds of lads bringing the traffic to a halt and stealing tellies off the lorries weren't cooped up in any 'jungle'...

Burney
05-04-2016, 01:05 PM
Hmm. The last 3 or 4 times I've driven to the eurotunnel terminal, the last 2 miles of motorway was like a war zone. The hundreds of lads bringing the traffic to a halt and stealing tellies off the lorries weren't cooped up in any 'jungle'...

Oh, yeah, but once you're past that, you're fine. Besides, as long as you're not a lorry, you should be OK.