PDA

View Full Version : I tell you what, those Sonic booms last night were damn loud

Pokster
05-03-2016, 02:09 PM
And wd Leicester imo, thoroughly deserved

Pat Vegas
05-03-2016, 02:13 PM
Foxes? you have to admire their Guile

Burney
05-03-2016, 02:17 PM
And wd Leicester imo, thoroughly deserved

Yes. They must have been really quite concerned to go supersonic.

The Jorge
05-03-2016, 02:19 PM

Yes, and over a very populated area too.

I think it was the mix of unresponsive and Paris that got them worried. I'm not up on the military stuff but it wasnt RAF jets, was it? Some sort of Nato/US scenario?

IUFG
05-03-2016, 02:20 PM
it doesn't take much guile to paw through a bin bag, p

Sir C
05-03-2016, 02:22 PM

I don't think it's som much a question of being overly concerned, as whether to bother at all; to remain subsonic at altitude, they're pissing about at sub-400 kts and probably wouldn't get there until any fun and games was over. Cleared to go supersonic they're going at more like 1,000 kts.

Sir C
05-03-2016, 02:23 PM

I think it was the mix of unresponsive and Paris that got them worried. I'm not up on the military stuff but it wasnt RAF jets, was it? Some sort of Nato/US scenario?

Typhoons, Coningsby. Very much RAF.

The Jorge
05-03-2016, 02:23 PM
I don't think it's som much a question of being overly concerned, as whether to bother at all; to remain subsonic at altitude, they're pissing about at sub-400 kts and probably wouldn't get there until any fun and games was over. Cleared to go supersonic they're going at more like 1,000 kts.

Why do they use a nautical unit of speed measurement, C? Wouldnt mph just be better for everyone?

The Jorge
05-03-2016, 02:24 PM
Fair dos, it's all the man to me

Burney
05-03-2016, 02:24 PM

RAF Typhoons from Lincolnshire according to the reports :shrug:

Sir C
05-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Why do they use a nautical unit of speed measurement, C? Wouldnt mph just be better for everyone?

Aviation took a lot of its traditions and terminology from the Navy, j. There's nothing complicated about knots, just remember one nautical mile is 1852 metres.

Burney
05-03-2016, 02:27 PM

Well doesn't that depend on how long the thing had been unresponsive? To get that far north from Paris, it must have been flying over British airspace for some considerable time before the Typhoons launched, surely?

The Jorge
Aviation took a lot of its traditions and terminology from the Navy, j. There's nothing complicated about knots, just remember one nautical mile is 1852 metres.

Ahaaaah, nautical mile = knots because when they lead out the rope that was the interval of the knots! It all makes sense now

Pat Vegas
it doesn't take much guile to paw through a bin bag, p

I was going for Streetfighter puns :-(

Brexit = Keine Pumpernickel
05-03-2016, 02:29 PM
RAF Typhoons from Lincolnshire according to the reports :shrug:

I wonder how many of them we have left

The Jorge
05-03-2016, 02:30 PM
I was going for Streetfighter puns :-(

Tiger uppercut!
http://i.makeagif.com/media/12-15-2015/5SxRdx.gif

Sir C
05-03-2016, 02:45 PM
Well doesn't that depend on how long the thing had been unresponsive? To get that far north from Paris, it must have been flying over British airspace for some considerable time before the Typhoons launched, surely?

Nigh on impossible to say, tbh. I've no idea of the routing, but if it crossed the FIR boundary mid-channel and made contact with the first UK controller there, they might have had no need to call it until it was being passed on to the Newcastle area radar controller; if it was only then found to be unresponsive, it could have been well over the mainland, heading towards God knows where, at normal airliner speed of M0.8. Little point in launching fighters based 200 miles away at sub-M1, because they'd be catching up awfully slowly.

Obviously I don't know the details, I'm just surmising, but the speed part is accurate.

Sir C
05-03-2016, 02:48 PM
Fair dos, it's all the man to me

Had the aircraft been hijacked by some naughty men intent on crashing it into Bradford*, no doubt you'd have been suitably grateful to 'The Man' for launching his supersonic fighter into the dark and the weather to shoot the ******* down and save the lives of you and your family?

*I admit this scenario is relatively unlikely.

The Jorge
05-03-2016, 03:01 PM
Had the aircraft been hijacked by some naughty men intent on crashing it into Bradford*, no doubt you'd have been suitably grateful to 'The Man' for launching his supersonic fighter into the dark and the weather to shoot the ******* down and save the lives of you and your family?

*I admit this scenario is relatively unlikely.

Yeah, it's unlikely they'd defend Bradford