PDA

View Full Version : I've just pulled out of an event because they booked a "motivational speaker"

The Jorge
05-03-2016, 01:34 PM
Seriously, what the **** are these clowns meant to motivate you to do? There are few things in life quite as demotivating as a motivational speaker

IUFG
05-03-2016, 01:36 PM
wd, J. No-one should have to bear these insufferable ****s.

The Jorge
05-03-2016, 01:42 PM
I've seen him before, and "insufferable ****" is just about right

Burney
05-03-2016, 01:48 PM
Seriously, what the **** are these clowns meant to motivate you to do? There are few things in life quite as demotivating as a motivational speaker

Is it Kriss Akabusi? It's often Kriss Akabusi.

Mind you, I did see one where it was thon chap who cut his own arm off with a penknife. That was good - although the only thing it motivated me to do was not go climbing or potholing.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
05-03-2016, 01:52 PM
Isn't motivational speaker a bit of an oxymoron?

The Jorge
05-03-2016, 01:53 PM

Mind you, I did see one where it was thon chap who cut his own arm off with a penknife. That was good - although the only thing it motivated me to do was not go climbing or potholing.

Is that the James Franco bloke? That at least would be interesting, this bloke isnt even at Akabusi's level.

Pat Vegas
05-03-2016, 01:57 PM
The problem I have with these speakers is they don't actually give you any answers.

They begin with like later there will be some big revelation that will assist you with your life.

But after 30 mins in you still think they are on the introduction phase. Then it's finished.

Pat Vegas
05-03-2016, 01:58 PM

:-( He can't even speak properly. :hide:

Burney
05-03-2016, 02:08 PM
Is that the James Franco bloke? That at least would be interesting, this bloke isnt even at Akabusi's level.

That's the one. 127 hours and all that. Quite a fun presentation as long as you ignored the bit on the end where he tried to turn the story into something motivational.

7sisters
05-03-2016, 02:44 PM

How about having some **** asking you to sell them a pen during an interview ?
I actually had that one, many years ago.

IUFG
05-03-2016, 02:47 PM
I once had the same question.

Not entirely sure that a sales technique is a required competence for my chosen profession. I told the interviewer the same and politely ****ed myself off.

Pat Vegas
05-03-2016, 02:49 PM
Isn't it more about finding out if the person needs a pen?

We had one bloody thing where they sent us out in the streets on a real life Apprentice style challenge :-(
I went to the cafe got a coffee and had a cigarette.

IUFG
05-03-2016, 02:54 PM
I have no idea. The MD (you guessed it, a salesman by background) of the Company in question picked up a Bic biro and said "sell me this pen".

I couldn't have worked for him anyway. It was the late 90's and he had one of those 'tidy beards' like Noel ****ing Edmonds.

Ash
05-03-2016, 02:56 PM

Charletons and mountebanks the lot of them. Fools who hire them and simpletons who enjoy them.

The Jorge
05-03-2016, 02:56 PM
How about having some **** asking you to sell them a pen during an interview ?
I actually had that one, many years ago.

Me too, we cut it short soon after.

TheCurly
05-03-2016, 02:57 PM
Charletons and mountebanks the lot of them. Fools who hire them and simpletons who enjoy them.

I'd say it would be wee buns.Learn the Pacino speech from Any Given Sunday and :kerching:

The Jorge
05-03-2016, 02:59 PM
I have no idea. The MD (you guessed it, a salesman by background) of the Company in question picked up a Bic biro and said "sell me this pen".

I couldn't have worked for him anyway. It was the late 90's and he had one of those 'tidy beards' like Noel ****ing Edmonds.

Salesmen make the worst managers, it's almost the diametrically opposite skillset needed. Salesmen are basically psychopaths.

I worked for one once, I complained to my boss that he couldnt run a bath and that was why I was leaving. Later on I found out they were sleeping together. :-)

Ash
05-03-2016, 03:04 PM
Salesmen make the worst managers, it's almost the diametrically opposite skillset needed. Salesmen are basically psychopaths.

Exhibit 1: Snin.

When I worked for Tandy the whole ****ing company was run by salesmen, as they were the only people who ever got promoted. Perhaps its the same in all retail. It was hell. :-(

Pat Vegas
05-03-2016, 03:06 PM
Yes but do they need a pen?

I had a close escape from joining these types last year.
Now I sit in the same office in a different department.

Sir C
05-03-2016, 03:07 PM
Exhibit 1: Snin.

When I worked for Tandy the whole ****ing company was run by salesmen, as they were the only people who ever got promoted. Perhaps its the same in all retail. It was hell. :-(

The trouble with salesmen is that, without them, there is literally no point in anyone else turning up for work :-(

IUFG
05-03-2016, 03:08 PM
Isn't the Sales Psychopath's take on it to sell them a pen whether they need it or not?

No requirement to establish 'need'

Pat Vegas
05-03-2016, 03:09 PM
I find what they do very interesting.
I couldn't do it. There is a bloke sitting over one side cold calling all day. :-( would drive me mental

Pat Vegas
05-03-2016, 03:11 PM
Isn't the Sales Psychopath's take on it to sell them a pen whether they need it or not?

No requirement to establish 'need'

I think the whole thing is to demonstrate your skills and how you would go about it.

rather harping on about that can change the ink cartridges.

Pat Vegas
05-03-2016, 03:13 PM
I also found with sales people if you stroke their ego a bit they will give you information.
Especially if you drop in a few words like 'be my mentor' They'll get a right stiff.

Ash
05-03-2016, 03:14 PM
The trouble with salesmen is that, without them, there is literally no point in anyone else turning up for work :-(

One can say the same for the people that make the stuff or provide the services they sell. In fact I certainly would. :-)

Sir C
05-03-2016, 03:18 PM
One can say the same for the people that make the stuff or provide the services they sell. In fact I certainly would. :-)

Sure, but most people aren't employed making stuff or providing a service to a customer, they're deciding on marketing strategy, counting the money, making the tea, sweeping the factory floor... there are hundreds of non-productive but useful jobs; it's just that without salesmen, we'd all be out of a job. I can't bear there company for lengthy periods, I confess.

IUFG
05-03-2016, 03:20 PM
or the delivery men that bring raw materials, or the people who supply the telephones, or, etc, etc

It is a very symbiotic environment in reality, C

Sir C
05-03-2016, 03:21 PM
or the delivery men that bring raw materials, or the people who supply the telephones, or, etc, etc

**** all them. Leeches to a man.

SWv2
05-03-2016, 03:23 PM

SIPOC, innit.

Supplier, Input, Process, Output, Customer.

:cry:

Ash
05-03-2016, 03:42 PM
Sure, but most people aren't employed making stuff or providing a service to a customer, they're deciding on marketing strategy, counting the money, making the tea, sweeping the factory floor... there are hundreds of non-productive but useful jobs; it's just that without salesmen, we'd all be out of a job. I can't bear there company for lengthy periods, I confess.

They ARE productive, or they wouldn't be there. If you don't have finance people to chase the monies and pay the bills and the wages, you don't have a business either. Can't go around bending the knee to salespeople imo. Any **** can promise the world that the people who do the real work have to deliver.

Ash
05-03-2016, 03:42 PM
SIPOC, innit.

Supplier, Input, Process, Output, Customer.

:cry:

Good Lord.

Did they make you learn that?

SWv2
05-03-2016, 03:55 PM
Good Lord.

Did they make you learn that?

Yes, 2 days of a 5 day course.

I have effectively now walked out / resigned from the course and will not be re-attending though I have to say it has resulted in a very unsatisfactory silence between my boss and me.

IUFG
05-03-2016, 03:57 PM
Any **** can promise the world that the people who do the real work have to deliver.

Exactly, a. Exactly.

SWv2
05-03-2016, 04:01 PM
Exactly, a. Exactly.

Hold on, you work in HR. You don't actually do anything.

p.s. Underworld on JH tonight.

IUFG
05-03-2016, 04:09 PM
I stop all the other useless ****ers killing each other. And their managers getting the Company into deep legal **** when they get involved.

That is some hard work, S, I can tell you.

I also make the tea occasionally.

Thanks for the :music: heads up :thumbup:

SWv2
05-03-2016, 04:10 PM
I stop all the other useless ****ers killing each other. And their managers getting the Company into deep legal **** when they get involved.

That is some hard work, S, I can tell you.

I also make the tea occasionally.

Thanks for the :music: heads up :thumbup:

Friday nights show is better, obviously.