PDA

View Full Version : Ofourse, one thing should be noted from the PL champions

7sisters
05-03-2016, 11:09 AM
Like Chelsea last year, Lester have benefited hugely from the continuity gained by using minimal players and not ****ing about too much with the squard.
16 players is what I heard yesterday, interrupted by only two other players who started the once.
Spurs also have 11 players with around 30 starts from this season in the league.
Arsenal have 4 who have notched up the 30 mark... That's right... 4

I'm all for experimenting in the cup competitions but consistency looks to be a bit of a must for a strong league campaign. If only we weren't continually blighted by injuries every season. :shrug:

TheCurly
05-03-2016, 11:12 AM
Mark Schwarzer has won back to back titles without playing a single league game.This could be the answer 7

redgunamo
05-03-2016, 11:13 AM
Like Chelsea last year, Lester have benefited hugely from the continuity gained by using minimal players and not ****ing about too much with the squard.
16 players is what I heard yesterday, interrupted by only two other players who started the once.
Spurs also have 11 players with 30 around starts from this season in the league.

I'm all for experimenting in the cup competitions but consistency looks to be a bit of a must for a strong league campaign. If only we weren't continually blighted by injuries every season. :shrug:

That sort of thing only works if you're winning though, if you actually have a team and selection worth sticking with.

Otherwise they just banter you off for having favourites and a set pecking order. Mourinho always gets this criticism after he is sacked :shrug:

Sir C
05-03-2016, 11:23 AM
Spurs also have 11 players with around 30 starts from this season in the league.

And they both play in blue; I'd say you've cracked it, let's just copy what other teams do and everything will be fine.

redgunamo
05-03-2016, 11:25 AM
And they both play in blue; I'd say you've cracked it, let's just copy what other teams do and everything will be fine.

http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/scaled/696x392/mar_15/gun__1425980433_welbeck_manutd_fac2.jpg

redgunamo
05-03-2016, 11:26 AM
Mark Schwarzer has won back to back titles without playing a single league game.This could be the answer 7

We wanted to get him and all, I think. Greedy *******.

SWv2
05-03-2016, 11:28 AM

Man City the season before them. Blue.

Luis Anaconda
05-03-2016, 11:42 AM

You seemed to be slightly confused - do we use that many players because we have been experimenting or because we have injuries? Can you point me in the direction of this experimenting you are talking about.

Oh and if you are going to go to the extreme of really emphasising a stat, best get it right

We have five players who have played 30+ games (Cech, Bellerin, Koscielny, Monreal and Mesut) That's right 5

Which is one less than Spurs

To get to that 11 who have played "around" 30 starts you have have to include Danny Rose on 23, so by that standard we have 9 players "around" 30 starts (Per, Giroud, Sanchez and Ramsey) Not much difference

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
05-03-2016, 11:54 AM
Might help us out if we sorted out our horrendous injury issues. This is one of our main problems, is constantly recurring and nothing that has been done appears to be helping to ease the situation.

redgunamo
05-03-2016, 11:59 AM
Might help us out if we sorted out our horrendous injury issues. This is one of our main problems, is constantly recurring and nothing that has been done appears to be helping to ease the situation.

Yeah, that's the trouble this season, innit. Whatever issues we have, we still ought to be able to deal with a football season as well as Leicester City :-\

SWv2
05-03-2016, 12:31 PM

Yes, but how does one go about sorting out the unforeseen issues of player injuries.

Wilshere and Welbeck I get, they started the season injured and perhaps maybe who knows could perhaps maybe have been dealt with better.

redgunamo
05-03-2016, 12:42 PM
Yes, but how does one go about sorting out the unforeseen issues of player injuries.

Wilshere and Welbeck I get, they started the season injured and perhaps maybe who knows could perhaps maybe have been dealt with better.

Buy better players, imo.

Add Alexis to your list as well, and Elneny and Iwobi are probably to be booked in for dose of malaria when they attend The Afros in January.

Grim.

SWv2
05-03-2016, 12:46 PM
Buy better players, imo.

Add Alexis to your list as well, and Elneny and Iwobi are probably to be booked in for dose of malaria when they attend The Afros in January.

Grim.

Well the concept of buying better players should not be unique to your injureds, it is simply something you should always be striving to do throughout your squad.

I don’t think Alexis was injured at the start of the season, but he was arguably rushed back and subsequently over-played, a situation one could argue as a) an over reliance on your better players or b) simply bad management.

All still funnels back to the manager and his failings, which is entirely how it should be with a football club.

redgunamo
05-03-2016, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=SWv2;4109348]Well the concept of buying better players should not be unique to your injureds, it is simply something you should always be striving to do throughout your squad.

I don’t think Alexis was injured at the start of the season, but he was arguably rushed back and subsequently over-played, a situation one could argue as a) an over reliance on your better players or b) simply bad management.

That's harsh. Injuries is simply an act of God brought about by not having Lionel Messi or Gerd Müller in the team.

Hey, Umlaut!

Luis Anaconda
05-03-2016, 12:59 PM
Buy better players, imo.

Grim.

I'm sure I am going to have to point this out many times over the coming months, but Iwobi is not going to the African Cup of Nations - Nigeria were knocked out by Egypt funnily enough. If Tanzania can beat both of them there's an outside chance Elneny won't go either

redgunamo
05-03-2016, 01:05 PM
I'm sure I am going to have to point this out many times over the coming months, but Iwobi is not going to the African Cup of Nations - Nigeria were knocked out by Egypt funnily enough. If Tanzania can beat both of them there's an outside chance Elneny won't go either

Yeah, I was just checking that actually :homer:

7sisters
05-03-2016, 01:07 PM

It's just a general point about stability presenting a better chance than constant changes :shrug:

7sisters
05-03-2016, 01:20 PM
You seemed to be slightly confused - do we use that many players because we have been experimenting or because we have injuries? Can you point me in the direction of this experimenting you are talking about.

Oh and if you are going to go to the extreme of really emphasising a stat, best get it right

We have five players who have played 30+ games (Cech, Bellerin, Koscielny, Monreal and Mesut) That's right 5

Which is one less than Spurs

To get to that 11 who have played "around" 30 starts you have have to include Danny Rose on 23, so by that standard we have 9 players "around" 30 starts (Per, Giroud, Sanchez and Ramsey) Not much difference

OK.. So I was 1 player out. 5 as opposed to 4 :rolleyes:
You can pick over the spuds stats but they've still used less players with more frequency than us.
http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/first-team-statistics/

The main comparison should be focussed more upon the relative paucity of players used by Lester and Chelsea in the last two campaigns.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
05-03-2016, 01:32 PM

Why do we constantly have 5-10 (?) players out injured? This has been going on for 7 or 8 successive seasons now. It is a major problem not bad luck or voodoo. What conditioning or lack of are we doing? I bet you can count on one hand the number of weeks that we had a fully fit squad to choose from during the last 7 or 8 seasons.

The Welbeck thing a bit of a cock up by the club. He almost ready all the way up until the day after the transfer window closed, then he suffered a setback. I am fairly sure that this was not an accident.

SWv2
05-03-2016, 01:38 PM
Why do we constantly have 5-10 (?) players out injured? This has been going on for 7 or 8 successive seasons now. It is a major problem not bad luck or voodoo. What conditioning or lack of are we doing? I bet you can count on one hand the number of weeks that we had a fully fit squad to choose from during the last 7 or 8 seasons.

The Welbeck thing a bit of a cock up by the club. He almost ready all the way up until the day after the transfer window closed, then he suffered a setback. I am fairly sure that this was not an accident.

You may find that most, or at least a lot, of clubs do. We just notice more because it is us and naturally that is where our focus lies.

At the height of our injury troubles this season I recall reading that in fact United had more players out injured at the time.

We may point or suggest that injury issues derailed our season however I am quite sure supporters of the blue side in Manchester will point at successive injuries to Kompany along with absences of Aguero and de Bruyne as key moments in their season going south.

Perhaps our issues go beyond injuries and the simple numeric, perhaps as much as anything it is related to quality and the fact that maybe some of our players are simply not as good as we had hoped they may be in their development, others who many always feared as being a little above average are in fact just that.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
05-03-2016, 02:04 PM
I would be interested to see how many missed matches due to injuries by club over the last few seasons. I think be near the top of that list.

Luis Anaconda
05-03-2016, 02:08 PM
You can pick over the spuds stats but they've still used less players with more frequency than us.

The main comparison should be focussed more upon the relative paucity of players used by Lester and Chelsea in the last two campaigns.

Fewer players, 7, fewer player

Leaving aside the innacuracy of your stats and your poor grammar ;-) you seem to suggest we have used players because Wenger experiments with the side in the league, which I don't think stands up in any shape or form does it?

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
05-03-2016, 02:09 PM

I think you should always rely on your better players just not, as you say, over rely.

Luis Anaconda
05-03-2016, 02:23 PM

and you were talking specifically about starts - the stats on Spurs sites are appearances which includes sub ones so my figures are more accurate for your specifications