PDA

View Full Version : Doing some weekend work whilst watching Pulp Fiction

The Jorge
04-30-2016, 09:57 PM
I know it's hardly revelatory but it really is a modern classic, the dialog between Vince and Jules is ****ing beautifully written.

Looking back, the early 90s were bloody excellent for films. Exciting, vivid, ballsy films too. Like a 70s revival almost.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
04-30-2016, 10:45 PM
I've never watched it. But basically, I don't really watch films and don't like American culture.

In 17 years together, my beloved and I have only been to the cinema 3 times. Once a friend took us to see a film she wanted to watch about the Joy Division singer who topped himself.

But by choice, we've only been to see Wallace + Gromit Curse of the Wererabbit. And 4 Lions.

What's this pulp fiction about? Is it the usual yank ****e with lots of muppets glorifying guns? Or is it any good?

The Jorge
04-30-2016, 10:56 PM
I've never watched it. But basically, I don't really watch films and don't like American culture.

In 17 years together, my beloved and I have only been to the cinema 3 times. Once a friend took us to see a film she wanted to watch about the Joy Division singer who topped himself.

But by choice, we've only been to see Wallace + Gromit Curse of the Wererabbit. And 4 Lions.

What's this pulp fiction about? Is it the usual yank ****e with lots of muppets glorifying guns? Or is it any good?

Oh there's plenty of muppets with guns. It's sort of a self contained, interwoven story which comes together at the end. Very well written dialogue, very well acted by a big ensemble cast. It's more Americana than American tbh.

04-30-2016, 11:16 PM
Fair play. Doesn't seem my sort of thing then. I don't really like yanks with guns. Europe gave them Balzac, Dostoyevsky, Dickens etc etc etc. And in return, they gave us lots of films with good yanks shooting bad yanks. We deffo got the raw end of the cultural exchange deal, imo.

Ash
04-30-2016, 11:20 PM
Fair play. Doesn't seem my sort of thing then. I don't really like yanks with guns. Europe gave them Balzac, Dostoyevsky, Dickens etc etc etc. And in return, they gave us lots of films with good yanks shooting bad yanks. We deffo got the raw end of the cultural exchange deal, imo.

Nonsense. The septics have given us barrel-loads of excellent music. And HBO.

04-30-2016, 11:30 PM
Don't have HBO. But we've given them more good music than they've given us. The only really top drawer yank one is Dylan. The rest aren't even close to our best. Put it this way - if you had to live without US or UK music, which would it be?

Ash
04-30-2016, 11:33 PM
Don't have HBO. But we've given them more good music than they've given us. The only really top drawer yank one is Dylan. The rest aren't even close to our best. Put it this way - if you had to live without US or UK music, which would it be?

Look, our tastes are our own, but if Bob Dylan's the only bloke from over there who you like then that says more about your horizons than their musical achievements. They only invented most of the major music genres of the last century FFS.

The Jorge
04-30-2016, 11:40 PM

Jesus, it's like you've never even listened to Enter the 36 Chambers by Wu Tang or something

Dr Headgear - Wannabe viking
05-01-2016, 08:18 AM
Jazz, blues, rock'n'roll, soul, r'n'b, hip-hop, rap, funk....

Don't count the bands, look at the genres they've given us. Take out American music and we'd all be sticking a finger in one ear and singing tra-la-la-la-leee.

Dr Headgear - Wannabe viking
05-01-2016, 08:23 AM
Even the genres they didn't invent they played a defining role in. Ska & reggae, for example. Born from Jamaicans bring RnB 45s back to the island and local bands playing the tunes.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
05-01-2016, 08:39 AM
The only really top drawer yank one is Dylan. The rest aren't even close to our best.
No mate. Dylan is just Donovan with a midwest drawl rather than a Glesga brogue.