PDA

View Full Version : How English am I?

Sir C
04-28-2016, 02:52 PM
I ordered a smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel, an espresso, and a bottle of still water for my lunch.

The bagel contained no smoked salmon and the water was sparkling instead of still.

Did I mention either of these facts to the waitress? No, of course not, because I am English and 'don't like to make a fuss'.

wd being English.

Burney
04-28-2016, 02:53 PM
I ordered a smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel, an espresso, and a bottle of still water for my lunch.

The bagel contained no smoked salmon and the water was sparkling instead of still.

Did I mention either of these facts to the waitress? No, of course not, because I am English and 'don't like to make a fuss'.

wd being English.

To be honest, it sounds a joyless sort of a lunch anyway. Would smoked salmon have helped?

I had a Scotch Egg. :nod:

Rich
04-28-2016, 02:56 PM

wd being English.

Did you leave her a tip as well?

Sir C
04-28-2016, 02:57 PM
Did you leave her a tip as well?

:nod: A fiver. She had a nice bottom. :-( :sillyoldlech:

Luis Anaconda
04-28-2016, 02:58 PM

wd being English.

wd Sir C - nice to see standards upheld

Burney
04-28-2016, 03:01 PM
:nod: A fiver. She had a nice bottom. :-( :sillyoldlech:

I can think of no better reason for tipping someone, tbh.

Pat Vegas
04-28-2016, 03:02 PM
Doesn't sound like an English lunch though.

however I am guilty of the same thing this morning.
The place next door to me is empty but the chap from the estate agent was around an signed for a parcel for me.
He signed for it. I know him the office is not far. This morning I go to their office on the way to work (after wiping the **** off of my head) yes I have your parcel it's in the flat can you go back and see if the builders are in there they'll give it to you.

They were not there. :furious: anyway I went back he said ok well I will drop it around to you tonight. I said I won't be there until later. :banghead:

rather than be annoyed for all the complicated carrying on I need to go through now to retrieve my package. I say to him.
'thank you and really sorry to bother you with all of this'

Ash
04-28-2016, 03:13 PM

wd being English.

I'm a bit like this. Hard yolks in my eggs? Stiff upper lip. Cold beans? They're fine.

Wheras if Ms A gets white toast instead of brown with her scrambley eggs, it has to go back, and I get all stressed about it.

Pat Vegas
04-28-2016, 03:17 PM
:nod:
If I had a crap meal or bad service and they ask me if everything is fine I will say oh yes yep fine thank you.

Then moan the second I leave the door.

In fact my wife doesn't have this problem and I end up sticking up for the person who's causing the problem. 'It's not his fault he's probably very busy he's just doing his job'

Sir C
04-28-2016, 03:19 PM
If I had a crap meal or bad service and they ask me if everything is fine I will say oh yes yep fine thank you.

In fact my wife doesn't have this problem and I end up sticking up for the person who's causing the problem. 'It's not his fault he's probably very busy he's just doing his job'

That's exactly how I always feel. 'Poor *******, what a pain in the arse it must be having people moaning all day.'

7sisters
04-28-2016, 03:30 PM

Bollox to poor service and the risk of the chef's ***** dipped in the sabion.. I'm with Ash's better half on this one. I used to play the meak sheep but these days are more inclined to send it back.
I'm not overly fussed mind but if they're charging for it and the spuds are semi cooked or the plate cold or the Risotto too dry, it goes back.
This is usually a rare event and I'm always careful not to rub their noses in it. I simply draw the line at poor service or food which appears to have been prepared by an eleven year old in a home economics class.

TheCurly
04-28-2016, 03:37 PM
Bollox to poor service and the risk of the chef's ***** dipped in the sabion.. I'm with Ash's better half on this one. I used to play the meek sheep but these days are more inclined to send it back.
I'm not overly fussed mind but if they're charging for it and the spuds are semi cooked or the plate cold or the Risotto too dry, it goes back.
This is usually a rare event and I'm always careful not to rub their noses in it. I simply draw the line at poor service or food which appears to have been prepared by an eleven year old in a home economics class.

All very well and good 7 however when I complained of a steak being too bloody I was ****ed out of the restaurant.That's the French for you I suppose :-(

7sisters
04-28-2016, 03:39 PM
All very well and good 7 however when I complained of a steak being too bloody I was ****ed out of the restaurant.That's the French for you I suppose :-(

Steak should always be bloody TC. I'm reminded of a line from one of Slaters tomes where he informs the reader that, He could show people how to prepare a well done steak.. he could.. but he wouldn't.

redgunamo

As an aside, the Germans call a rare steak "English style". So there you are.

Burney

I hate to stereotype, c, but did you also happen to be drunk by any chance?

redgunamo
04-28-2016, 03:41 PM

Because he was in France? :-|

TheCurly

Couple of pints,bottle of wine.Sober as the proverbially imo

Burney
Steak should always be bloody TC. I'm reminded of a line from one of Slaters tomes where he informs the reader that, He could show people how to prepare a well done steak.. he could.. but he wouldn't.

In a restaurant, a steak 'should' be prepared whichever ****ing way the **** who's paying ****ing well wants it, 7.

Burney
04-28-2016, 03:42 PM
Couple of pints,bottle of wine.Sober as the proverbially imo

Hmmm. Barely enough to fill a hollow tooth, to be fair. Were you on any medication?

Luis Anaconda
04-28-2016, 03:43 PM
As an aside, the Germans call a rare steak "English style". So there you are.

That's always puzzled me - typical Germans, I suppose

Burney
04-28-2016, 03:43 PM
Because he was in France? :-|

No. Because he was Curly.

TheCurly
04-28-2016, 03:45 PM
Hmmm. Barely enough to fill a hollow tooth, to be fair. Were you on any medication?

I was having a few quite pints with the brother-in-law watching some F1 race or other (he is quite the petrol-head) and the ladies joined us a few hours later.Then onto the restaurant so if I think about it the 2 pints and the bottle of wine I had in the restaurant wasn't strictly speaking all I had had that day.

7sisters
04-28-2016, 03:47 PM
A fair point. I can't disagree.

Sir C
04-28-2016, 03:49 PM

No steak, be it blue or rare, should be 'bloody'. If there is blood, it hasn't been rested properly.

redgunamo
04-28-2016, 03:51 PM
That's always puzzled me - typical Germans, I suppose

:nod: They're crazy, LA.

redgunamo
04-28-2016, 03:52 PM
No steak, be it blue or rare, should be 'bloody'. If there is blood, it hasn't been rested properly.

Yes, poorly hung.

Sir C
04-28-2016, 03:53 PM
Yes, poorly hung.

It's just these trousers.

No, you're right :-(

TheCurly
04-28-2016, 03:53 PM
Yes, poorly hung.

Sir C? That's fighting talk,r

redgunamo
04-28-2016, 03:54 PM
It's just these trousers.

No, you're right :-(

Let's just say he's "resting".

redgunamo
04-28-2016, 03:56 PM
No. Because he was Curly.

Oh, fair enough then.

Pat Vegas
04-28-2016, 04:11 PM
Yeah and their Ketchup must come in glass bottles!