PDA

View Full Version : I'm going away on 10th May for a week to a place with no telly :-(

Sir C
04-27-2016, 08:32 AM
I'm going to miss a whole week of Euro action. This is distressing me.

Luis Anaconda
04-27-2016, 08:37 AM

You won't miss much as it doesn't start until June

I'm going to be in Mallorca for the first weekend - missing England Russia :-(

Sir C
04-27-2016, 08:40 AM

June! I meant June!

England are playing Russia, eh? Interesting. I haven't seen the groups... up 'til now I've found the whole subject a little painful.

Luis Anaconda
04-27-2016, 08:43 AM
You'll miss England Wales and Ireland Sweden - might be a blessing

HOW CAN YOU GO TO A PLACE WITH NO TELLY

Mind you I did that in the World Cup and missed most of the last round of group games

Sir C
04-27-2016, 08:47 AM
You'll miss England Wales and Ireland Sweden - might be a blessing

HOW CAN YOU GO TO A PLACE WITH NO TELLY

Mind you I did that in the World Cup and missed most of the last round of group games

Up norf innit. I've got to walk up mountains and ****.

Rich
04-27-2016, 08:53 AM

I'll be in Portugal England's last sixteen and QF appearances. Probably see us bloody play the Portuguese :-|

Luis Anaconda
04-27-2016, 08:53 AM
maybe there will be a wireless set in your hotel - failing that pigeons are common up there, maybe you can get the results.

I've actually got to go on a press trip. The PR company has actually asked me whether I would prefer to go on a hike or visit a vineyard ffs

Sir C
04-27-2016, 08:54 AM
maybe there will be a wireless set in your hotel - failing that pigeons are common up there, maybe you can get the results.

I've actually got to go on a press trip. The PR company has actually asked me whether I would prefer to go on a hike or visit a vineyard ffs

I had a lovely time in Mallorca once. I drank rather too much. I advise you to be on your guard against such excesses.

Pokster
04-27-2016, 08:55 AM

We have televions up here now.. they mostly don't work and watching in B&W on the ones that do is a tad boring.

Burney
04-27-2016, 08:56 AM

I'm going to be in Helsinki the entire week before that. 24 hour daylight in one of the hardest-drinking places on earth.

I'm sure I'll be fine. :-\

Ash
04-27-2016, 09:10 AM

Where are you staying this time? Has it all dried out yet?

Sir C
04-27-2016, 09:13 AM
Where are you staying this time? Has it all dried out yet?

I've found a place just outside Little Langdale. I'm going to be able to stagger out of the Three Shires at 9:30 pm, wander down to Slaters Bridge, sit amongst the swallows and the midges as the sun finally sinks away, and then stagger home to my wee little cottage :cloud9:

I'm trying to find a way to get the Caterham delivered up there so I can do the passes in it, but I can't find a mug willing to risk his life for 6 hours each way :-(

Ash
04-27-2016, 09:38 AM
I've found a place just outside Little Langdale. I'm going to be able to stagger out of the Three Shires at 9:30 pm, wander down to Slaters Bridge, sit amongst the swallows and the midges as the sun finally sinks away, and then stagger home to my wee little cottage :cloud9:

I'm trying to find a way to get the Caterham delivered up there so I can do the passes in it, but I can't find a mug willing to risk his life for 6 hours each way :-(

I remember the relief of finally getting to the Three Shires just before they stoped serving food for the evening after coming off the tops and having a long march down the road in the pissing rain for about six miles. They took our wet clothes to the drying room for us, and I had one of those very tall pies. Great days. Apart from the pissing rain, obviously, and the fear of gettting no dinner, and the encroaching darkness. At least when back on the road you know you're not going to fall off the mountain.

Sir C
04-27-2016, 09:40 AM
I remember the relief of finally getting to the Three Shires just before they stoped serving food for the evening after coming off the tops and having a long march down the road in the pissing rain for about six miles. They took our wet clothes to the drying room for us, and I had one of those very tall pies. Great days. Apart from the pissing rain, obviously, and the fear of gettting no dinner, and the encroaching darkness. At least when back on the road you know you're not going to fall off the mountain.

I'm determined to do Striding Edge this time :gulp: :****mypants:

Ash
04-27-2016, 09:55 AM
I'm determined to do Striding Edge this time :gulp: :****mypants:

Now, now. I'm sure a chap like you is not going to be unnerved by being surrounded by too much air and not enough ground. I'm pretty scared of edges and ledges but it wasn't too bad. The worst problems I had on that route were slow moving non-regulars getting in the way who've never walked on a fell before but are doing Striding Edge because it's famous, and the final, mist-covered steep ascent to Hellvellyn at the end. The ridge itself was quite fun, ISTR.

If you want to be a Patterdale Hipster do Swirral Edge instead, or go back that way. It's similar, but with less traffic.

Burney
04-27-2016, 10:02 AM
Now, now. I'm sure a chap like you is not going to be unnerved by being surrounded by too much air and not enough ground. I'm pretty scared of edges and ledges but it wasn't too bad. The worst problems I had on that route were slow moving non-regulars getting in the way who've never walked on a fell before but are doing Striding Edge because it's famous, and the final, mist-covered steep ascent to Hellvellyn at the end. The ridge itself was quite fun, ISTR.

If you want to be a Patterdale Hipster do Swirral Edge instead, or go back that way. It's similar, but with less traffic.

**** edges for a game of soldiers. I get the heeby-jeebies doing the Cat's Back in the Black Mountains and that's much less dramatic.

TheCurly
04-27-2016, 10:09 AM
**** edges for a game of soldiers. I get the heeby-jeebies doing the Cat's Back in the Black Mountains and that's much less dramatic.

Did you ever drive up the mountain to the village of Mijas in Spain b? ****in hell....like a *******ing cartoon that road

Burney
04-27-2016, 10:14 AM
Did you ever drive up the mountain to the village of Mijas in Spain b? ****in hell....like a *******ing cartoon that road

I haven't, but I've been up similar. I remember one in Mallorca up to the Monastery where Chopin died. My poor mother was driving a left-hand drive hire car on the wrong side of the road for the first time and nearly died of fright. :-(

TheCurly
04-27-2016, 10:16 AM
I haven't, but I've been up similar. I remember one in Mallorca up to the Monastery where Chopin died. My poor mother was driving a left-hand drive hire car on the wrong side of the road for the first time and nearly died of fright. :-(

I stopped half way up to look upon an eagle flying hundreds of metres below :-(

Ash
04-27-2016, 10:26 AM

That looks nice. Last time I got the wibblies was going up Blencathra via the Hall Fell edge, which is nowhere near as dicey as Sharp Edge, but still a bit ... edgy.

http://www.lakedistrict-walks.co.uk/images/2009/August/Blencathra_33.JPG