PDA

View Full Version : Sir C in here please

Pokster
04-26-2016, 09:13 AM
It's my GLW's 40th soon and I was wondering if a private flying lesson would be a good present... what are your thoughts and if so what do I look out for? ta

Sir C
04-26-2016, 09:17 AM
It's my GLW's 40th soon and I was wondering if a private flying lesson would be a good present... what are your thoughts and if so what do I look out for? ta

Well... if you're just interested in giving her the experience of a single flying lesson, any flying club will sell you a so-called 'Trial Flight', which is an initial lesson designed top check whether you want to go further. I suppose these days you're probably looking at £150 for such a lesson. What's your nearest airfield? I'll check if I know anyone I can point you towards.

Bear in mind taht if she loves it and wants to continue, you'll be looking down the batrrel of 8 - 10k to complete a licence...

Pokster
04-26-2016, 09:27 AM
Well... if you're just interested in giving her the experience of a single flying lesson, any flying club will sell you a so-called 'Trial Flight', which is an initial lesson designed top check whether you want to go further. I suppose these days you're probably looking at £150 for such a lesson. What's your nearest airfield? I'll check if I know anyone I can point you towards.

Bear in mind taht if she loves it and wants to continue, you'll be looking down the batrrel of 8 - 10k to complete a licence...
Leeds/bradford is our closest airport... i know there are a few people who advertise around there

Sir C
04-26-2016, 09:33 AM
Leeds/bradford is our closest airport... i know there are a few people who advertise around there

Sub-optimal. Big, soulless concrete wasteland - what you want is a charming little grass strip.

Sherburn's nice. http://www.sherburnaeroclub.com/

redgunamo
04-26-2016, 09:39 AM
Your mum is a big, sub-optimal, soulless concrete wasteland.

What's your favourite airport anyway, as a pilot?

Sub-optimal. Big, soulless concrete wasteland - what you want is a charming little grass strip.

Rich
04-26-2016, 09:42 AM

I fly out of Compton Abbas most of the time. You visited? Landing fees are very reasonable. Nice little bar/cafe beside the runway too. And 360 degree views of the surrounding countryside due to an elevation of 250m.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=compton+abbas+airfield&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwil77y5gazMAhUFtBoKHf4tB0sQ_AUICSgD&biw=1556&bih=628#imgrc=xXMq0OpnKQYtwM%3A

Pokster
04-26-2016, 09:42 AM

Ahh, that works as only 40 minutes awy... will look into it, thank you

Sir C
04-26-2016, 09:46 AM
Your mum is a big, sub-optimal, soulless concrete wasteland.

What's your favourite airport anyway, as a pilot?

Airports are much of a muchness, really. Acres of concrete and rules and regulations.

My favourite airfield is probably Headcorn, in Kent, followed closely by Condom.

TheCurly
04-26-2016, 09:46 AM
Airports are much of a muchness, really. Acres of concrete and rules and regulations.

My favourite airfield is probably Headcorn, in Kent, followed closely by Condom.

I like this won SC59

redgunamo
04-26-2016, 09:47 AM

Right. "Airfield" is the word I was wanting.

Benson?

Sir C
04-26-2016, 09:48 AM
I like this won SC59

They'll make you wear a high vis jacket, c.

I once got fined 6 days in a row by Carlisle airport for not wearing their stupid high vis jacket. These days they'd ban you :-(

Sir C
04-26-2016, 09:50 AM
Right. "Airfield" is the word I was wanting.

Benson?

Benson's quite big, and quite concrete.

I did once cause an air trafficker at Benson to suffer quite a serious sense of humour failure and become rather excitable.

Miserable ****er he was.

redgunamo
04-26-2016, 09:51 AM
Benson's quite big, and quite concrete.

I did once cause an air trafficker at Benson to suffer quite a serious sense of humour failure and become rather excitable.

Miserable ****er he was.

I shouldn't wonder. Handsome country around those parts though.

The Jorge
04-26-2016, 09:52 AM

Lots of Hedges?

Sir C
04-26-2016, 09:54 AM

Right on the edge of the Chilterns, of course.

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
04-26-2016, 10:05 AM

Are you mad? Let her anywhere near a flying club and in no time she'll be cornered at the bar by some lascivious old roué dressed in a blazer with silk cravat, enthralling her with dubious tales of airborne derring-do, and before you know it she'll be returning to you from her 'flying lessons' with a damp and rather smelly gusset.

(We all know who I'm talking about. He as good as confessed to shagging Berni's wife last week while poor Berni was toiling away in Amsterdam).

SWv2
04-26-2016, 10:07 AM

How many lessons before you are allowed to loop the loop?

Sir C
04-26-2016, 10:25 AM
How many lessons before you are allowed to loop the loop?

Loop the loop, sw? :-(