PDA

View Full Version : I suddenly felt the urge to buy a leather jacket.

Pat Vegas
04-25-2016, 02:24 PM
bit early in life for my midlife crisis?

What's going on Awimb? I don't ride a motorcycle.

SWv2
04-25-2016, 02:25 PM
A leather jacket can be many things and not at all associated with motor cycle ownership.

You crack on Fash, sorry Pat Vegas. Not sure what came over me there.

Sir C
04-25-2016, 02:27 PM

Here you go.

https://www.flying-jacket.com/product-details.aspx?id=1

The Jorge
04-25-2016, 02:29 PM
Eeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh

http://digilander.libero.it/happydays/foto_set/hdc324.jpg

I saw some lads all rocking awful biker jackets the other day, you know pristine and with more studs and zips than the Blue Oyster Bar, is this a thing now?

Pat Vegas
04-25-2016, 02:30 PM
Thank you Sir C but i've already gone a bit more biker.

It should arrive soon.

Burney
04-25-2016, 02:32 PM
Here you go.

Ummm, that appears to be for chicks. :-( Pretty sure not many chicks were aircrew in WWII. At least not on this side of the Elbe.

Burney
04-25-2016, 02:32 PM
Thank you Sir C but i've already gone a bit more biker.

It should arrive soon.

Biker jacket and a Fiat Cinquecento, eh? Interesting look.

Sir C
04-25-2016, 02:33 PM
Ummm, that appears to be for chicks. :-( Pretty sure not many chicks were aircrew in WWII. At least not on this side of the Elbe.

Eh? It's an Irvin jacket :shrug:

SWv2
04-25-2016, 02:33 PM
Here you go.

What the **** is that?

Sir C
04-25-2016, 02:34 PM
What the **** is that?

It's an Irvin jacket.

What the **** is wrong with you people?

The Jorge
04-25-2016, 02:37 PM
What the **** is that?

I think it's a build-a-bear flying jacket

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTU1WDgwMA==/z/hkoAAOSw~bFWIHMy/$_12.JPG

Burney
04-25-2016, 02:38 PM
Eh? It's an Irvin jacket :shrug:

I know. But the link you've given is to a lady's jacket and, while I do not want to gender him without his permission, I'm pretty sure f isn't a lady.

Burney
04-25-2016, 02:40 PM
I think it's a build-a-bear flying jacket

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTU1WDgwMA==/z/hkoAAOSw~bFWIHMy/$_12.JPG

You have to watch out for the Build-a-bear Group, j. They're a secret cabal who seek to impose neo-liberalism on us all. :nod:

Sir C
04-25-2016, 02:43 PM
I know. But the link you've given is to a lady's jacket and, while I do not want to gender him without his permission, I'm pretty sure f isn't a lady.

Well he can order a bigger one then, for ****'s sake. I don't control his purchases via the internet.

****ing hell.

You try to show a bloke a proper jacket, and you get ignorami wanting to know what it is.

'It's the jacket that saed western civilisation, that's what it it!

The Jorge
04-25-2016, 02:44 PM
You have to watch out for the Build-a-bear Group, j. They're a secret cabal who seek to impose neo-liberalism on us all. :nod:

There was about three seconds of "eh?" then the penny dropped, VG. Mind you, Icke has already overed this.
https://www.davidicke.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/ids-dead-teddy.jpg

Pat Vegas
04-25-2016, 03:36 PM
Biker jacket and a Fiat Cinquecento, eh? Interesting look.

It's a 500L I hope it gives me a little bit more street cred than a normal 500.
Depreciation is killing me though :cry:

Burney
04-25-2016, 03:40 PM
It's a 500L I hope it gives me a little bit more street cred than a normal 500.
Depreciation is killing me though :cry:

You bought it? :-( Oh, my dear chap, what were you thinking?

If my friendship with Sir C has only taught me one thing, it is that cars should be leased. Let them worry about depreciation.

Mind you, I bought a VW. I think they might end up owing me money at this rate. :hehe:

Sir C
04-25-2016, 03:45 PM
You bought it? :-( Oh, my dear chap, what were you thinking?

If my friendship with Sir C has only taught me one thing, it is that cars should be leased. Let them worry about depreciation.

Mind you, I bought a VW. I think they might end up owing me money at this rate. :hehe:

Interestingly, the market appears to have caught up... whilst Personal Contract Plan has been by far the most popular choice over the last 10 years (that is to say a modest deposit, monthly payments, then an optional balloon payment to buy at the end) it has, in the last two years, been overtaken by Personal Contract Hire, where one simply rents the vehicle over the term with ownership never becoming an issue. One leasing company i spoke to last week described it as a 'tidal wave of comprehension sweeeping the public...'

SWv2
04-25-2016, 03:49 PM
Interestingly, the market appears to have caught up... whilst Personal Contract Plan has been by far the most popular choice over the last 10 years (that is to say a modest deposit, monthly payments, then an optional balloon payment to buy at the end) it has, in the last two years, been overtaken by Personal Contract Hire, where one simply rents the vehicle over the term with ownership never becoming an issue. One leasing company i spoke to last week described it as a 'tidal wave of comprehension sweeeping the public...'

Is one responsible for upkeep of the car in this rental mode?

redgunamo
04-25-2016, 03:50 PM

My female people have started buying me those. Chevignon and Vuitton and stuff like that, as if it's 1986 all over again. Nice and everything but just not *me*, as they really ought to know by this time.

Perhaps it's part of a campaign.

Sir C
04-25-2016, 03:51 PM

Most will offer you packages with or without maintenace, as you prefer. Some will even include insurance, tyres and road tax.

redgunamo
04-25-2016, 03:52 PM

Yeah, you just ask for a new one once the ashtrays are full, I think.

Not for me though, Clive. I like to my own stuff.

Sir C
04-25-2016, 03:54 PM
If you're going to keep the car for 4 or 5 years or more, it makes sense to buy it, but if, like most people, you change to a new car every 24 or 36 months, contract hire makes financial sense.

SWv2
04-25-2016, 03:57 PM
If you're going to keep the car for 4 or 5 years or more, it makes sense to buy it, but if, like most people, you change to a new car every 24 or 36 months, contract hire makes financial sense.

Most people?

Burney
04-25-2016, 03:58 PM

Yes, I also note that people are waking up to the fact that all diesel manufacturers' emissions tests are as bent as a dog's hind leg. Are they battening down the hatches?

Sir C
04-25-2016, 04:03 PM
Yes, I also note that people are waking up to the fact that all diesel manufacturers' emissions tests are as bent as a dog's hind leg. Are they battening down the hatches?

Everyone seems to be remarkably relaxed about the whole thing. the vehicles passed the tests under the conditions laid down in the regulations. Those conditions happen not to bear any resemblance to the real world, but, you know. Thems was the regulations.

SWv2
04-25-2016, 04:04 PM
I have a diesel car.

One day in a South Dublin car park this chap starting talking to me about “what mileage I was getting from her”. I genuinely had no ****ing notion what to say to the man but decided to keep it Steve Silvermint by using generalisations such as “good” but the ****er was pressing me for a number. ****.

What sort of ****ing pervert talks to a complete stranger about a) cars and b) fuel consumption.

I couldn’t even tell how much petrol costs.

redgunamo
04-25-2016, 04:04 PM

I have a wife and two daughters; financial sense has absolutely nothing to do with it. Or, for that matter, *anything*.

Burney
04-25-2016, 04:06 PM
Everyone seems to be remarkably relaxed about the whole thing. the vehicles passed the tests under the conditions laid down in the regulations. Those conditions happen not to bear any resemblance to the real world, but, you know. Thems was the regulations.

Hmmm... a good legal argument, but quite a poor one from a PR point of view, I'd have thought?

Sir C
04-25-2016, 04:06 PM
Most people?

Yes. About 50% of cars sold are to 'fleet', or business users, and almost all of these are changed every 24 or 36 months, and of the remaining 50%, many people by new every 2 or 3 years. So I would say the majority of people change their car regularly. I suppose the numbers may appear dubious to you because you frequent a less, shall we say, socially advantaged area of the world.

I know nothing of the figures for carts and donkeys, I'm afraid.

SWv2
04-25-2016, 04:08 PM
Yes. About 50% of cars sold are to 'fleet', or business users, and almost all of these are changed every 24 or 36 months, and of the remaining 50%, many people by new every 2 or 3 years. So I would say the majority of people change their car regularly. I suppose the numbers may appear dubious to you because you frequent a less, shall we say, socially advantaged area of the world.

I know nothing of the figures for carts and donkeys, I'm afraid.

I live on the southside of Dublin I will have you know.

Sir C
04-25-2016, 04:08 PM
Hmmm... a good legal argument, but quite a poor one from a PR point of view, I'd have thought?

Who gives a **** from emissions? No one, that's who.

No one in their right mind ever wanted to drive a diesel; people were persuaded to buy diesel cars because of tax advantages put into place by a government who had C02 targets to hit, and cared not a thruppenny fart for emissions, knowing that NOx is the nasty *******. The public don't give a **** if their diesel fumes choke all the local babies, as long as their BIK and RFL are advantageous.

Burney
04-25-2016, 04:09 PM
I have a diesel car.

One day in a South Dublin car park this chap starting talking to me about “what mileage I was getting from her”. I genuinely had no ****ing notion what to say to the man but decided to keep it Steve Silvermint by using generalisations such as “good” but the ****er was pressing me for a number. ****.

What sort of ****ing pervert talks to a complete stranger about a) cars and b) fuel consumption.

I couldn’t even tell how much petrol costs.

I find it best to simply express complete ignorance and apathy about such technical matters, sw. The car**** will then give you an astonished look, then a pitying look and then wander off assuming you must be a homosexual or something similar.

The idea that people just don't give a monkey's about such things never occurs to such people. They have subscriptions to 'Autocar', ffs!

Sir C
04-25-2016, 04:09 PM
I live on the southside of Dublin I will have you know.

That's still Ireland, right?

Burney
04-25-2016, 04:10 PM
Who gives a **** from emissions? No one, that's who.

No one in their right mind ever wanted to drive a diesel; people were persuaded to buy diesel cars because of tax advantages put into place by a government who had C02 targets to hit, and cared not a thruppenny fart for emissions, knowing that NOx is the nasty *******. The public don't give a **** if their diesel fumes choke all the local babies, as long as their BIK and RFL are advantageous.

Oh, sure. I for one certainly don't give a flying one. However, should this ever come back to bite the punter on the arse, then the car companies will have to start worrying.

Burney
04-25-2016, 04:11 PM
That's still Ireland, right?

Yes. Everywhere outside Dublin 4 is 'Here be dragons' these days, I fear.

Bloody social mobility :-(

Sir C
04-25-2016, 04:12 PM
Oh, sure. I for one certainly don't give a flying one. However, should this ever come back to bite the punter on the arse, then the car companies will have to start worrying.

Look at VW, caught with their pants down a few months ago, massive scandals, recalls, all the **** in the world going down.

They've shrugged and paid their way out :shrug: And the Krauts and the Yanks will bluster and do **** all to them, because car manufacturers are enormous, and employ shedloads of people, and tell politicians to go take a crap if they want to.

SWv2
04-25-2016, 04:13 PM
I find it best to simply express complete ignorance and apathy about such technical matters, sw. The car**** will then give you an astonished look, then a pitying look and then wander off assuming you must be a homosexual or something similar.

The idea that people just don't give a monkey's about such things never occurs to such people. They have subscriptions to 'Autocar', ffs!

I am a social butterfly. He engaged me in conversation so I rolled with it, quite quickly realising that I was both out of my depths and dealing with a car enthusiast cum sexual deviant.

And you have the temerity to suggest that he may have thought I to be a homosexual!

Sir C
04-25-2016, 04:14 PM
Yes. Everywhere outside Dublin 4 is 'Here be dragons' these days, I fear.

Bloody social mobility :-(

Or in SW's case, "**** your Subaru, I have a horse outsoide."

Burney
04-25-2016, 04:43 PM
Look at VW, caught with their pants down a few months ago, massive scandals, recalls, all the **** in the world going down.

They've shrugged and paid their way out :shrug: And the Krauts and the Yanks will bluster and do **** all to them, because car manufacturers are enormous, and employ shedloads of people, and tell politicians to go take a crap if they want to.

If that were the case, why would they agree to the emissions **** in the first place?

redgunamo
04-25-2016, 04:47 PM
If that were the case, why would they agree to the emissions **** in the first place?

PR, innit, like you said.

Pat Vegas
04-25-2016, 04:47 PM
I am not the most experienced driver but my new car MPG seems rather good.

Maybe as my years of driving are limited it's normal I had it 3 quarters full of diesel. Done a few trips to the airport and back been to on a few 50 mile journeys and back here and there and quite a few city trips.
Only just past half way now. :cloud9:

I don't like the stop start thing I've disabled it.