PDA

View Full Version : So Theresa May wants us to stay in the EU, but pull out of the ECHR?

Burney
04-25-2016, 01:53 PM
I, for one, am confused. :rubchin: I'm aware that strictly speaking they're separate institutions, but they're not all that separate, since it seems questionable whether one can be a member of one without being signed up to the other.

Obviously, the idea is to fob off those who are thinking of voting Leave with the vague promise of getting out of the ECHR, but the message is pretty badly mixed. After all, one minute they're telling us the EU's brilliant and how grateful we ought to be and the next they're agreeing that one of its key underpinnings (a broad, Europe-wide agreement on rights and jurisprudence) is a load of old ****.

The Jorge
04-25-2016, 01:57 PM
In fairness, she's been on the fence so long she's got a flange like a CDT classroom's floor. But it's OK, we dont need human rights, workers rights or freedom of movement.

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2015-10/7/8/enhanced/webdr14/enhanced-1405-1444221685-1.png

Ash
04-25-2016, 02:02 PM
In fairness, she's been on the fence so long she's got a flange like a CDT classroom's floor. But it's OK, we dont need human rights, workers rights or freedom of movement.

But we desperately need to give US companies the right to sue Yerpean governments for policies that they think damage their interests, and to privatise and take control of the NHS. #ttip

Burney
04-25-2016, 02:03 PM

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2015-10/7/8/enhanced/webdr14/enhanced-1405-1444221685-1.png

Yeah, 'cos we never had any rights until those nice Europeans taught us all about them, did we? :hehe:

I find Theresa May's attempts to look physically attractive extremely disturbing. I do wish she'd stop it . :-(

Sir C
04-25-2016, 02:06 PM

Yes, I remember well how, prior to 1975, the labour force in this country was indentured and forced to build Austin Allegros at gunpoint for no wages. Also, we weren't allowed to travel, you know. The first Englishman to see France was Mr Brian Scrote, who went on a day trip to Calais in January 1976 thanks to the Common Market forcing the British government to allow him to travel FACT.

The Jorge
04-25-2016, 02:10 PM
Not massively, no, unless you call a thousand years of constitutional fudges a proper enshrinement of fundamental rights.

On Theresa May, I know what you mean. The other day in Parliament she basically had the baps out, well I say baps but they were more artisanal pittas. Maybe she feels pressure from sharing a name with the busty 80s page 3 toyota starlet.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Tb80zV4TFI0/TPBONVh-1HI/AAAAAAAABhQ/qTrjm-KY25w/s1600/Teresa_May_Phone_Card002.jpg

The Jorge
04-25-2016, 02:11 PM
I know you're a fan of the unspecified good old days but I'm not sure 1975 would be my first stab at your go-to year

Mo Britain less Europe
04-25-2016, 02:12 PM
Our fudges of course are why we, unlike these freedom loving Europeans, have never managed to produce a Napoleon, a Hitler, a Mussolini, a Franco, a Stalin, a Salazar... shall I go on?

The Jorge
04-25-2016, 02:12 PM
Out is not going to solve that, is it? Look at the ****s that are leading the campaign ferchris'sake!

Burney
04-25-2016, 02:13 PM
But we desperately need to give US companies the right to sue Yerpean governments for policies that they think damage their interests, and to privatise and take control of the NHS. #ttip

While we come at this from very different political angles, a, I must admit that I find the spectacle of those on 'the left' supporting membership of the EU deeply baffling. You mention TTIP and, in conjunction with free movement of labour driving down wages and the fact that the thing is avowedly a free-trade zone designed to aid big business, I see absolutely nothing for anyone of the left to find to support in the thing.

I mean the President of the United States just rocked up to tell us what a good idea it was for us to do what we're told because that's what they want and much of 'the left' appears to be lapping it up and saying we should be good boys and girls and do what that nice Mr President tells us, ffs! :hehe: You couldn't make it up!

Burney
04-25-2016, 02:15 PM
Not massively, no, unless you call a thousand years of constitutional fudges a proper enshrinement of fundamental rights.

On Theresa May, I know what you mean. The other day in Parliament she basically had the baps out, well I say baps but they were more artisanal pittas. Maybe she feels pressure from sharing a name with the busty 80s page 3 toyota starlet.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Tb80zV4TFI0/TPBONVh-1HI/AAAAAAAABhQ/qTrjm-KY25w/s1600/Teresa_May_Phone_Card002.jpg

Yes. 'Constitutional fudges' that the rest of the world has envied and emulated. Indeed, 'constitutional fudges' that have given us rights we've had for centuries that most of Europe has only just caught up with in historical terms.

Mo Britain less Europe
04-25-2016, 02:19 PM
Out is not going to solve that, is it? Look at the ****s that are leading the campaign ferchris'sake!

****s are somtimes in the eye of the beholder.

The Jorge
04-25-2016, 02:19 PM
Yes, they were all the rage in the 19th century

The Jorge
04-25-2016, 02:20 PM
Apart from you, of course.

Any 10 of TonyC's Characters

Burney
04-25-2016, 02:21 PM
Our fudges of course are why we, unlike these freedom loving Europeans, have never managed to produce a Napoleon, a Hitler, a Mussolini, a Franco, a Stalin, a Salazar... shall I go on?

You have to remember, mo, that j regards compromise not as an art to be practised to avoid violence and tyranny, but as a fundamental failure of will and imagination. He actually thinks revolutions are good things - despite all the evidence to the contrary. :hehe:

Burney
04-25-2016, 02:22 PM
Yes, they were all the rage in the 19th century

What were? Honestly you really need to learn to use 'Reply With Quote'

Mo Britain less Europe
04-25-2016, 02:24 PM

Needs to learn abour reality first imo. Not believe in a fairy-tale egalitarian paradise ran by and for a bunch of self-serving dictators.

Ash
04-25-2016, 02:25 PM
While we come at this from very different political angles, a, I must admit that I find the spectacle of those on 'the left' supporting membership of the EU deeply baffling. You mention TTIP and, in conjunction with free movement of labour driving down wages and the fact that the thing is avowedly a free-trade zone designed to aid big business, I see absolutely nothing for anyone of the left to find to support in the thing.

I mean the President of the United States just rocked up to tell us what a good idea it was for us to do what we're told because that's what they want and much of 'the left' appears to be lapping it up and saying we should be good boys and girls and do what that nice Mr President tells us, ffs! :hehe: You couldn't make it up!

The abandonment of the working class, and the failure to redefine it, in favour of aspiring to a benevolent paternalism, where things are bestowed from the elite rather than fought for by the masses.

The threats from Obama were pretty vile, I thought, and I was disturbed to see the glee with they were recieved in some quarters.

The Jorge
04-25-2016, 02:25 PM
Needs to learn abour reality first imo. Not believe in a fairy-tale egalitarian paradise ran by and for a bunch of self-serving dictators.

Mo, please, havent you go to go and update your Ian-Duncan-Smith scrapbook?

Sir C
04-25-2016, 02:26 PM

I don't think you're allowed to represent Stalin as something negative, Mo. You'll have a ****ing twitterstorm on your arse.

Lefty, see?

The Jorge
04-25-2016, 02:27 PM

Are we not using a tree view any more?

Mo Britain less Europe
04-25-2016, 02:31 PM
Anyone who compares Duncan Smith to the earlier gallery of rogues is not a just a scoundrel. He is a congenital idiot scoundrel.

The Jorge
04-25-2016, 02:36 PM
Anyone who compares Duncan Smith to the earlier gallery of rogues is not a just a scoundrel. He is a congenital idiot scoundrel.

I wouldnt put Iain Bowell-Syndrome up there with any of those you mentioned. Whatever you think of them they were capable people who didnt live rent free in their Father in Law's house.

Sir C
04-25-2016, 02:37 PM
I wouldnt put Iain Bowell-Syndrome up there with any of those you mentioned. Whatever you think of them they were capable people who didnt live rent free in their Father in Law's house.

:clap: That's almost as good as Alex Fungusbum or Sex Fartygas.

:( But not quite.

The Jorge
04-25-2016, 02:47 PM
:clap: That's almost as good as Alex Fungusbum or Sex Fartygas.

:( But not quite.

I tell you what, the new Elephant Man looking smiley really **** with the balance here

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
04-25-2016, 02:52 PM
Yes. 'Constitutional fudges' that the rest of the world has envied and emulated. Indeed, 'constitutional fudges' that have given us rights we've had for centuries that most of Europe has only just caught up with in historical terms.

True. Jorge, B's right.

The Bill of Rights 1689 has had more impact on global democracy and rule of law than the ECHR. {Admittedly by us nicking their countries and forcing it on them during our rule and at independence, but there you go.}

Mo Britain less Europe
04-25-2016, 02:53 PM

Forty million dead Russians and twenty million dead Germans think you're a real hoot.

Ash
04-25-2016, 10:15 PM

We get a vote on our government every five years. We get a chance to leave this autocracy maybe once in a lifetime.

If a British government awards US companies the right to sue them they can be held properly accountable to an electorate. Corrupt politicians on the take from those companies and hiding behind the EU maybe aren't accountable to anyone.

The Jorge
04-26-2016, 09:12 AM
We get a vote on our government every five years. We get a chance to leave this autocracy maybe once in a lifetime.

If a British government awards US companies the right to sue them they can be held properly accountable to an electorate. Corrupt politicians on the take from those companies and hiding behind the EU maybe aren't accountable to anyone.

We've already seen protests against TTIP in France, Germany and Ned. It's not nailed on as it would seem.