PDA

View Full Version : Our Club...

Tony C
04-25-2016, 01:50 PM
Our Club….

Being reasonably old school, the one problem which is too difficult for me to ignore is the lack of a captain.

It’s incredibly unreasonable to expect any of the players to understand the concept of becoming leaders on the pitch and taking and accepting responsibility when for many years, not just this one, we simply don’t have a captain or for that matter an inspirational leader of any sort that the players and fans can follow into battle and rally behind.

Since Vieira left we have been robbed of this most important of roles for any team i.e. for well over a decade we have captain less.

Henry - In his pomp he was never a captain so hardly right to expect him in the backend of his career to suddenly this skill
Gallas came from Chelsea where he made threats to score own goals against his own team
Fabregas was meant to be the one but he basically went on strike and refused to play for us until we were forced to sell him to Barcelona
Van Persie…enough said…how did we not see this one coming.
Vermaelen – On the right track but career ruined by serious injuries and hardly ever played.
Arteta – Hardly ever plays through a combination of being injured and basically not being good enough at the top level any more.
Mertersacker – see Arteta.

For me, it’s been one failure after another…and by failure I mean with regards to their role as captain.

I think this is the biggest problem with the team right now and it needs to be corrected for next season, however, I doubt that it will because with no leadership and sense of apathy has filtered all the way down from the men at the top…Stan, Ivan and Arsene…shame on Steve Bould…a complete charlatan for watching all of this go on!!

By the way...have you seen the video of Vince McMahon calling Stan an idiot....says it all. The head of the WWE....what a joke.

I’m not sure what Arsene has in store for us next season but he needs to sort this out. Just decide on one player you can rely on game in game out and give it to this person!

Koscielny and Monreal would be obvious candidate but maybe neither are vocal enough.

Ramsey would be interesting as I think the role would give focus but I’m not sure he’s first team material now and his place next season in the starting eleven is under a fair degree of threat imo.

Coquelin and Elneny look great and if Xaxa arrives then it’s game over for Aaron...(and that's not considering Jack and Santi).

Coquelin would be no.1 pick for our new Club Captain next season….he can be over aggressive at times which leaves him on a knife edge booking wise but the captaincy could be what he needs to focus more and be a real leader / general in the side.

In effect, he already does this but I’ve got a feeling he’s still living in a previous life i.e. the one where he was constantly being loaned and uncertain of his future so probably still thinks he has something to prove.

He doesn’t and it’s time to take his career to the next level which should also give out younger players like Iwobi, Jeff and Crowley great hope and determination for their own futures.

Jake
04-25-2016, 02:00 PM
Big Pete surely?

Pat Vegas
04-25-2016, 02:02 PM
I don't like goalkeepers as captains.

SWv2
04-25-2016, 02:16 PM
Theo surely.

redgunamo
04-25-2016, 02:33 PM
I know what you mean, T. But Henry may have been a poor captain, but he was the best leader we'd had since TA, imo.

Our Club….

Being reasonably old school, the one problem which is too difficult for me to ignore is the lack of a captain.

It’s incredibly unreasonable to expect any of the players to understand the concept of becoming leaders on the pitch and taking and accepting responsibility when for many years, not just this one, we simply don’t have a captain or for that matter an inspirational leader of any sort that the players and fans can follow into battle and rally behind.

Since Vieira left we have been robbed of this most important of roles for any team i.e. for well over a decade we have captain less.

Henry - In his pomp he was never a captain so hardly right to expect him in the backend of his career to suddenly this skill
Gallas came from Chelsea where he made threats to score own goals against his own team
Fabregas was meant to be the one but he basically went on strike and refused to play for us until we were forced to sell him to Barcelona
Vermaelen – On the right track but career ruined by serious injuries and hardly ever played.
Arteta – Hardly ever plays through a combination of being injured and basically not being good enough at the top level any more.

For me, it’s been one failure after another…and by failure I mean with regards to their role as captain.

I think this is the biggest problem with the team right now and it needs to be corrected for next season, however, I doubt that it will because with no leadership and sense of apathy has filtered all the way down from the men at the top…Stan, Ivan and Arsene…shame on Steve Bould…a complete charlatan for watching all of this go on!!

By the way...have you seen the video of Vince McMahon calling Stan an idiot....says it all. The head of the WWE....what a joke.

I’m not sure what Arsene has in store for us next season but he needs to sort this out. Just decide on one player you can rely on game in game out and give it to this person!

Koscielny and Monreal would be obvious candidate but maybe neither are vocal enough.

Ramsey would be interesting as I think the role would give focus but I’m not sure he’s first team material now and his place next season in the starting eleven is under a fair degree of threat imo.

Coquelin and Elneny look great and if Xaxa arrives then it’s game over for Aaron...(and that's not considering Jack and Santi).

Coquelin would be no.1 pick for our new Club Captain next season….he can be over aggressive at times which leaves him on a knife edge booking wise but the captaincy could be what he needs to focus more and be a real leader / general in the side.

In effect, he already does this but I’ve got a feeling he’s still living in a previous life i.e. the one where he was constantly being loaned and uncertain of his future so probably still thinks he has something to prove.

He doesn’t and it’s time to take his career to the next level which should also give out younger players like Iwobi, Jeff and Crowley great hope and determination for their own futures.

Just Trent
04-25-2016, 02:37 PM
TJ and the captain's armband part 3. Worst trilogy ever.

Rich
04-25-2016, 02:42 PM
Our Club….

PETR CECH. Conversation over.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
04-25-2016, 02:44 PM
Young Hector for me.