PDA

View Full Version : Only 20 days to go until we can start looking forward to the Euros :cloud9:

Sir C
04-25-2016, 08:29 AM
And after that there's the whole 'transfer window' joy! Woohoo!

SWv2
04-25-2016, 08:31 AM
I quite like the Euros.

Stress free, (mainly) top class football.

Sir C
04-25-2016, 08:37 AM
I quite like the Euros.

Me too. I love Euros and World Cups equally. Warm, light evenings, the romance of a crowd, far away, watching the world's best players before walking away from the stadium to go and eat, perhaps the plat du jour in a little family-owned place. The rabboit with prunes, perhaps, ot the chicken parmentier? A carafe of rough red, a table on the pavement - that's how they live in the foreign, you see?

Mo Britain less Europe
04-25-2016, 08:40 AM
I quite like the Euros.

There will be a leetle bit less quality this year in the early stages I suspect. The "inclusiveness" which has made the group stage of the World Cups' a series of (mostly) mismatches is gradually being introduced to the euros as well.

Burney
04-25-2016, 08:41 AM
I quite like the Euros.

Arsenal have broken modd, though! :cry:

SWv2
04-25-2016, 08:42 AM
There will be a leetle bit less quality this year in the early stages I suspect. The "inclusiveness" which has made the group stage of the World Cups' a series of (mostly) mismatches is gradually being introduced to the euros as well.

Bit like the Champions League which really only becomes interesting around the point where we tend to exit. A lamentable coincidence in some ways.

Sir C
04-25-2016, 08:42 AM
Arsenal have broken modd, though! :cry:

I suspect that life broke modd, b :(

Mo Britain less Europe
04-25-2016, 08:44 AM
At least the CL usually throws up one "group of death" to compensate for the deadly boring thrashings dispensed by the big boys.

Burney
04-25-2016, 08:45 AM
I suspect that life broke modd, b :(

But his cast-iron, insane optimism really cheered me up some days! To see him like this is painful for me.

Why must the innocents suffer like this, Sir C? Why? :cry:

Sir C
04-25-2016, 08:47 AM
But his cast-iron, insane optimism really cheered me up some days! To see him like this is painful for me.

Why must the innocents suffer like this, Sir C? Why? :cry:

It's all good character-building stuff, b. He'll be a better man.

Speaking of modd, did you see that the immensely irritating lad 'Powell' from University Challenge actually has Apsergers? This gave me pause to wonder whether I still want to punch him until I dislocate my shoulder, and the answer, sadly, is, 'yes'. :(

Sir C
04-25-2016, 08:49 AM

Yes, but there will still be the promise of balmy evenings and tables on the terrace and, d'you know, I think I'll have the brandade.

Mo Britain less Europe
04-25-2016, 08:51 AM
Purchased? Or self-made?

Burney
04-25-2016, 08:53 AM
It's all good character-building stuff, b. He'll be a better man.

Speaking of modd, did you see that the immensely irritating lad 'Powell' from University Challenge actually has Apsergers? This gave me pause to wonder whether I still want to punch him until I dislocate my shoulder, and the answer, sadly, is, 'yes'. :(

Yes, well Assburgers isn't real, though, is it? It's one of those made-up things like gluten intolerance (just an excuse for drawing attention to yourself in restaurants and not being able to take your ale) or ADHD (an excuse for your child being a ****). Likewise, Assburgers is just an excuse for not getting laid.

Mo Britain less Europe
04-25-2016, 08:55 AM
I know a rather good-looking girl with so-called assbergers who's getting herself laid regularly.

Ash
04-25-2016, 08:57 AM
Yes, well Assburgers isn't real, though, is it? It's one of those made-up things like gluten intolerance (just an excuse for drawing attention to yourself in restaurants and not being able to take your ale) or ADHD (an excuse for your child being a ****). Likewise, Assburgers is just an excuse for not getting laid.

There should be a syndrome name for people who are simply unable to accept that some people are different, and who feel a cruel need to abuse them for it.

Agree about ADHD though.

Pokster
04-25-2016, 08:58 AM
I know a rather good-looking girl with so-called assbergers who's getting herself laid regularly.

Is it right to talk about your mum that way?

Mo Britain less Europe
04-25-2016, 09:00 AM
There was no assbergers in my mum's time. Or in mine for that matter.

Sir C
Purchased? Or self-made?

You can't get decent salt cod round these parts for love nor money.

Burney

Did you finish? Did you see people teefing crateloads of water?

Sir C
04-25-2016, 09:01 AM

How are the ol' knees feeling today?

Burney
04-25-2016, 09:01 AM
There should be a syndrome name for people who are simply unable to accept that some people are different, and who feel a cruel need to abuse them for it.

Agree about ADHD though.

Oh, I absolutely accept that people are different. I just don't accept that every point of difference requires a syndrome.

Sir C
04-25-2016, 09:03 AM

Agree about ADHD though.

So am I allowed to smash the little ****er or not?

Mo Britain less Europe
04-25-2016, 09:03 AM
Calling things syndrome is mostly one big, fat lie. It implies that all abnormal behaviour can be explained by some chemical or other imbalance and therefore can be treated with pills rather than by tuaght and learned behaviour. That's big pharma and big government for you.

SWv2
04-25-2016, 09:05 AM

Violence solves nothing.

Peace out.

SWv2
04-25-2016, 09:07 AM
I read a bit somewhere recently where a chef totally dismissed the whole gluten thing as being a pile of ****ing made-up *******s, not an exact quote you understand but very much the jist of the piece.

Still, if it gives people comfort.

Sir C
04-25-2016, 09:07 AM
Violence solves nothing.

Peace out.

That's not very patriotic, sw.

Mo Britain less Europe
04-25-2016, 09:09 AM
Isn't Warren Peace one of the best made-up names ever?

Burney
04-25-2016, 09:10 AM
Calling things syndrome is mostly one big, fat lie. It implies that all abnormal behaviour can be explained by some chemical or other imbalance and therefore can be treated with pills rather than by tuaght and learned behaviour. That's big pharma and big government for you.

Actually, I have less problem with pharmaceutical industry (which at least has a scientific basis) than with the psychiatry industry, which is utter mumbo-jumbo based on people making up disorders and syndromes left, right and centre.

This is about the only issue on which I and the Church of Scientology agree, tbh.

Mo Britain less Europe
04-25-2016, 09:13 AM
I agree about the dodginess of psychiatry but big pharma is much more sinister and all-embracing. Seen what they'fe done with cholesterol over the years? Ans the great aspirin debate?

SWv2
That's not very patriotic, sw.

We're a changed people Sir C.

Mind you I nearly ended up in a shamozzle last week with an opposition manager. Under 9 football.

:-\

Sir C
I agree about the dodginess of psychiatry but big pharma is much more sinister and all-embracing. Seen what they'fe done with cholesterol over the years? Ans the great aspirin debate?

Not to mentiion the Constant Gardener :nod:

Mo Britain less Europe
04-25-2016, 09:19 AM
There is also a direct link between psychiatry and big pharma. The former invents the syndromes and the latter provides the pills to cure or, even better, "control" them.

Luis Anaconda
04-25-2016, 09:25 AM

Yes - yes you are

Burney
04-25-2016, 09:27 AM
There is also a direct link between psychiatry and big pharma. The former invents the syndromes and the latter provides the pills to cure or, even better, "control" them.

Pharma is a business looking for markets to exploit like any other business - I don't expect them to be pure in thought and deed. Business will always tend to the amoral, so my expectations are lowered.

Psychiatry, on the other hand, is supposed to be a branch of medicine based on scientific evidence and the overall desire to do good - or at least 'do no harm'. It fails on all counts and I therefore see it as a far more disgraceful racket. In my opinion, psychiatry is not merely amoral, but actively immoral.

Burney
04-25-2016, 09:29 AM
Yes - yes you are

I can't help but feel that feeling one's knuckles mash into his big, wet, blubbery lips would be a very off-putting sensation, though. :-(

Your mum...fist...big, wet, blubbery lips, etc.

Mo Britain less Europe
04-25-2016, 09:30 AM
Sure. But pharma exercises a corrupting influence on areas of medicine which are not optional and they never claim to be operating as a business, they are part of the new priesthood of science and its experts and they peddle their half-truths as if they were givens. The only given is if they call sell you a pill which cost them 1p for £5 - they will.

Sir C
04-25-2016, 09:31 AM
We're a changed people Sir C.

Mind you I nearly ended up in a shamozzle last week with an opposition manager. Under 9 football.

:-\

Drink had been taken, one assumes.

Sir C
04-25-2016, 09:32 AM
I can't help but feel that feeling one's knuckles mash into his big, wet, blubbery lips would be a very off-putting sensation, though. :-(

Your mum...fist...big, wet, blubbery lips, etc.

ty la. I'm on it now.

SWv2
04-25-2016, 09:32 AM
Drink had been taken, one assumes.

10:30 in the am.

Eh, no.

Burney
04-25-2016, 09:41 AM
ty la. I'm on it now.

That's no way to refer to la's ma.

Luis Anaconda
04-25-2016, 09:52 AM

Eh, no.

You've changed, man

Ash
04-25-2016, 09:54 AM
Sure. But pharma exercises a corrupting influence on areas of medicine which are not optional and they never claim to be operating as a business, they are part of the new priesthood of science and its experts and they peddle their half-truths as if they were givens. The only given is if they call sell you a pill which cost them 1p for £5 - they will.

Marginal cost of production might be one penny, but research might have cost squillions. Maybe the pharma industry should be nationalised if you think the market isn't working.

redgunamo
04-25-2016, 09:56 AM

Eh, no.

Are you some sort of religious fanatic, SW?

Pokster
04-25-2016, 10:00 AM
Did you finish? Did you see people teefing crateloads of water?

I did finish, knee is shot to bits so not a good time... last 10 miles were a struggle... My second and last Marathon

Burney
04-25-2016, 10:02 AM
I did finish, knee is shot to bits so not a good time... last 10 miles were a struggle... My second and last Marathon

Well done, old chap. :clap:

I feel your pain with regard to the knee business. Mine is starting to make me think fondly of the idea of a Stannah Stairlift :-(

Ash
04-25-2016, 10:03 AM

Congrats. Especially on the decision not to do another one. Running those sorts of distances is most unhealthy imo. What did you do on Saturday in the end?

Pokster
04-25-2016, 10:04 AM
Congrats. Especially on the decision not to do another one. Running those sorts of distances is most unhealthy imo. What did you do on Saturday in the end?

Went to Excel, then gentle walk around Islington (remind me of when i lived there), down to St Paul's... then found a pub and watched the FA cup

Pokster
04-25-2016, 10:05 AM
Well done, old chap. :clap:

I feel your pain with regard to the knee business. Mine is starting to make me think fondly of the idea of a Stannah Stairlift :-(

It took me 20 mins to walk from our car park to work this morning... nomally a 5 minute stroll.... I can't walk down hill

SWv2
04-25-2016, 10:24 AM
It took me 20 mins to walk from our car park to work this morning... nomally a 5 minute stroll.... I can't walk down hill

I am no marathon runner, but I know a few. Would it not have been prudent to have a day off work?

Luis Anaconda
04-25-2016, 10:29 AM
:bow: wd p

Pokster
04-25-2016, 10:30 AM
I am no marathon runner, but I know a few. Would it not have been prudent to have a day off work?

I don't have many days left this year (end of July). Taking 1/2 day this afternoon, but thta is to sort my eldest out who has turned into a right pain in the bum

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
04-25-2016, 10:41 AM
And after that there's the whole 'transfer window' joy! Woohoo!

I think a lot of fans just want the season to come to an end now.

Ash
04-25-2016, 10:46 AM
Went to Excel, then gentle walk around Islington (remind me of when i lived there), down to St Paul's... then found a pub and watched the FA cup

I has a gentle stroll around Islington on Saturday too. Nice day when the sun was out. Stubbed my toe on an uneven slab. Hurt like hell on Saturday night. Not as much as your knee though. Get well soon. :thumbup: