PDA

View Full Version : I never really liked Prince.

SWv2
04-22-2016, 07:53 AM
Just slipping this out on the QT.

TheCurly
04-22-2016, 08:14 AM
Berni reckons he didn't take drugs.He really liked purple and he changed his name to squiggle.I think some drugs were involved

7sisters
04-22-2016, 08:17 AM
Luckily for you, Prince and his legal cohorts have made it nigh on impossible for anyone to listen to any of his music in this modern era of streaming and such.
If you don't have his material on either Vinyl, 8 track or Cassette, you're fairly ****ed in terms of a voyage of new discovery into his works.

The Jorge
04-22-2016, 08:29 AM
Yeah, I know exactly how you feel. The wee lad's appeal was, quite frankly, entirely lost on me.

Even the songs he wrote, like the one for the bald papal photo-botherer, we just pretty dull.

redgunamo
04-22-2016, 08:29 AM

I know what you mean.

But if you can ignore the whole "Prince" thing, some of the songs he wrote are more than worth a bellow in the shower of a morn'.

PSRB
04-22-2016, 08:30 AM
Luckily for you, Prince and his legal cohorts have made it nigh on impossible for anyone to listen to any of his music in this modern era of streaming and such.
If you don't have his material on either Vinyl, 8 track or Cassette, you're fairly ****ed in terms of a voyage of new discovery into his works.

Annoying as it was all on Spotify.....and the one positive of his demise is that it will quite probably all return

Luis Anaconda
04-22-2016, 08:31 AM
Yeah, I know exactly how you feel. The wee lad's appeal was, quite frankly, entirely lost on me.

Even the songs he wrote, like the one for the bald papal photo-botherer, we just pretty dull.

Except for Manic Monday of course - you must have loved Manic Monday.

Watched Kevin Smith's description of working with him on a documentary last night - was quite amusing

PSRB
04-22-2016, 08:32 AM

But, but he wrote Manic Monday for the Bangles!!!

and Sign of the Times is still the best album ever.........................................imo

The Jorge
04-22-2016, 08:33 AM
That big long talk he did on meeting him? Yes it was ace, wasnt it?

The Jorge
04-22-2016, 08:35 AM
A song only really distinguished by having a fit singer, and it still wasnt walk like an egyptian.

Sign of the Times is no Pet Sounds, LA Woman or 36 Chanmbers

PSRB
04-22-2016, 08:36 AM
Except for Manic Monday of course - you must have loved Manic Monday.

Watched Kevin Smith's description of working with him on a documentary last night - was quite amusing

Also wrote Chaka Khan's "I feel for you"

The Jorge
04-22-2016, 08:38 AM
OK, so he was nearly as good a songwriter as Cathy Dennis.

Yes, I know he could play every instrument ever invented and they he filled the charts with music from depressing 80s bars but I still dont really get it.

Mind you, I went out with a massive prince fan who said "Morrissey occupies that space for you"

redgunamo
04-22-2016, 08:40 AM

Yes, I know he could play every instrument ever invented and they he filled the charts with music from depressing 80s bars but I still dont really get it.

Mind you, I went out with a massive prince fan who said "Morrissey occupies that space for you"

Did you agree with her on that?

The Jorge
04-22-2016, 08:41 AM
She was very pretty, so I did, yes.

Prince and Morrissey, there's one collaboration we'll never see

Luis Anaconda
04-22-2016, 08:42 AM
That big long talk he did on meeting him? Yes it was ace, wasnt it?

Yep - loved the way he sort veered between reverence, bemusement and sheer what the ****edness.

"Does there have to be so much cursing in your movies" :hehe:

Luis Anaconda
04-22-2016, 08:43 AM

I was never a massive Prince fan but then again he was hardly a massive prince

Burney
04-22-2016, 08:44 AM

You are, of course, wrong. However, I celebrate your right to be wrong and worship instead a profoundly unoriginal Pete Townshend impersonator from Woking who's basically been knocking out the same dreary, dad-rock tat for 40 years.

Everyone is entitled to their tastes, sw. Hare Krishna,

Luis Anaconda
04-22-2016, 08:44 AM

At this point I feel I need to say

mmm Cathy Dennis 44

redgunamo
04-22-2016, 08:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73njL9jtmv0

The Jorge
04-22-2016, 08:46 AM
At this point I feel I need to say

mmm Cathy Dennis 44

Good man, I was of course remiss in not pointing that out earlier.

7sisters
04-22-2016, 08:46 AM
Pretty much wrote and produced a whole album for her. Come 2 my house..

7sisters
04-22-2016, 08:48 AM
You could see that flicker of mischief on ol Pammy's face there as she fought back the urge to push the **** off that roof.

The Jorge
04-22-2016, 08:52 AM
There you go, see? Peerless. Here he is with two utter cretins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCZkVrpYupY

TheCurly
04-22-2016, 08:55 AM
His niece loved to call round to his Paisley Park mansion on a weekend