PDA

View Full Version : No. Try as I might, I just can't be doing with this board. :-(

Burney
04-15-2016, 11:35 AM
It's just too much of an arse-ache to use or follow this thing. I must admit I hadn't realised how lucky we were with Tree View and the way it just allowed conversations to flow naturally. Ho-hum. You don't know what you've got till it's gone and all that.

This format takes all the fun out of it for me, I'm afraid. Too much like hard work - the avoidance of which has always been a key reason to come on here. :-)

Rich
04-15-2016, 11:38 AM
Did you hear that Alan Titchmarsh was airlifted to hospital after eating a lot of food?

Sir C
04-15-2016, 11:42 AM
It's just too much of an arse-ache to use or follow this thing. I must admit I hadn't realised how lucky we were with Tree View and the way it just allowed conversations to flow naturally. Ho-hum. You don't know what you've got till it's gone and all that.

This format takes all the fun out of it for me, I'm afraid. Too much like hard work - the avoidance of which has always been a key reason to come on here. :-)

Give it a week and you won't remember that it was ever any different. We're amazingly adaptable as a species, you know.

Billy Goat Sverige
04-15-2016, 11:42 AM
Feel the same to be honest. Can't be arsed clicking through everything. I feel like it might be a little better if the posts viewed in threaded view allowed more characters to be shown. Still not keen on the main forum view though.

Burney
04-15-2016, 11:46 AM
Give it a week and you won't remember that it was ever any different. We're amazingly adaptable as a species, you know.

No. I don't think so. There's no doubt that that format was what gave AWIMB its character - huge, rambling threads going off in hundreds of different tangents; having four different arguments at once.

This feels more like the sort of place where people who just want to talk about football and largely agree with one another would hang out. :-(

Billy Goat Sverige
04-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Yup. Treeview meant you could see someone having a moan about a posh chap not paying his taxes in a thread originally started about last nights episode of Game of Thrones. Now you have to go through every thread to see if anything interesting is going on and get involved.

Monty92
04-15-2016, 11:50 AM
I feel a bit bad for ragging on people who have presumably worked on these changes for free to provide us with a free service....but..... what kind of incompetent ****s can **** something up quite this badly?

reg
04-15-2016, 11:53 AM
Yeah, agreed :-\

Burney
04-15-2016, 11:57 AM
Yeah, agreed :-\

You see this is the point. Unless you quote someone, I have literally no idea who you're agreeing with. The sheer difficulty in following a basic conversational thread just makes the thing pointless.

Ash
04-15-2016, 11:58 AM
No. I don't think so. There's no doubt that that format was what gave AWIMB its character - huge, rambling threads going off in hundreds of different tangents; having four different arguments at once.

You can still do that, just not see it visually. The tree view here is bit of a fudge, and doesn't really emulate what we had, but even under the old regime those long rambly threads could be difficult to follow. The red/blue folders didn't work properly so you couldn't see which posts you had opened and you had to keep scrolling up and down every time and try and remember where you were. But we were used to it.

This feels more like the sort of place where people who just want to talk about football and largely agree with one another would hang out. :-(

There's nothing about this format that promotes agreement or football. If people just quote each other and scroll down it works fine. Different, but fine.

Basically people just like whining.

Ash
04-15-2016, 12:01 PM
Feel the same to be honest. Can't be arsed clicking through everything. I feel like it might be a little better if the posts viewed in threaded view allowed more characters to be shown. Still not keen on the main forum view though.

You don't have to click on everthing. Use hybrid view and just scroll down. If people quote each other you can follow conversations that way without having to click on anything.

Agree about the lack of characters shown on the tree though.

reg
04-15-2016, 12:01 PM
You see this is the point. Unless you quote someone, I have literally no idea who you're agreeing with. The sheer difficulty in following a basic conversational thread just makes the thing pointless.

Yes, of course. Sorry. Forgot :hehe:

Burney
04-15-2016, 12:05 PM
You can still do that, just not see it visually.

Not really, because not being able to see it visually puts me off bothering. There could be a great thread started by a piss-boring first post about football or something equally dull and I'm never going to see it because I'm never going to bother opening it. The visual aspect of the tree view was critical to encouraging involvement. Here, the conversations are defined by their first post and each thread is siloed off from all the others, which takes out those callbacks and cross-references that were so much a part of the old place.

I honestly don't want to whine and am honestly sad about how little I like this place now. It's buggered things up for me, I'm afraid. Personal taste and all that, but that is how I feel. :shrug:

Ash
04-15-2016, 12:06 PM

Which is why you have to quote people to use it properly. The tree view here is a compromise that discourages people from doing that because they want to do things the old way, or not at all.

As I said yesterday, the only alternative would have been for us to buy the old one off Chris and run it without ads. Or pay him to run it without ads. Perhaps we could still consider this possibilty.

Monty92
I have absolutely nothing to gain from whining for the sake of it and nor does Berni. I don't want to have to quote people. I never used to have to and now I do. This is annoying and contributes to what is, on balance, an inferior experience.

Ash
I feel a bit bad for ragging on people who have presumably worked on these changes for free to provide us with a free service....but..... what kind of incompetent ****s can **** something up quite this badly?

Let's be clear about this. They are not ****s. You are.

Monty92
04-15-2016, 12:08 PM
Most people I call ****s are not actually ****s. This is one of those instances.

Incompetent is fair though, surely? They've revamped the board and made it ****ter.

Ash
04-15-2016, 12:08 PM
I have absolutely nothing to gain from whining for the sake of it and nor does Berni. I don't want to have to quote people. I never used to have to and now I do. This is annoying and contributes to what is, on balance, an inferior experience.

You just click on the Reply With Quote button and type. What's so difficult about that?

Monty92
04-15-2016, 12:10 PM
See, why's that post appeared there? I posted a reply to Ash.

Monty92
04-15-2016, 12:12 PM
You just click on the Reply With Quote button and type. What's so difficult about that?

Nothing difficult. But in an ideal word, you wouldn't need to. It is a solution to a problem that didn't previously exist.

Ash
04-15-2016, 12:14 PM
Most people I call ****s are not actually ****s. This is one of those instances.

Incompetent is fair though, surely? They've revamped the board and made it ****ter.

You're incompetent because you can't use part of the internet that millions of people every day use quite happily. Yeah, there are aspects of the old world that we've lost, but that old world didn't actually work at all on most browsers and users were lost because of it. It was unique, but uniqueness in software rarely survives in a changing world.

Luis Anaconda
04-15-2016, 12:14 PM

I actually think I am seeing a different board to those two :shrug: Maybe it's the drugs.

Mind you - the return on Yesterday No More is enough to drive most people away I would have though

Ash
04-15-2016, 12:16 PM
Nothing difficult. But in an ideal word, you wouldn't need to. It is a solution to a problem that didn't previously exist.

Are you saying there wasn't any problem with the old board? It was ****ed, man.

Monty92
04-15-2016, 12:17 PM
Are you saying there wasn't any problem with the old board? It was ****ed, man.

Of course it was ****ed. But they've taken a turd and polished it with another turd. Incompetent.

Ash
04-15-2016, 12:18 PM
Test reply to Monty using the reply button to see where it appears in the tree.

Billy Goat Sverige
04-15-2016, 12:19 PM
I was googling the other day and there seems to be someone running a vBulletin 4.x.x board with threaded view in the main forum. Not sure how chris+ would get that working though.

https://www.blackjacktheforum.com/showthread.php?838-New-fully-threaded-forum-view

Monty92
04-15-2016, 12:22 PM
You're incompetent because you can't use part of the internet that millions of people every day use quite happily. Yeah, there are aspects of the old world that we've lost, but that old world didn't actually work at all on most browsers and users were lost because of it. It was unique, but uniqueness in software rarely survives in a changing world.

I'm aware I'm free-riding off the back of other people's work and technical abilities, and for that I *should* be grateful, But the reality is, all I care about is the fact that they've taken something that needed fixing and given it back with the broken bits fixed but loads of new broken bits. It may be ill-mannered of me to say so, given their are working for free on giving me a free service, but I don't care about that either. I have no loyalty to them.

Sir C
04-15-2016, 12:24 PM
I'm aware I'm free-riding off the back of other people's work and technical abilities, and for that I *should* be grateful, But the reality is, all I care about is the fact that they've taken something that needed fixing and given it back with the broken bits fixed but loads of new broken bits. It may be ill-mannered of me to say so, given their are working for free on giving me a free service, but I don't care about that either. I have no loyalty to them.

AND LOOK! YOU'RE HAVING A CONVERSATION ABOUT IT! :cool:

reg
04-15-2016, 12:26 PM

Hey, we're all enjoying ourselves really, after all!

Viva Prat Vegas
04-15-2016, 12:28 PM
An upbeat man to have in the trenches in the pissing rain.

Monty92
04-15-2016, 12:29 PM

Yes, but I'm hating the experience. I'll probably keep coming here (sorry) but I can't imagine ever preferring the current layout, as it is so obviously inferior in such fundamental ways.

Jake
04-15-2016, 01:17 PM
Yeah it's proper rubbish isn't it. Everything is just an effort and less natural.

RIP.