PDA

View Full Version : Klopp - the one that got away because you-know-who was allowed to hang on, and on

Yesterday Once More
04-14-2016, 09:18 PM
While Klopp was building Borussia Dortmund into first German champions (with a record number of points) and then within an ace of becoming European Champions, and all on modest resources, there was common consensus among many Arsenal fans that he would be tailor-made for the Arsenal job. Unbelievably, Wenger was allowed to hang on, and on, even after Klopp left Dortmund without another club to go to last summer.

As a result, he ended up at Anfield. In his first few months, despite inheriting a piss-poor defensive unit which he has not had the chance to sort out, he has got them to a European semi-final. While they are not yet pulling up trees in the premier league, I know who I would trust more to make the sort of signings that will make a real difference next season and to get the most out of those he already has.

Just another reason to get rid of this failed, under-achieving old fraud as soon as possible. We may yet be in time to get Simeone, or someone else who can drag this club up by the bootstraps.

The Jorge
04-14-2016, 10:15 PM
Would I like Klopp to be the next Arsenal manager? Of course, even if he was better before everyone uncool got into him and he got all mainstream. The thing is, whichever way you slice it Arsene's earned his right to be in charge of his destiny and it wasnt time. He'd just won back-to-back cups so, unless he wanted to bow out on that particular high note, he wasnt going anywhere.

I dont see why this needs to lead to the primal angst that it does for some people. We get it, you dont like him and you want him to go.

Brexit = Keine Pumpernickel
04-14-2016, 10:45 PM
What is more close to home is that if Scousers win this ****ing thing they get a Champions League place at the expense of 4th place, so Wenger had better deliver top 3 or he should be toast.

Congratulations to.................better not jinx the league outcome :hide:

Jesus, I actually had to read things in order to get reconfigured and stuff to get back on the board.:old:

Ash
04-14-2016, 11:35 PM
Yes, I'd have liked Klopp to have been the next Arsenal manager too, but the timing wasn't right. I wonder, though, if you would have posted this is Liverpool hadn't scored a last minute goal and had been knocked out.

Pokster
04-15-2016, 07:05 AM
Actually if they win the Europa league and Man City don't win the CL then they don't take the 4th placed teams place.. you can now have 5 teams in the CL if one of your teams wins a European trophy (you would also need City to finish outside the top 4)

Yesterday Once More
04-15-2016, 07:38 AM
The timing wasn't right?! How? Why? Wenger was a busted flush five years ago, let alone by last summer. That (now I believe) a minority of our fans still think his "right" to choose when he steps down trumps everything else shows that they really can't separate the interests of Arsene from Arsenal. It's a form of brainwashing, and it isn't healthy.

"If we don't get 3rd place, he's toast!" Those who want Wenger to stay come what may will always set the bar as low as as likely to be achieved to back their argument. Qualifying for the Champions League in itself isn't sufficient, unless we are able to give it a proper go, which we haven't done for at least 7 years.

Sir C
04-15-2016, 08:14 AM
Martin Keown: "We all know what he did not just for our club but for English football and he deserves to leave on his own terms."

Dennis Bergkamp: "I still think he’s got that drive and if he gets the opportunity to stay there, he will take it I’m sure. He’s still a good manager and you never know what you’ll get if you bring a new one in. That’s the problem.

‘Look what happened at Man United when Sir Alex Ferguson left. You never know what’s better. To bring someone new, someone fresh or stick to someone who knows the club. I’m sure (Wenger) is still ambitious to win trophies. As long as you don’t lose the connection with the team."

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
04-15-2016, 08:20 AM
I make you right Yest'. Klopp is young, articulate, passionate and very capable. A manager that can inspire an impossible comeback; a general for whom his troops will run through walls.

Msr Wenger is the undisputed master architect of the spectacular capitulation whose soldiers spend their time subverting him before preening on social media and spreading defeatism among their comrades.

The old tit should have gone five years ago but I fear we'll have to prize his fingers off the door of the managers office.

Luis Anaconda
04-15-2016, 08:29 AM
Fair enough he hasn't had time to sort out Liverpool's atrocious defence but by the same token he must share some responsibility for the terrible defending from the other team last night - they were all his players, he put that defence together? No?

Playing the limited resources card to praise Klopp is also slightly misleading - they had limited resources compared to Bayern but hardly in compared to the other Bundesliga clubs. He also had the luck that those two years he won the league Bayern were in meltdown thanks in no small part to a certain Mr van Gaal. There simply isn't the same depth in Germany or the same clubs with billionaire owners that you have to contend with in England. And of course, you can also argue when the financial situation became much brighter he led a team that had finished second to one that was sitting bottom of the table halfway through the season.

I don't want to knock Klopp - I think he is a very good manager. Just interesting that you can't turn the same critical eye over him as you do with Wenger.

Also, funny that your first meaningful post back is yet again a paeon to your beloved Liverpool? Are you actually sure you don't support them? You seem to have quite a regard for a club that has been a ****ing shambles for most of this decade

Sir C
04-15-2016, 08:34 AM
get rid of this failed, under-achieving old fraud as soon as possible.

You wanted an interesting debate without personal abuse?

Whatever you think of Wenger, his service to the club surely makes him worthy of some basic respect?

Red N White Army
04-15-2016, 08:36 AM
Most of the last 3 decades tbf, European cups or not.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
04-15-2016, 08:40 AM
Do you know what happened to sodd?

Ash
04-15-2016, 09:34 AM
Do you know what happened to sodd?

Ah, yes. It was Sodd who posted the picture of a young YOM hoisting the 71 FA Cup aloft. The young YOM who presumably liked the FA Cup and celebrated winning it. The old YOM, alas, is the same as Monty when it comes to the FA Cup. Considers it worthless. :-(

Yesterday Once More
04-15-2016, 11:02 AM
You've made a valid point on use of language, Sir C. Fraud was unnecessarily personal - serial under-achiever will do.

As to whether his record/service makes him worthy of respect: had he gone at least 5 years ago then yes he should and would have been remembered for all the good things about his earlier years. But he has remained way beyond his sell-by date, knowing full well that Kronke will not remove him whatever he does or doesn't achieve. Slowly but surely, the respect he had has been eroded. He could have chosen a different ending.

Brexit = Keine Pumpernickel
04-15-2016, 12:54 PM
Actually if they win the Europa league and Man City don't win the CL then they don't take the 4th placed teams place.. you can now have 5 teams in the CL if one of your teams wins a European trophy (you would also need City to finish outside the top 4)

Interesting, but City will get gang raped by the likes of Athletico