PDA

View Full Version : Watching the 6 Nations must be what watching 2nd Div footie feels like.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
03-12-2016, 06:03 PM
I watched us get hammered at cricket by the Windies and Aussies in the '80s and '90s, but that was watching us being beaten by a great team.

But watching the 6 nations, when the 4 southern hemisphere nations made up the RWC semi-finalists, is like old-skool 2nd division football.

It's not very edifying.

Billy Goat Sverige
03-12-2016, 06:10 PM

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
03-12-2016, 06:21 PM
the six nations is weird for me knowing that there are much better teams elsewhere.

In the prem, I've seen us get beaten by better teams. Likewise the CL. And in the cricket.

But this rugby now feels like it's the Div 2 championship.

Though if you're right and we win our autumn intls things may change.

But now, it feels like watching 2nd Div footie.

NZgunner
03-12-2016, 11:47 PM
what you have to understand is that rugby down here is completely controlled by the New Zealand Rugby Union, and in NZ everything is geared around making sure the All Blacks field the strongest and most well organised side, particularly in world cup years

players are employed by the NZRFU, not by their Super rugby franchises - so top players are rested and managed according to the needs of the ABs

a couple of our most recent stars, Ritchie McCaw and Dan Carter, were even given a year off rugby between world cups (it was called a sabbatical) - could you imagine a top footballer at the peak of his powers not playing for a year just to ensure he was in the best shape for the world cup?