PDA

View Full Version : Doing some research on Jeremy Thorpe. Interesting to see that in 1974, when both he and Cyril Smith

Mo Britain less Europe
03-01-2016, 06:02 PM
loomed large in the Liberal Party leadership they were given support by - Jimmy Savile!!!

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
03-01-2016, 08:09 PM
- and we did 1973-6 today. There was a 1974 cartoon with an old propeller bi-plane {called 'Spirit of 1906'} with Thorpe the pilot and a huge Cyril Smith behind him.

The caption was something about take-off.

It was in the run up to the first 1974 election in Feb {where the Libs went up from 6 to 14 seats} and people were talking about a Liberal revival.

It's a really fun little course. 8 or so 2-hr lectures just looking at cartoons to refresh us all on post-war politics that's 60-odd quid or less than 30 with concessions.

Though everyone else is retired, so they know all these minor players from the 50s-70s which was before my time. It ends next week so we won't get to the '80s I know about.

But didn't know about Jimmy Savile - I will tell the class next week. Do you have a link? Or even better, a link to a cartoon?

Mo Britain less Europe
03-01-2016, 09:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZprg04Od60

Also on youtube their political broadcast, featuring Smith and a Huw Thomas where telegrams supporting the Liberals at the 1974 are shown and one of these is from Savile. On 1.37

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVAvgn_38g

03-01-2016, 09:11 PM

Mo Britain less Europe
03-01-2016, 09:11 PM

03-01-2016, 09:26 PM
That's what my tutor said today.

As he said, imagine if that had happened, and he'd been Home Sec when the scandal broke.

Do you remember the Peter Cooke sketch from the Secret Policeman's Ball?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyos-M48B8U

Apparently, one of his fellow performers said he hadn't contributed anything original so he wrote that in half an hour and performed it that night.

Sheer genius.

Mo Britain less Europe
03-01-2016, 09:30 PM
his file!

Yeah, great sketch!!! Peter Cook was a genius. His monlogues and some of his stuff with Dudley Moore.

03-01-2016, 09:34 PM
I'm listening to the sketch now. It's still as funny as ever.

Do you know which year it was, btw? 76 or 77?

But my tutor said it was the home office that he was offered. That would have been great. Seeing the cartoons for the Profumo scandal was great as well. My beloved didn't know about that so I got her to watch the film Scandal with John Hurt with me.

Highly recommended if you haven't seen it.

Mo Britain less Europe
03-01-2016, 09:41 PM
He wasn't offered anything as such, the talks faltered on the big picture and never got down to detail. It's thought Thorpe wanted one of those two but he didn't have support for a coalition from his own parliamnetary party. Heath just wanted the Libs to prop him up, as they did Labour later.

Not sure about the year but would have thought 1977 likelier of the two.