PDA

View Full Version : Public Enemy having to squeeze into fan's Ford Focus to get to gig

Hendon Gooner (Only Easy Day Was Yesterday))
12-01-2015, 04:09 PM
After taxi drives off before picking them up.

Back in the day - they'd have "popped a cap" in that cab driver's ass... :hehe:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/12026764/How-g angsta-Hip-hop-legends-Public-Enemy-squash-into-fans-Ford-Fo cus-on-way-to-gig.html (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/12026764/How-gangsta-Hip-hop-legends-Public-Enemy-squash-into-fans-Ford-Focus-on-way-to-gig.html)

They're the Prophets of Rage, the New York rap revolutionaries who brought hip-hop into the mainstream.

Public Enemy meet fans at the Record Collector in Boomhill before playing the ArenaPublic Enemy meet fans at the Record Collector in Boomhill before playing the Arena Photo: Ross Parry / SWNS

But on Saturday the legendary Public Enemy were stuffed into a Ford Focus after being forced to hitch a ride to their gig in Sheffield.

The band had been at a record store in the city signing copies of their new album before the show.

Public Enemy meet fans at the Record Collector at Boomhill before playing the ArenaA fan gets a CD signed at the Record Collector in Boomhill Photo: Ross Parry / SWNS

Yet when the taxi driver booked to transport Chuck D and Flavor Flav to the gig drove off, they were left high and dry.

"People started panicking and looking for someone to drive, so I volunteered."
Kevin Wells

Panic broke out among the entourage - and no-one knew how were the band were going to get to the Motorpoint Arena where they were due to play with The Prodigy.

Until, to the rappers' delight, 50-year-old fan Kevin Wells, of Kilamarsh, stepped in.

Chuck D of Public Enemy performs at day 3 of the 2013 Glastonbury Festival Chuck D of Public Enemy performs at day 3 of the 2013 Glastonbury Festival Photo: Shirlaine Forrest

He had just nipped into the city's Record Collector store for a quick autograph, before realising he could help.

"Public Enemy had a taxi booked for 6.30pm, but it drove off before the guys had finished signing autographs," Mr Wells told the Sheffield Star.

"People started panicking and looking for someone to drive, so I volunteered."

En route, they rocked out to Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, in the style of the hit film Wayne’s World. And Mr Wells took a selfie.

"They were such nice guys, we had a right laugh," said Mr Wells.

"We were chatting away, but the phone was constantly going as their management were clearly worried.

"Then as we were coming through Attercliffe, Bohemian Rhapsody, by Queen, came on the radio.

"Everyone was singing the words and rocking out in the back of my car, it was like a Wayne’s World moment.

"I was looking in the rear view mirror thinking, 'is this actually happening?'"

Public Enemy shot to fame in 1987 with album Yo! Bum Rush the Show and their 1988 album It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back is often cited in lists of the greatest records of all time.

Mr Wells, a regular customer at the store, added: "We got to the arena about 15 minutes before they were due on stage.

"I drove up to security and said, ‘I’ve got the band in the back.’

"I was looking in the rear view mirror thinking, 'is this actually happening?'"
Kevin Wells

"They looked at me as if I was having them on, but then I rolled down the windows and Chuck D showed them the security pass.

"Amazing, it just didn’t feel real."

Public Enemy had booked the taxi to avoid trying to get their tour bus through Sheffield's narrow roads.

Barry Everard, owner of Record Collector, told the Telegraoh how his "heart sank" when the taxi drove off when the band stopped to take pictures.

He said: "It was on a bit of a knife-edge, it could have gone horribly wrong and they might have had a problem getting to the show.

"They were a happy band in the store but we were worried we would have an unhappy band. But they were pretty chilled about it.

"It has to be said they were absolutely lovely guys and it was a pleasure to have them.

"I guess it was Saturday night and time is money for hte taxi driver. He wasn't parked outside the shop and he just left to do another job I assume.

barrybueno
12-01-2015, 04:36 PM
I've got that wrong I know :hehe:

Berni
12-01-2015, 04:38 PM