PDA

View Full Version : Mourinho moaning about Wenger - Thought he'd be happy to have an opponent not under pressure to win

Hendon Gooner (Only Easy Day Was Yesterday))
09-26-2015, 01:23 PM
the league title or major trophies and is happy to be a top 4 finisher.....but then again I suppose he can't help himself..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/1189 2551/Chelsea-manager-Jose-Mourinho-renews-attack-on-Arsenal- counterpart-Arsene-Wenger-his-bitterest-rival.html (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/11892551/Chelsea-manager-Jose-Mourinho-renews-attack-on-Arsenal-counterpart-Arsene-Wenger-his-bitterest-rival.html)

Each word was coated with a sarcastic vitriol as Jose Mourinho laid bare his deepening antipathy towards Arsene Wenger – even claiming that it was “in the rule book” that the Arsenal manager can criticise referees and push other managers without being punished by the authorities.

• In pics: Mourinho v Wenger - the (still ongoing) war of words

The Chelsea manager also mocked Wenger who “can moan, can cry in the morning, in the afternoon, and nothing happens. He cannot achieve [success], keep his job, still be the king”. His attack confirmed again the distance that has grown and grown so damagingly between the two. Asked whether he was claiming that Wenger is treated differently than other managers by the Football Association when it comes to disciplinary action, Mourinho said: “A good question. I don’t have a theory. I just have a reality. Just something that is real and is objective. If I speak about the referee, I am suspended. If I push a manager in the technical area [as Wenger did Mourinho at Stamford Bridge in October 2014], I am banned from the stadium. If I speak about players from other clubs and ask for suspensions, I am in trouble. So, clearly, the facts are there. I don’t envy.”

His brooding anger was provoked by the three-match ban delivered to Diego Costa, whose behaviour was labelled “disgusting” by Wenger as he called for retrospective disciplinary action, after Arsenal’s defeat away to Chelsea last weekend. Gabriel Paulista was sent off during that match but the FA has subsequently upheld Arsenal’s appeal although the defender has since been handed a one-match ban, and fined GBP10,000, for improper conduct after his reaction to the red card.

Mourinho studiously did not name Wenger in his responses on Friday and asked whether he feared referees would now target Costa he said “no comment” before then adding: “I tell you why. In the rules book it says some managers can speak about the referees before and after games. Some others cannot. “Then comes the list. I am in the list of those who are punished if they speak about the referees before the game. I have to stick to that rule book and I am in the list of those who cannot speak about the referees.”

Wenger criticised referee Mike Dean after last Saturday’s clash – which can, depending on the strength of the criticism, provoke a FA misconduct charge. However Mourinho said: “You know that some can [criticise].” When pushed as to whether he genuinely believed there was a “list”, he added: “An imaginary list, but clearly.”

On Saturday evening Chelsea face Newcastle United at St James’ Park – a stadium where Mourinho has, bizarrely, failed to win – and he was asked his thoughts on the opposition’s under-fire manager Steve McClaren. Again he turned it back to Wenger. Again without naming him. Again, it was a familiar attack. “In this country, only one manager is not under pressure,” Mourinho said. “Every other manager is. I am under pressure, Steve is under pressure, [Manuel] Pellegrini is under pressure, Brendan [Rodgers] too. We cannot be below par. We have to meet the objectives. I have sympathy with all of them, because it’s a difficult job. There’s one outside that list, but good for him. I have sympathy for Steve.”

Pushed as to whether he would name Wenger and who else may be on the imaginary list, Mourinho reiterated: “You know. The one who can speak about the referees before the game, after the game, can push people in the technical area, can moan, can cry in the morning in the afternoon, nothing happens. He can not achieve, keep his job, still be the king. I say just one.”

Chelsea will study the full written reasons for Costa’s violent conduct charge, which they received on Friday, before deciding whether to formally respond. The FA will publish the reasons early next week although there remains some confusion as to why Gabriel’s appeal was successful. Even Wenger, at the time, said his player’s conduct merited dismissal.