PDA

View Full Version : “Can we try to have more of a grown-up media? Or is that too much to ask?”

Ashberto
09-25-2015, 12:03 PM
“The media treatment of any politician over unsubstantiated allegations, be it David Cameron, me or anyone else, is wrong and too much of our media is obsessed with personality politics, obsessed with personal criticism of politicians and therefore detracting from very serious issues around housing, living standards, jobs or world peace."

Very well said that man.

Luis Anaconda
09-25-2015, 12:07 PM
reflects the views and attitudes of the population not the other way round. In other words - the people need to grow up first

barrybueno
09-25-2015, 12:25 PM
I agree with both of you tbh.

Ashberto
09-25-2015, 12:26 PM
we should be punishing the population? Or at least those of them who bought that paper?

I agree that we shouldn't consider the public to be automata, but are you quite sure that the media never lead public opinion? Where else do ideas come from?

Ashberto
09-25-2015, 12:27 PM
:hehe:

Classic Jorge
09-25-2015, 12:28 PM
Look, people dont want grey areas, they want easy characatures. The last thing they want to do is have to think about anything. If anything has a tonality to it then they'll start coming to all sorts of opinions on their own and then what good will a media built around telling everyone to think be?

barrybueno
09-25-2015, 12:29 PM

Luis Anaconda
09-25-2015, 12:32 PM
and at no point did I say people in media should be allowed to break the law which is quite a bizarre comeback to my point. Do you honestly believe though the insatiable desire of the public for information on people's private lives is an invention of the media?

Monty91
09-25-2015, 12:33 PM
watch output based on personality politics than serious reportage or comment.

If Corbyn thinks the majority of the populace are cretins for this – which clearly from his comments he does – why is he so keen to give these same cretins a voice through his "new kind of politics"?

And why are you so keen to a defend a person who thinks the majority of the populace are cretins?

Classic Jorge
09-25-2015, 12:33 PM

Luis Anaconda
09-25-2015, 12:34 PM
bejeezus said Paddy I sang it so well I'll think I'll get up and I'll sing it again
AllenallenallenAkbar

Come on you reds

No wonder he's a gooner

Monty91
09-25-2015, 12:41 PM
alternative. The problem, as always, is that people are cretins. And quite clearly, Corbyn agrees with this but is too cowardly to say it outright and instead uses the media as a proxy.

I love the idea that Corbyn is hailed as some kind of bastion of truth, a man who "says it how it is", when the truth is he's far too scared to say what he really means, which is that the people he is so desperate to "give a voice" to are cretins.

Ashberto
09-25-2015, 12:56 PM
- which was obviously what I meant by 'where ideas come from', so no need to be so obtuse about that.

Yeah, and scratch the NotW thing. That was *******s.

Classic Jorge
09-25-2015, 12:58 PM
It's pretty clear that JC is much, much less in hock to the usual media suspects than the majority of the political figures of the last 25 years and as such is a lot freer to say exactly what he feels.

And if you think he has anything like as low an opinion on people as The Viscount Rothermere, the Barclay Brothers or Rupert Murdoch then you obviously need to do some reading up on them.

Ashberto
09-25-2015, 01:02 PM
The message is pretty f**king plain to me. Can we please talk about the things like matter - housing, living standards, jobs, and peace. For me those those are core principles, and are what politics ought to be about than crucifying a bloke who can't stomach all the bowing and scraping to the queen bull****. And it is all bull**** as well you know.

Monty91
09-25-2015, 01:04 PM
and poisons discourse on serious issues. We can also take as read that he is aware that the reason the media focusses on personality politics is because this is what the majority of people want. They want childish and fatuous.

So what do you imagine he thinks of these people? That they are reading this stuff against their desires and instinct? Or that their desires and instincts are intrinsically childish and fatuous?

Ashberto
09-25-2015, 01:05 PM
Maybe they can take part of the blame for that but they are not the ones with the power. To absolve the powerful of the influence they wield is sheer denial.

Monty91
09-25-2015, 01:10 PM
digital world has any excuse not to be informed about the issues that matter. Unless, of course, they don’t want to be. Because they are cretins and prefer personality politics.

Get it now?

Mo Britain less Europe
09-25-2015, 01:12 PM

Monty91
09-25-2015, 01:13 PM
below, no-one alive today and with access to a computer or smart phone has any excuse for not being informed on serious issues. The mainstream media that Corbyn attacks is dead. How typical that a man whose politics are rooted in the past would take such an antiquated and irrelevant position. He is about 30 years late, the thick c**t.

Unless, of course, he is criticising people and not the media.

Got it yet? Getting any warmer?

Classic Jorge
09-25-2015, 01:13 PM
...and selling satellite TV packages over reporting real news that actually matters.

Do you honestly think he thinks less of people than Viscount Rothermere, the Barclays or Murdoch?

Luis Anaconda
09-25-2015, 01:17 PM
which is about the type of journalism which clearly panders to the public need for gossip basically. I am not saying this is right but it is clearly the case

Classic Jorge
09-25-2015, 01:18 PM
The boy JC really seems to have upset you

Monty91
09-25-2015, 01:18 PM
to do so is pretty much essential to the role. Stack em high, sell em cheap.

Classic Jorge
09-25-2015, 01:21 PM
I'm a bit concerned as to why he seems to have enraged you so. I've never met a more dutiful, conscientious and hard working MP, or one where his constituents had nothing but good things to say about him.

Monty91
09-25-2015, 01:23 PM
are demonstrating such staggering naivety.

Monty91
09-25-2015, 01:29 PM
playing the media game. After all, his comments were picked up by the media and have been unthinkingly lapped up by the likes of you and Ashberto.

And of course he is essentially right in that it is tragic that the public appetite for triviality means we get the media we deserve. I would never argue with him about that.

Ashberto
09-25-2015, 01:36 PM
of those who have their ear to go rooting around the bottom half of the internet, or to engage others on public forums, to get another side of the story.

Where is the balance in the news outlets people go to, however mistaken they may be? A handful of rich and powerful people are protecting their interests and monopoly on power by ensuring that the Labour party returns to its acceptable role of Tory Party Number 2, and you ignore them completely, preferring to bang your battered old drum about the 'cretinous' public.

Classic Jorge
09-25-2015, 01:37 PM
At the very time Gideon is negotiating a deal to lock our stockmarket in with the chinese one and giving them the keys to our nuclear infrastructure, no less.

Monty91
09-25-2015, 01:41 PM
cretins?

Classic Jorge
09-25-2015, 01:41 PM
I dont for a minute believe you see me as some sort of equivalence to you.

Monty91
09-25-2015, 01:43 PM
a push :shrug:

Classic Jorge
09-25-2015, 01:50 PM
;-) Only joking ash.

Ashberto
09-25-2015, 01:57 PM
I can keep this going all day, btw.

Luis Anaconda
09-25-2015, 02:00 PM

Monty91
09-25-2015, 02:01 PM
or would they just disengage entirely?

My missus worked on a project with The Sun a while back which has resulted in them dropping their online paywall. One of their findings was that if the paper dropped their Mission Statement of “light hearted news” in favour of serious reporting, the paper would fold within a year.

I can tell you for a fact that if The Sun started reporting seriously on politics it would lose one reader instantly: my father.

Cretin, y'see.

Classic Jorge
09-25-2015, 02:09 PM
It's a tactic I occasionally use to throw people off the scent of just how masive an egotistical narcisist I am.

Ashberto
09-25-2015, 02:12 PM
Is he the source of your twisted misanthropy, do you think?

Monty91
09-25-2015, 02:19 PM
demands and expectations of people and am disappointed when they fall below them. Equally, I have immense respect for anyone who fulfils their potential – intellectual or otherwise.

Which is why in this instance I’m disappointed in you and Jorge.

Ashberto
09-25-2015, 02:28 PM
and how nurses and teachers and office workers were struggling to make ends meet, while billionaires around the world bought up property in London and left it empty as investments.

It's not hard to imagine how they could sell that story - after all it is, imo, a MASSIVE f**king scandal that a whole generation has been priced out of the property market while a tiny layer at the top get richer and richer.

Then ask WHY has this issue not been seriously addressed by the political parties? The Sun says "WHY have our leaders BETRAYED a generation?" ... and so on. There's a lot of people that could appeal to.

Do you get it now?

Luis Anaconda
09-25-2015, 02:30 PM

Monty91
09-25-2015, 02:40 PM
, I even posted some articles the other day from the rabidly pro-Tory Daily Telegraph covering in great detail (and highly objectively) the deaths of people deemed to have been caused by welfare cuts.

Or to put it more succinctly, what in the name of Christ are you jibbering on about?

Ashberto
09-25-2015, 03:41 PM
Not sure why you're struggling to comprehend that.

Monty91
09-25-2015, 04:38 PM
cretinous, cancer deserving readers. If it did anything else, it would not survive because no-one would read it.

What exactly have i failed to comprehend here?

redgunamo
09-25-2015, 06:05 PM
things to worry about, unlike politicians. And, furthermore, crucially, the public is actually *responsible* for dealing with these things (mortgage payments, the kids' new ipad, posh holidays and so on), unlike politics which is, rightly, merely the responsibility of politicians.

The only people who care about "the issues" are probably people who have no money, no families and almost certainly therefore no hope or future. They use the so-called more important stuff to make themselves feel .. well, more important, and to mask their own weakness and impotence.

Nobody seriously expects you or I, or even this Corbyn worthy, to actually solve any particular world crisis. However, appearing to worry about it allows us to avoid taking actual responsibility for stuff. Local, salient matters where our active input could make a real difference. Like the wife's new hairdo or the fact that the house needs painting and the lawn needs mowing.

Everyone wants to save the planet, as the man said. But nobody wants to help mum do the dishes.

Ashberto
09-25-2015, 10:00 PM
She "never took no **** from no-one" as the old Clash song went.

And of course people care about housing, jobs and living standards. How else do they can afford a new iPad?

What is an iPad, anyway? Is it a studio flat of some kind?

redgunamo
09-26-2015, 08:57 AM
Now, if you'd only followed this lead and emphasised its value to your own offspring, the world would be a better place already.

People do *not* care about housing, jobs and living standards; they care about their *own* housing, jobs and living standards, which is a different matter entirely. The latter demands personal responsibility and leadership whereas the former merely requires whining; no actual morals, merely an impertinent, bossy and arrogant presumption of moral superiority.

I'm not completely au fait with the science of the thing but I gather an ipad is the solution to all household, or "housing", if you prefer, issues. In fact, if they come with a house-painting application included, I may have to get one for myself :-(

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/4FLI3xy1SQaJFlhavuPNwOXYDumG_8Tk-O6HYy_2KXkLNSqxpY2uJzGv_nuKu30g9h6yTW3KIjtLphsic3S bVvlFa84_JiUnCDdv7D6H5VlRGh-vUkbEf-gY9ZX2ruqjSQAtT5tOZ_eERrpRC8xdhuqiYhwjdsbzo-LRx6HdPuerR8d7is_21PdQ7va3__QDq2407MsJgDdNAXVxDWC8 Wt8M7IQsW4Wur_kCMknzA6YOdMUm-a3ko_7-FTWntAfnp1ZrHS31-MtcS3u2PJkNBoI6Cw6OM3j0I6AV52JqaXfl9pppllfvMJ8q8D3 6BJckRI7ncVCMDloshhsUX1a9e8IIkRvVDOil8XQeZwstAiIKI _D_nU1jpAXZw5P5KCsDD-zVwVcAg2qf_v_eDSAOIDxrqcBy_M9tbmI6Ctvi6SJokS5kzCBR VlKbo-rXx0gCG7icYttN7FM2LwQjz0z2Q6TJPOOnBtlLqEbVtVIZLhoG tTlt_ONaFiXVmh_Zyglkl4vnzs1Rg65100sIDsmao6zZdcqeFR wNb6hcubxY5P1O=w510-h397-no