PDA

View Full Version : I still don’t understand how anyone can think we desperately need any outfield signings other than a

Monty91
09-03-2015, 10:34 AM
a world class central striker.

Can someone explain?

Classic Jorge
09-03-2015, 10:40 AM

barrybueno
09-03-2015, 10:43 AM
with you. But this is Arsenal.

Steve Williams - gay for Mark Knopfler
09-03-2015, 10:44 AM
We do not ‘desperately’ need a new striker nor do we desperately need a new midfield player, being the two positions most are commenting on. For the record we did not desperately need a new keeper either.

Could we have improved on options in the two positions, arguably yes. Would a new signing in midfield 100% resulted in the demotion of Coquelin which I think is the bone of your contention? No, but if a new player arrived and his form dictated his place in the starting 11 ahead of Coquelin then so be it (as indeed Coquelin did to Arteta).

To have done absolutely nothing is bizarre, more so given our financial power.

Not a sacking offence. Not worthy of a protest at the Emirates, but bizarre.

Monty91
09-03-2015, 10:44 AM
as natural defensive back-ups?

Strange times.

Prat
09-03-2015, 10:45 AM
But I agree on this. I would go further and say we do not need another striker.

Rupert

Pat Vegas
Though I did see Wenger adapt his team in certain games against the 'big four' last season and it worked.

Though our team do seem a bit bipolar at times, Though all teams have ups and downs.

Luis Anaconda
midfield question and you are either being thick or obtuse - obviously the latter being you

redgunamo
09-03-2015, 10:47 AM
more players as mostly different ones.

Monty91
09-03-2015, 10:47 AM
is even closer to a matter of necessity.

Perhaps you can help me or am I a lost cause?

Monty91
09-03-2015, 10:49 AM
would be any talk of needing a new midfielder.

This is absurd.

Snin
09-03-2015, 10:51 AM
:homer: :banghead:

Billy Goat Sverige
09-03-2015, 10:52 AM
together is fine (see Schneiderlin/Scweinsteiger/Carrick). Playing Arteta in a midfield 3 comprising of Cazorla and Ozil is just asking for trouble.

Hence the need for another midfielder similar to Coquelin.

redgunamo
09-03-2015, 10:54 AM
your mum.

Monty91
09-03-2015, 10:58 AM
a tidy passer, which is essential from deep positions for the way we play.

He obviously lacks Coquelin's mobility but he is, after all, only a back up.

And back up to him is Flamini. Limited, but highly experienced and only, after all, third choice.

Nope, can't see the need in the slightest.

Classic Jorge
09-03-2015, 11:00 AM
I think we're a significantly weaker team, especially against stronger opposition and/or away from home without Coq in the middle.

That's the major place we needed to strenghthen and failed to

wibble the lobster
09-03-2015, 11:04 AM
petty much agree.

Thing is that whilst I can agree at the risks of buying a benzema or cavani for 45m when they have little or no resale value and whilst (say) aubemayang may not have been available and there may be a shortage of younger star strikers around with resale value.

Juventus managed to buy Mandzukic for 19m euro
Atlectico manage to buy Jackson Martinez for 25m euro

So it isn't entirely true that there weren't strikers out there in this window (or the previous 3/4) that would not have improved our squad and which we could not have afforded. I would rather have either of the above than Joel Campbell in our squad still.

Others like dzeko on the market too, so it is not true that the cupboard was bare unless one put in silly money for unproven monagesque 19 year olds.

The bottom line has to be that either we went for the wrong (i.e. unobtainable) targets again or the rich clubs have upped the transfer game again to a level we wont compete at (in which case, I think people are right to question why we have to have the highest ticket prices).

09-03-2015, 11:05 AM
The same doubts that even Wenger had about him as a footballer only 9 months ago, the doubts that would have seen him leaving the club in the summer but for that twist of fate which saw him called back from Charlton.

That’s not to say or accept that his form since his return has been superb and he is fully deserving of his position in the first 11.

Personally I would still have welcomed another player. That player would have been Schneiderlinn who has impressed every single time I have seen him play. A player to compete with Coquelin, and also to compete with the other midfield players at the club, a player to even play with and complement Coquelin in certain games where tactically that was deemed prudent.

I do not really rate Flamini as an option any longer. I suspect he would not be at the club any longer if we could have moved him on in the summer but as we both know clubs do not move on Flamini, he decides his every move.

Arteta? Fine player but let’s see how he gets on over the season, time and tide etc.

Anyway we did not sign anybody so we move on.

Monty91
09-03-2015, 11:12 AM
He is hardly the first player to only show his true ability in his early to mid-20s.

09-03-2015, 11:21 AM
But they will really want to see this form or ability proven over a sustained period of time as opposed to what it has been, 4-5 months.

And it still does not get away from the fundamental principle of improving options, which is all people looked for.

Your opinion seems to be that we could not have improved on Arteta and Flamini, others (most others perhaps) appear to have a different opinion. That’s all it is, differing opinions about football. Very, very normal in fact.

09-03-2015, 11:24 AM
So the unattainable to which you allude.

I do not of course know if this is true.

Now to be fair to Arsene trying to sell Arsenal to the number one striker at the biggest club in world football would have been a difficult sell, one only really feasible when or if Madrid decided to offload him to accommodate a new Galactico type player. The circumstances which after all allowed us to sign the likes of Ozil and Sanchez.

Monty91
09-03-2015, 11:33 AM
That is a staggeringly simplistic way of looking at things, though.

09-03-2015, 11:50 AM
Why do you think Barcelona signed Arda Turan? Why do you think City signed Sterling, or de Bruyne? Why do you think Chelsea signed Pedro and tried to sign Stones? Bayern Munich … Vidal. PSG … Di Maria.

All these clubs already had existing players but chose to buy others.

You do realise here that I could proceed and list every major football club in Europe except one.

This is not a 'buy for the sake of it' call by the way before I am accused of this.

Ashberto
09-03-2015, 11:51 AM
We need food, water*, shelter, and an means of income to ensure secure provision thereof. And love.

Sometimes it is good to get a sense of perspective.

*As long as it doesn't escape.

Sir Charlie of Nicholas
09-03-2015, 11:52 AM
Including transfers in Spain.

You're a sick puppy and should, without doubt, be barred from the vicinity of junior schools. No offence.

Sir Charlie of Nicholas
09-03-2015, 11:54 AM
We'd die without music.

Yes, need.

http://www.sky.com/watch/channel/sky-arts/the-story-of-the-j am/ (http://www.sky.com/watch/channel/sky-arts/the-story-of-the-jam/)

Gig from Germany on before. That's your Saturday evening sorted.

See above.

09-03-2015, 11:59 AM
The twice weekly training sessions with the Knocklyon United Saturday Under 9s.

Sir Charlie of Nicholas
09-03-2015, 12:01 PM
I recommend going to a priest for advice.

Luis Anaconda
09-03-2015, 12:08 PM
and cricket naturally

Sir Charlie of Nicholas
09-03-2015, 12:09 PM

Luis Anaconda
09-03-2015, 12:13 PM
quo, while using it to continue his increasingly tedious "all football fans are thick c**ts" schtick. The fact that he underlines the very reason people think we should get another cm, while shrugging his shoulders at the end and saying I don't get it is rather amusing though. Whether you agree with it or not, it is hardly the unfathomable position he tries to make it out to be

Luis Anaconda
09-03-2015, 12:16 PM

Sir Charlie of Nicholas
09-03-2015, 12:17 PM
After all, what else is one supposed to drink with breakfast?

Luis Anaconda
09-03-2015, 12:31 PM

Ashberto
09-03-2015, 12:33 PM

09-03-2015, 12:34 PM
I look forward to his regular Monday morning posts during the season when FC or MA has a good game on the Saturday.

The "where are all the thick c**ts who said FC was ****" type posts.

Ashberto
09-03-2015, 12:35 PM

Sir Charlie of Nicholas
09-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Exept fast cars and aeroplanes, which obviously go without saying.