PDA

View Full Version : I think my feelings about tube drivers have gone beyond outrage to sheer bemusement.

Berni
07-09-2015, 08:39 AM
They get paid a starting wage of nearly 50k - higher than some hospital doctors - for a job that requires no more than passing Maths and English GCSEs. They work a 36 hour week, get 43 days' holiday a year and umpteen other benefits for what is essentially an unskilled job that could be done better by a computer.

Why do they get these things? Because their jobs are stressful? No. Because their jobs are dangerous? No. Because no-one else can do their jobs? No.

They get these things because they have consistently held one of the world's biggest cities to ransom through their unionised bullying. I don't know what anyone thinks the union movement is for, but I'd be amazed if even the most hardened lefty could justify giving vastly over-inflated wages to people because otherwise they will threaten the livelihoods of other workers.

They block all and any technological progress in order to keep their nests feathered and thus ensure that the commuting experience for their fellow workers is as miserable as humanly possible. They use the excuse of health and safety, but of course, the last time they threatened to strike, it was on behalf of one of their 'brethren' who had been found pissed in charge of a tube train.

In short: they are utter, utter scum and deserve to be gassed.

Sir Charlie of Nicholas
07-09-2015, 08:44 AM
What we need is a miner's strike style confrontation, coupled with investment in driverless trains.

They know that they will have to break us in this island or lose the war. If we can stand up to them, all London may be freed and the life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands.

Jake
07-09-2015, 08:45 AM
It's a big old can of worms so I can understand the need for assurances/limitations/clear structure.

Berni
07-09-2015, 08:47 AM
that time, which would be both safer and better all round.

Don't think they're going to do that, though, are they?

Berni
07-09-2015, 08:49 AM
They go on strike? Fine. Move in the replacement workers who can be trained to do the job in about half an hour. End of problem.

Sir Charlie of Nicholas
07-09-2015, 08:53 AM
It's an absurd anachronism which has brought the country nothing but trouble.

Put unions on the list of banned organisations such as Al-Qaeda and the Communist Party and things would improve overnight.

Sir Charlie of Nicholas
07-09-2015, 08:56 AM
When I've got a customer sitting with his face full of tits I can hardly up and leave him to it, can I?

Pat Vegas
07-09-2015, 09:00 AM
that's 285 quid a shift extra.

Although it seems working nights is a pain. The early shift drivers start about 04:45 in the morning on some lines so it's hardly much different.

eastgermanautos
07-09-2015, 09:03 AM

Ashberto
07-09-2015, 09:03 AM
I've not quite got it, I'm afraid.

Pat Vegas
07-09-2015, 09:04 AM
Victoria line, Northern Line, Jubilee Line, Central line.
They are all automated already. All the driver does is press 2 buttons and the train does the rest. They just open and close the doors. They can take over the controls if needed.

So essentially they do what the guards used to do. Most stations have a guard on the platform now why not have them operate the doors and f**k the drivers off.

The Rob2
07-09-2015, 09:04 AM

Sir Charlie of Nicholas
07-09-2015, 09:06 AM
What if he wants more private dances? What if he requires a hooker?

A good host must remain on site until his guests have departed.

:-(

Steve Williams - gay for Mark Knopfler
07-09-2015, 09:07 AM

Ashberto
07-09-2015, 09:12 AM

Ben.
07-09-2015, 09:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHu_cfy33bY

Ashberto
07-09-2015, 09:14 AM
You often say how you'd like a well-paid job that requires no effort or qualifications.

Pat Vegas
07-09-2015, 09:17 AM
through working at stations and stuff. (which they are getting rid of station staff)

Then positions rarely become available. It's a big closed doors club.

Strange for a job where the 'worklife balance' is terrible and they don't 'earn enough'

But all that side I would love that. Unless it all kicked off on my train that might be a bit stressful.

Sir Charlie of Nicholas
07-09-2015, 09:18 AM
We will never address the inequalities in society if we are not prepared to sacrifice our own comfort on the altar of industry.

Berni
07-09-2015, 09:20 AM
kinds of hours or do those kinds of things.

Yesterday, I had to get up at 4.30, drive to the airport with bugger all sleep, get on a plane to Denmark, go to a lunch and meeting, go back to the airport, fly back and then drive home. All in all, it was a 15 hour working day, but I'm not getting overtime or moaning about it - it's just part of the job and the truth is that that's how business gets done. But if you applied strict employment legislation to a day like that, it would be illegal. That's because employment legislation isn't fit for purpose bears no relation to the reality of most people's working lives. The only people who call on it are timewasters and the workshy.

Ashberto
07-09-2015, 09:32 AM
So now I try to avoid jobs involving all that unpaid travel. Still, you probably get some of the time back in the office to kick back and read the Guardian and post how outraged you are about it on here. :-)

Luis Anaconda
07-09-2015, 09:47 AM
we've been offering solutions like part-time night jobs (in place and ready for stations) and fixed rosters for over a year but they would only accept the all night service on their unrealistic terms such as a four day week or lots of compensatory time off.
We've had night duties on each line for decades and the old allowances for these are consolidated into every Train Operator's salary regardless of whether they work them or not. They tend to swap duties so the same people generally pick them up and, in any case, many depots have none at all. The net increase in night duties from putting these duties on to service trains is very modest - possible two or three a year for a minority of the workforce. This is mainly because we've hired another 140 drivers to absorb the impact. And this is only interim as we still hope they'll agree to part-timers or the fixed solution

Mo Britain less Europe
07-09-2015, 09:50 AM
often the people in charge are there for their own political motives.

Mc Gooner
07-09-2015, 09:54 AM

Mc Gooner
07-09-2015, 10:05 AM

Jake
07-09-2015, 10:07 AM

Pat Vegas
07-09-2015, 10:39 AM

Trixie Popsicle
07-09-2015, 04:20 PM
This is a strike by LU station, drivers and engineering staff (including those who are responsible for power to the track ).

The papers have kidded all of the punters that this is a drivers strike. It's not, and there is so much more to this than the paying public are aware of (including safety concerns).

So all this digging out drivers is a bit out of order imho. I'm not a person who normally advocates striking, but in this case I totally support the staff, they are being shafted good and proper.

Trixie Popsicle
07-09-2015, 04:21 PM

Trixie Popsicle
07-10-2015, 12:12 PM
and people sometimes like to jump in front of your train!