PDA

View Full Version : I had my first net session last night for two years and now am unable to lift my arms above shoulder

Berni
06-10-2015, 09:52 AM
height. :-( :old:

Also, I found it very odd. All these young bowlers insisted I wear a helmet because they 'wouldn't feel safe' bowling at me without one. :shrug:

This being the first time I'd played with them, I couldn't very well say to them that I'd faced a f**k sight better and faster bowlers than them without a helmet and not suffered any serious injury, so I duly complied. Most of them were quite a bit younger than me and this is clearly the cricket culture they've grown up with and seeing people playing without a helmet clearly freaks them out a bit. I do feel it speaks to a loss of moral fibre and a lack of intestinal fortitude, though.

So, in summary: Hell in a handcart.

Pokster
06-10-2015, 10:10 AM

Berni
06-10-2015, 10:11 AM

Pokster
06-10-2015, 10:16 AM

Berni
06-10-2015, 10:24 AM
one-day cricket are constantly using non-orthodox shots (which is fine), but also have terrible defensive techniques and are genuinely abysmal against short-pitched bowling. Their trigger movement is a great big step down the pitch followed by an attempt to belt the cover off everything. If I'd batted like that as a youngster I would now have no front teeth and permanent brain damage.

Different times, I guess.

Monty91
06-10-2015, 10:44 AM
http://www.pitchvision.com/what-is-cricket-talent

Berni
06-10-2015, 10:56 AM
kid because coaches of kids favour size and power over technique.

Steve Williams - gay for Mark Knopfler
06-10-2015, 11:03 AM
This very night I am attending a presentation at my local club, Knocklyon United FC, as next season they are rolling out a program of "Catalan Training" to the Under 8 and Under 9 sides.

I may put my hand up tonight and point out to them what a complete f**king disaster it will be.

Berni
06-10-2015, 11:05 AM

barrybueno
06-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Didn't realise there's an actual world out there and people do things.

06-10-2015, 11:15 AM
It is not necessarily a chip-pissing on experience I am after, simply that I have stood as a parent on the sideline and watched this side develop from so called Nursery training through to Under 8 matches.

At various points mid-game I have seen Ninja fights, players playing on a different pitch in a different game and players stop in the middle of possession to stare and point at a passing helicopter / plane.

The concept of technique based Catalan training drills will simply be hilarious to watch. We are not dealing with a group of elite footballing prodigies here.

Pokster
06-10-2015, 11:34 AM
and the kids to do, turns into a complete farce as some of them are only there as their dads push them to do it and they have no understanding/ interest in football.
There again, a kid turned up last week who had just been released by Leeds... he was head and shoulders above anything else we have or have played against this season.

06-10-2015, 11:37 AM
And indeed a few we have played against who you can just tell could be good.

The rest though are 7-8 years old and the concept of rigid drill based training is farcical.

Pokster
06-10-2015, 11:57 AM
3v3 and have to pass it over the 1/2 way line works well

06-10-2015, 12:40 PM
3 v 3 in training and (trying to) insist on a pre-agreed number of passes before any attempt on goal can be made, which in turn has to be within a defined line.

Of course they just shoot from anywhere.

Ashberto
06-10-2015, 12:49 PM
only attacking the loose balls, and also on various techniques for tennis shots.

(At school I was never given a chance at cricket because the big lads who just thwacked it got all the chances.)

Point being is that if eight year-olds cannot learn technique these days then there's not enough moral fibre in the nation's breakfast or something like that.