PDA

View Full Version : Instead of ghastly penalty shootouts to settle games. Why not put the vote to twitter?

Pat Vegas
05-29-2015, 02:04 PM
In ice hockey they remove a player each side for overtime. Maybe they could do that here.

Keep playing indefinitely. removing a player every 10 mins golden goal style.

the splendor of antigone
05-29-2015, 02:09 PM

Classic Jorge
05-29-2015, 02:12 PM

Berni
05-29-2015, 02:51 PM

Classic Jorge
05-29-2015, 03:01 PM

Berni
05-29-2015, 03:03 PM
because they are the biggest and richest.

I can't see you reacting well to such a statement, so I find it interesting that you should adopt the same level of purblind, blinkered arrogance on behalf of football.

Classic Jorge
05-29-2015, 03:10 PM
Save for a couple of colonoial vestigials and the americans.

I'll admit football could learn a thing or two in its governance structures but there's little else it needs to heed.

Berni
05-29-2015, 03:21 PM
pretty much everything else you see today, football has borrowed pretty much wholesale from US sports models. From big screens in stadia to the designs of the stadia themselves, it pretty much all came from the US.

In terms of the game itself, it seems pretty obvious to me that the business of timekeeping in football is absurdly inexact and could learn from Rugby, where the clock stops when the whistle blows or the ball goes dead, while the continued and hilarious resistance to video replays just continues to make football look like it's run by dinosaurs (largely because it is).

Football doesn't so much have things to learn from other sports so much as desperately need to catch up with other sports.

Classic Jorge
05-29-2015, 03:25 PM
As for the things from rugby, yeah right :hehe:

You'll be suggesting they call the ref 'sir' next.

the splendor of antigone
05-29-2015, 03:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj9ZioNuty8

Berni
05-29-2015, 03:53 PM
arse hanging out of its trousers, I'd say you're wildly wrong.

And why are you letting your prejudice against a particular game stop you seeing that some of the ways in which it is run are superior to those used in football? Nobody's asking you to say you like rugby or watch it, merely to be open to good ideas from elsewhere. Your attitude is strikingly prejudiced.

Classic Jorge
05-29-2015, 03:58 PM
It's the simplicity which underpins the whole beauty of the thing. I want the game to be the same on Hackney Marshes as it is in the Maracana.

And yes, there's obviously some prejudice there but it still very much remains the case that football is more popular the world over than pretty much all the otehr sports combined. It must be doing something right.

Berni
05-29-2015, 04:08 PM
The training, the facilities, the pitches, the coaching, the quality of the officials - a million things mean that the money dictates that the game at the top is intrinsically different to the game at the bottom. They are different animals and should be treated as such. Pretending they are the same doesn't make them the same.

No other sport subscribes to this nonsensical, misty-eyed, quasi-mystical sort of nonsense. That football does so is a weakness rather than a strength.

Classic Jorge
05-29-2015, 04:10 PM
Stop confusing the other, auxiliary, stuff with the actual game.

Berni
05-29-2015, 04:15 PM
Mind you, that's only a few billion people.

And I'm not confusing the two things. I'm pointing out to you that the 'auxiliary stuff' as you call it is what makes the difference between muddy kickabouts and something people will actually pay money to watch. And as such, it is not 'auxiliary' at all.

Classic Jorge
05-29-2015, 09:44 PM
Our record attendance is 73000 against sunderland back in the 30s.