PDA

View Full Version : Pat, you mentioned the idea yesterday that the people to trust running the country

Ashberto
05-06-2015, 12:31 PM
were ‘rich posh boys’. Or words to that effect.

I don't know if you've seen the Secret History of Our Streets – Deptford.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01jt9bv

It’s the story of how a political elite destroyed the streets of Victorian housing in Deptford, and the communities that lived there, with total contempt for the people and their opinions. The houses were replaced with the concrete estates of the late 60s and early 70s, and we know how that ended.

I’ve no idea which party or parties the town planners were – and it doesn’t matter, but you can see from the film what type of people they were, how detached they were from those whose lives they ruined, and how they automatically assumed that they had the right to do as they pleased to those they considered inferior beings, to satisfy their own fantasies of a futuristic urban utopia.

Witharby 2-3 weeks
05-06-2015, 01:00 PM

Pat Vegas
05-06-2015, 01:03 PM
But I don't think it matters who gets voted in. It's more or less the same.

Ashberto
05-06-2015, 01:11 PM
Except perhaps for this time, where there may be no government. :belgium:

It's a very good series though. The 3rd one is about the Cally Road. The amazing thing about the Deptford story is than in the one street that they didn't get round to knocking down the houses, now restored and improved as they all should have been, are worth 3/4 million+ each.

Pat Vegas
05-06-2015, 01:22 PM
R.I.P Ferodo bridge.

The only slight redeeming feature is they have wrote 'The Cally' in a similar font.