PDA

View Full Version : Coquelin, player of the last 15 years?

Chief Arrowhead
04-13-2015, 07:04 PM
He is in my book, from this perspective. Has there been any player who was on the trash heap and rose to an auto-pick in such a short period of time?

For years we waited for Van Persie, Ramsey to come good. We are still waiting for Wilshere. Walcott has about run out of time. I understand that injuries play a part (Diaby?) Sometimes, even without injuries, a slight lock of "e quality' means they are not capable. This includes players like Aliadiere, Senderos, now Chezzers. The Ox is still a work in progress.

How to explain Coquelin? I'm sure that if Wenger knew he'd bottle it and sell it. I guess it comes down to the player? Maybe he realized that if he wants to play for The Arsenal he was NOT the next Fabregas and embraced his defensive role.

But to think he was in the trash bin and would have only come out if we were not desperate is one of those head scratchers. I wish we knew!

the splendor of antigone
04-13-2015, 07:09 PM
comparisons etc.

Billy Goat Sverige
04-13-2015, 07:11 PM
player. So in the sense that him and Coquelin were both almost out the door it's a bit similar.

Chief Arrowhead
04-13-2015, 07:14 PM
No.

Eboue was beloved much like the Gunnersaurus. There was never a thought of him as even close to Lauren's caliber, let alone world class.

I saw an article wondering who was a better defensive mid in the world than Coquelin the other day. 5 months ago he was trying to get a game for Charlton!

the thing is that 'they' are right. I;ve never seen a defensive mid cover better than The Coq. His best move is breaking up the play before they have a chance to get out of their own end. Even the great Invisible Wall (Gilberto) moved into his own end before trying to get into passing lanes.

Chief Arrowhead
04-13-2015, 07:16 PM
In fact, if Silvinho didn't have a dodgy passport he was gone!

Gunner Since Time Began - born to moan
04-13-2015, 07:55 PM

Dr Headgear - Wannabe viking
04-13-2015, 08:47 PM

Bergkamp's Brain
04-13-2015, 09:00 PM
I'd vote for Christophe Wreh but he was playing at Hendon 15 years ago

Chief Arrowhead
04-13-2015, 09:07 PM
Had a bet with a bloke from Sydney. Arstralia was his handle here. In fact he made a new Arsenal logo that blew away what the club came up with.

Anyway, I had it won, until Malz on the last match hit a blinder of a goal.

Arrrrghhhh!

Chief Arrowhead
04-13-2015, 09:24 PM