PDA

View Full Version : Part of the problem sits in the middle.........

arse-nick (avid-analogue-addict)
02-28-2015, 03:52 PM
http://www.arsenal.com/assets/_files/scaled/378x310/feb_15/zp_280115training16_4690.jpg

Classic Jorge
02-28-2015, 04:08 PM
We know he functions well when he has a shielded properly and plays with a settled, specific partner alongside him but the same's true of any centre back.

The fundamental problem has been, and remains, that we simply don't have two fit players in the squard capable of shielding a back four, meaning we can never play a double pivot which is so necessary for the 4-2-3-1 to work.

It effects Ozil immediately in front and Kos and Per immediately behind as a result and is a particularly acute problem against the better teams where we would naturally use that tactic most.

I would stick Chambers in there, especially if Bellerin is keeping him out of the team, and just give the lad a few games against some smaller opposition to bed in.

Mo Britain less Europe
02-28-2015, 04:30 PM
and Vieira.

Per is not a bad player but he is slow so if we play in our usual cavalier fashion expect him to get exposed time and time again.

Ben.
02-28-2015, 04:39 PM
Now we actually have someone to come in, I suggested putting Chambers in CM pre Coquelin but after seeing them together at Southampton I would probably only have one of them.
I don't think they necessarily need to be both big and defensive, one of the best pairings I can remember was Modric and Alonso neither of whom are particularly big or strong.
Although Southampton's also work, I'd say one big defensive midfielder and one normal sized playmaker (Schweini or Alonso) is a good combination.

arse-nick (avid-analogue-addict)
02-28-2015, 04:48 PM
his body in front of that ball, not try to evade it. He's not a brave player, which is why he's costing us points.

redgunamo
02-28-2015, 10:54 PM
have on the pitch at the time need to deal with. The Manchester City game showed that we could do this, if we wanted, but for whatever reason we haven't or don't.

I'd agree about Chambers though, if you insist. Basically a third centre-back, one more tall player who is notionally good in the air too. He could develop nicely there.

Peter
02-28-2015, 11:08 PM
Vieira would be better but then vieira is probably better than anything imaginable.

A fully fit diaby, with his pace, power and technique, would complete this side. It would also allow us to play theo on the right.

Peter
02-28-2015, 11:10 PM
Why ask cazorla to focus on keeping our midfield in shape? It isnt what he is.

Nor is jack and ramsey is just ramsey. I agree they could make a better fist of it but i am far from convinced that they are even told to.

redgunamo
02-28-2015, 11:21 PM

redgunamo
02-28-2015, 11:29 PM
six of one, half a dozen of the other, much of a muchness. There's little distinction between any of them.

Some score one or two more goals than the others so we call them "attacking" midfielders; others cannot hit a barndoor with a banjo, as they say, so we call them "defensive" midfielders. The third type is equally bad at attacking and defending so we make them captain.

And so on.

Peter
03-01-2015, 01:25 AM
The issue is about how they view the game and their role in it. In this sense midfielders are actually the most important part of any side (apart from george graham side obviously) as their decisions need to take into account everything that is happening all around them, including behind them.

They also cover the most ground and are the fittest in the squad. Apart from purs obviously.v

Peter
03-01-2015, 01:30 AM
For f**k's sake.... :banghead: :banghead:

Bergkamp's Brain
03-01-2015, 11:07 AM
In games where the midfield went awol, the back four usually got murdered.