PDA

View Full Version : Good Indy article on GG's back 4 and the lost art of defending.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
02-20-2015, 07:43 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment /how-george-grahams-sacking-by-arsenal-20-years-ago-started- a-demise-in-the-art-of-defending-10060618.html (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/how-george-grahams-sacking-by-arsenal-20-years-ago-started-a-demise-in-the-art-of-defending-10060618.html)

Dixon describing how GG walked around the training pitch with the ball and told them where they should be in relation.

Wish he'd come back and drill Per and the boys with that training.

Snin
02-20-2015, 09:10 PM
His way now is irrelevant in today's game. He was **** at Spurs etc . He was lucky to have the players he had at a time the rules favoured them plus the fact that low levels of fitness , professionalism and skill meant that alcoholics could play at the top level training a few times a week

02-20-2015, 09:32 PM
Him saying that if you show me where the ball was I can say to within a yard where each of my other defenders would have been.

Honestly, mate, could Dixon make things worse.

GG Back 5 + AW's super attacking midgets = :cloud9:

Snin
02-20-2015, 09:40 PM
Or doin a line in the toilet 😍

02-20-2015, 09:51 PM
the ball was, he let in less than 20 goals a season twice.

Maybe we should get Per tanked on schnapps and give him the keys to a motor. :guaranteedsilverware:

Snin
02-20-2015, 10:04 PM
Would now rape unfit drunks tho plus left n right backs have to attack and cb,s need to control the ball. It's nice article but irrelevant

02-20-2015, 10:28 PM
in their pockets for 90 mins, pissed or sober.

Dixon used to get forward, and Nutty. In my memories, we basically invented the attacking fullbacks (at least in an Eng 4-4-2) back then.

But look how the scummer was able to lump the ball into the box for Kane's winner at the NLD. GG would have drilled our RB to have closed him down.

I don't see how drilling our back 4 to position themselves depending on where the ball is as Dixon describes could make us any worse.

Worth a go imo.

I'd love to give our skillful midgets as sound a defensive base as Bergy and the boys had in the late '90s.

Snin
02-20-2015, 10:31 PM
Ricoh..those days yeah? Sorry 😀 I ll leave your false dreams

Mo Britain less Europe
02-20-2015, 10:57 PM
methods.

02-21-2015, 01:04 AM
banged up.

Them was the days.

They would have been invincibles if TA wasn't stitched up by the scum-supporting judge.

We'd have lost once in 2003-4 if PV4 had been in the clink for 4 months.

The run in, with Super-Kev playing with Smudger up front, Merse and Limpar out wide. And the best back four in history.

I love that team. In some ways still my favourites. (But I was in my 2nd year, in a house with 2 scousers + 3 others less interested or uninterested in footie. So watching the wins against LFC home and away with them was very heaven.)