PDA

View Full Version : Sir C.. My short stop at Umschterdum was a bit hectic by I'm pleased to report that the Krasnapolsky

7evens
02-16-2015, 11:40 AM
is not without it's charm. Very attentive, well mannered staff. The bedroom refit was all a bit minimalistic for my taste.
Reminded me of the Cumberlands efforts a few years back.
Villeroy and Boch in the bathroom but lots of glass white screens about the place.
The main entrance hall had some tired looking signage amongst the modern panelling and just what have they done to that grand old lobby ? Those fine old theatrical bits of artwork adorn the walls but they've shoehorned in a hideous, chipboard style cab rank office to the left of the reception, all very incongruous.
Our host, who having lived in the city for several years, carted us off to somewhere called, Cafe Bern, where we drank far too much and endulged in a delicious, bubbling cheese fondue, accompanied by a separate salver, made up with slivers of steak, which you put into a bubbling herb sauce, possibly dill ?
Incredibly good, if lacking in sophistication.
Following day was mostly work but I had the most wonderful and innovative steak tartare near to the Rai, in a place called the Rosarium.

:-)

Sir Charlie of Nicholas
02-16-2015, 11:44 AM
My aunt used to make that twin fondue thing, but she did lots of sauces for the steak. Her satay sauce was particularly fine, I remember.

Mind you, she used to weigh her stools and keep a record of their size, weight and consistency as well.

Berni
02-16-2015, 11:46 AM
I'd have been with child to know had I been you.

Sir Charlie of Nicholas
02-16-2015, 11:47 AM
Anything over 5 grams was greeted as a huge triumph.

She once phoned my father from the seat of ease to report a successful evacuation. :-(

Berni
02-16-2015, 11:49 AM

Classic Jorge
02-16-2015, 11:52 AM
I love them, a fantastic people, just knock the **** fixation on the head

Sir Charlie of Nicholas
02-16-2015, 11:54 AM
place. :shudder:

7evens
02-16-2015, 12:06 PM
would have been fairly *bound* for couple of days, affording her the possibility of baking an absolute SS Arizona of a deposit.

Berni
02-16-2015, 12:10 PM
Did you suffer cheese baby syndrome, 7? A terrible thing, is the cheese baby.