PDA

View Full Version : Pat, ever tried playing along to this won. This fella seems to have nailed it. Music

arse-nick (avid-analogue-addict)
02-06-2015, 11:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_VnMC_MxK0

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
02-06-2015, 11:46 PM
diligent study and practice, what Jimi knocked out as a one off. This is not creativity or art, this is mimicry.

Like to see him try "Message Of love" off the same album.

02-06-2015, 11:57 PM
Johnny B. Goode? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_VnMC_MxK0

02-07-2015, 12:04 AM
would have said "highly unlikely." Had you told me it had been done by a right handed guitarist I would have said "impossible. It would have to have been a left hander with a right strung guitar to be able to recapture the nuance and complexity of the original."

I think what this bloke does transcends mimicry, this is a kind of artistry in its own right. I am convinced that had he been tasked to do so, Jimi would not have been able to reproduce his own work so assiduously. ( and neither would he have wanted to :-) )

02-07-2015, 12:08 AM
I was only going to watch the intro +, but got sucked in.

barrybueno
02-07-2015, 12:48 AM

Chief Arrowhead
02-07-2015, 05:14 AM

Dr Headgear - Wannabe viking
02-07-2015, 10:17 AM
you learn techniques and nuances that you can use yourself to create your own sound. Essentially it's a form of dissection, chop it up and see how it works.

Jimi would never have been able to replay his own stuff that way, because it wasn't played that way, it didn't come from the head, it came from the body.

02-07-2015, 11:02 AM
what ever you like to say, but he was a composer as much as a performer. His compositions were often pushing boundaries and certainly his playing style was developed over quite a few years. He was a fastidious worker and arranger, always searching for something new and different. All this can not just be accomplished just from the body, you need intelligence.
The song, Machine Gun was the product of much rehearsing and arranging, yes he built in space to vary the tune, for his improvisation, but ultimately this tune was a incredible piece of composition, from the brain of trailblazer.

Dr Headgear - Wannabe viking
02-07-2015, 11:31 AM
I didn't express it particularly well.

It's not a question of composition/arrangement V improvisation, it's about having a direct physical link from the sound you want to make to producing it on an instrument - i.e. not having to think about how you do it, just doing it when you think it. I'm particularly thinking about phrasing and tonal adjustments here. The note-for-note imitation needs someone thinking about exactly which tone and phrasing Jimi used and replicating it, whereas Jimi was thinking about what tone and phrasing he wanted to use (or at that level of "feel" just playing the sounds that were natural for him).

Jimi's tunes were always well arranged, but never over-arranged. The sound and feel he looked for was a little raw, with space for spontaneity and flexibility and he frequently played the same tune in quite a few different ways, without ever going far from the original feel.

Hope that makes more sense now!

02-07-2015, 12:57 PM
:vsign: