PDA

View Full Version : Just been involved in a bad car accident so I need your advice

Nicosia Gooner
02-03-2015, 08:50 PM
I indicated at a main road to turn right and was waiting for the oncoming cars to go; one of the oncoming cars flashed me to go right and I was just about to do so when a big 4-wheel drive drove into the back of my car and pushed my car forward at least 10 meters, part of it on the pavement. It felt like I was hit by a missile, never experienced anything like that before and took me a few seconds to realise what had happened.

I got off the car and at first I had a back pain but its ok now, but the other driver accused me of stopping suddenly and not indicating, to say I was shocked would be an understatement. Thank god, the driver of the car who flashed me in the first place came to my rescue, he told the other guy that the whole incident was recorded on his video camera in the car and I had done nothing wrong and it was his fault for driving too fast and being careless. The other guy was absolutely speechless. Eventually we exchanged details and he left but my car had to be pushed to the side of the road as I couldn’t start it.

When I got home I contacted the insurance company who processed the claim and now I am waiting for the recovery company to take my car away and see how bad the damage is.

Meanwhile the other driver called me and offered to pay for the damage cash and not through the insurance company, this worries me a lot as I don’t know who I am dealing with.

What would you do?

Chief Arrowhead
02-03-2015, 08:57 PM
The insurance companies work things out among themselves and know how to process these things. Several reasons:

1) this is likely to be thousands of pounds of damage, I hope your car isn't totaled, but if it is this has to be done through your insurance company as you will need a salvage title.

2) If you have any pain AT ALL notify your insurance company immediately. A lot of times you don't know if something is wrong until the next day or the day after. Your body is most likely still in shock, masking any pain.

3) Your mind is in shock as well. This is not the time to make a decision that only helps the guy who hit you.

I've been through this with both of my kids and my wife. Spare yourself the hassle and risk.

Nicosia Gooner
02-03-2015, 08:59 PM
may not be happy with the outcome

Chief Arrowhead
02-03-2015, 09:00 PM
It doesn't matter if you were stopped or slammed on your brakes or something in between. Anytime a car rear ends you it is always their fault as prudent driving means paying attention to the car in front of you and being prepared to stop. I learned that the hard way. I stay well clear of cars in front of me now!

Nicosia Gooner
02-03-2015, 09:01 PM

High Quality Kick and Run
02-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Get out of Italy quick, Relegate or bust teams at will whilst maintaining chatty relations with the press to avoid any real interrogations whilst you grow stupid rich, and always have your excuse ready for the day you get found out.

Sorry, only read your post header but hope this helps

Chief Arrowhead
02-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Screw that guy, he came out of his car lying like a mug. Hell, he's probably Spurs!

I wouldn't even take his phone calls.

Chief Arrowhead
02-03-2015, 09:03 PM
looking to see if he could turn after you and wasn't looking forward. That's what I did in my little situation. Ahem.

Nicosia Gooner
02-03-2015, 09:04 PM

'Neg
02-03-2015, 09:07 PM
Hope your back will be ok :thumbup:

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
02-03-2015, 09:08 PM

02-03-2015, 09:13 PM
arse'ole who would have gone after you with everything had the roles been reversed.

Nicosia Gooner
02-03-2015, 09:23 PM

Nicosia Gooner
02-03-2015, 09:25 PM

bostonbrian
02-03-2015, 09:25 PM
He's done this before and he knows he's screwed with premiums...f**k him..glad you're alright :thumbup: ...clearly though, as an elderly man you should have the keys taken away from you! :driving:

pjlincs
02-03-2015, 09:27 PM
recovered so, sorry and all that, but insurance company already on the case and they will no doubt be in touch with him. He can of course offer to reimburse them for all their costs (I am assuming your cover is comprehensive). If you have an excess on your policy you will want to claim that off him (or his insurance) plus any uninsured losses that you incur e.g. if you need to hire a car (you have a common law duty to mitigate your losses so something smaller than you drive usually means less argument).
WD the man with the dashcam.

Ciaran
02-03-2015, 09:28 PM
in Ireland, we call the cops and report the incident asap. have they been informed?

'Neg
02-03-2015, 09:29 PM
The guy hit you in the rear. Case closed.
Even if you had been snorting coke out of a ladyboy's crack, he would be at fault.

Nicosia Gooner
02-03-2015, 09:30 PM

Nicosia Gooner
02-03-2015, 09:31 PM
Thank you for the info

02-03-2015, 09:34 PM
sounds like a potentially life threatening impact his only concern was not for your welfare or anyone else in your car, his only interest was to try and plant blame on you. He is a top-cvnt Nic make no mistake.

Do not be tempted to enter into any kind of cash deals with him. He will just fvck you around anyway. The cash offer is just a ruse to get you to call your insurer off.

The Tony
02-03-2015, 09:34 PM
It's not your fault
The whole thing is documented on film
Your insurance company will take care of things.

Most important thing is that u are okay....

Ciaran
02-03-2015, 09:35 PM
yes, most definitely imo. You may need witness statements etc esp if the other guy thinks he is in the right

'Neg
02-03-2015, 09:35 PM
I once did not do it, even though I was hit by a drunk driver. The issue was all the powder I had spilled over the passenger seat when he hit me, you see...

02-03-2015, 09:39 PM
public roads.

You have your witness, you have insurance; as Tony says - relax.

arse-nick (avid-analogue-addict)
02-03-2015, 09:52 PM
It's the overall shock of the event that takes some getting out of your system. Look after yourself, don't get concerned with other parties apart from those backing your case.
You have legal cover with your insurance, I'm sure, so you just sit back and let those whom are paid to do so, do the work.

02-03-2015, 09:54 PM

Bergkamp's Brain
02-03-2015, 09:57 PM
To pay cash.

Reporting to the insurance company means you will get clobbered. Insurance companies look for any reason to charge you more, even when it is not your fault.

On the flip side, settling with the other driver means that you do not get clobbered by insurance however, if you suffer a delayed reaction to the accident, your insurance company will shaft you for not reporting it within a reasonable time frame.

Nicosia Gooner
02-03-2015, 10:22 PM
Hi Nikos,

No problem with insurance contacting me will give full account that you did nothing wrong and completly blameless.

Cheers

Tony

Dr Headgear - Wannabe viking
02-03-2015, 10:30 PM

Nicosia Gooner
02-03-2015, 10:31 PM
He could be a policeman :rubchin:

02-03-2015, 10:32 PM

Nicosia Gooner
02-03-2015, 10:33 PM

Nicosia Gooner
02-03-2015, 10:34 PM
:hehe:

02-03-2015, 10:36 PM
is the one with the blame. (mine didn't and mine was a write-off)
I'm sure Nicosia has protection also.

02-03-2015, 10:39 PM

Ashberto
02-03-2015, 10:42 PM

Nicosia Gooner
02-03-2015, 10:43 PM
My insurance company now have all the details including the other driver and witness.

My car has already been picked up and will be taken to UK Assistance tomorrow morning who will evaluate the damage and decide if a repair or scrap is the next step. I really hope they can repair it as I love that car.

I have informed (by email) the other driver that my inusrance company is dealing with the case

The witness has also contacted me to show his support which I am really pleased about.

Tomorrow I will go and see my doctor but I am sure all is ok

Finally, a BIG Thank you to everyone who offered advice, support and wishes. I feel very emotional and it just shows what a nice bunch of people you all are.

Thank You!

mr egg and dart
02-03-2015, 11:27 PM
Something similar happened to me a long time ago.

I felt fine after the accident, but by the next day, I noticed some pain in my back. It progressively got worse. Turned out that I had slipped three discs in my back at lumbars 3,4, and 5.

I hope that you're ok...but give your back a while before giving yourself a clean bill of health.

Chief Arrowhead
02-04-2015, 01:39 AM
You're f**ked, mate.

Chief Arrowhead
02-04-2015, 01:40 AM
He could have contracted Diaby Syndrome.

Grinner
02-04-2015, 04:01 AM
1) Go to the emergency room and get checked out, x-rays if possible.
2) Find a good physical therapist...not a chiropracter...who can evaluate you as you will definitely have damaged something after that. I had months of physical therapy after each of two car accidents to fix musculo-skeletal trauma.
3) Document absolutely everything...hospital bills, car rental charges, mileage for tasks to take care of related issues, alcontact with insurers.
4) Keep a pain diary and write down any and all pain or ill-effects that you are feeling each day. Be diligent about this as you're memory will fade and you'll need to justify what you may have to claim for.
5) Don't expect your insurer to give you the best advice
6) Don't get a lawyer if you can avoid it. They will take a big chunk of your settlement for doing very little.

Nicosia Gooner
02-04-2015, 08:36 AM

Snin
02-04-2015, 08:51 AM
:hide:

PSRB
02-04-2015, 08:58 AM
at least he was insured

'Neg
02-04-2015, 09:05 AM
:hehe:

Steve Williams - gay for Mark Knopfler