PDA

View Full Version : I'm working with some indian chaps at the moment

Classic Jorge
01-21-2015, 01:23 PM
I have to say, cracking lads with excellent turnaround times but some of their mores are a bit odd.

Everything is "ya" or "yasure". They also seem to have gotten away from the english influence of over politeness and feel happy in ending a phone/skype call without the requisite sign offs.

Rich
01-21-2015, 01:24 PM

Classic Jorge
01-21-2015, 01:27 PM
Twiffic lads, the indians.

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
01-21-2015, 01:30 PM
unctuous, head wobbling incompetents then?

Classic Jorge
01-21-2015, 01:36 PM

Peter
01-21-2015, 01:39 PM
The financial agreement. Again amd again.......

Quite frustratng but seemingly standard in their business culture.

As i say though, limited experience.

Ashberto
01-21-2015, 01:49 PM
My Indian colleague has some quite forthright views on that subject.

'Neg
01-21-2015, 01:53 PM

Sir Charlie of Nicholas
01-21-2015, 01:57 PM
They piled into their Mercs and Porsches and screeched around the streets screaming 'Kill The Moozies' to each other, until they found a stream of mopeds carrying chaps in hats on their way to morning prayers, when they swerved around trying to knock them off, adding plenty of rich abuse.

All good clean fun, of course.

Classic Jorge
01-21-2015, 01:58 PM

Berni
01-21-2015, 01:59 PM
mannered Hindu will happily use the term '[racist term removed]'. And, if anything, Sikhs are even worse.

Berni
01-21-2015, 02:01 PM
The Indians seemed to manage that remarkably well all on their own.

Classic Jorge
01-21-2015, 02:03 PM

Sir Charlie of Nicholas
01-21-2015, 02:04 PM
to safer areas?

He's going to tell me which bit was Thatcher's fault in a minute.

Sir Charlie of Nicholas
01-21-2015, 02:05 PM
You MUST get tired of it sometimes.

Does Thatcher make you do it?

Hillary
01-21-2015, 02:07 PM
and an Indian colleague loudly told me (in easy earshot of the candidate) "You can't employ a [racist term removed]".

Interestingly, the same guy sued the company for racial discrimination when he was made redundant.

Classic Jorge
01-21-2015, 02:08 PM
And, just so we're clear, you're ahead on Thatch mentions. Even with this post

Hillary
01-21-2015, 02:08 PM
You MUST get tired of it sometimes.

Does Skinner make you do it?

Sir Charlie of Nicholas
01-21-2015, 02:09 PM

Classic Jorge
01-21-2015, 02:10 PM
There's a certain Nicos element to it but it works. Nicely done my friend :driving:

Berni
01-21-2015, 02:11 PM
think that is a fair criticism.

He had both sides pushing hard for immediate partition (and slaughtering each other whenever they got the chance), the Attlee government demanding we withdraw and the yanks threatening to call in our debts if we weren't out sharpish. It would have been a near-impossible balance for a diplomat of genius, but for a slightly dim aristo like Mountbatten (whose wife was also getting shafted by notable piss-drinker Nehru), it was a complete non-starter.

Classic Jorge
01-21-2015, 02:15 PM
Here's a crazy suggestion, maybe we could've put someone qualified (by anything other than blood) in charge.

Also, you seem to be blaming the americans here. Surely they, along with the british upper classes, are immune from any criticism.

You'll be blaming Thatcher next

(2-2, C)

Berni
01-21-2015, 02:24 PM
That's just how the tide of history was going, basically. Mountbatten was helpless.

It suits the left to blame him because
a/he was posh
b/he was English
c/ blaming the Indians for murdering each other in millions would be unthinkable for the left because they're just ignorant savages who can't be expected to think for, control, or take responsibility for themselves, can they?

Honestly, the sheer level of neo-colonial condescension inherent in your reflexive blaming of the British would be funny if it weren't so spectacularly racist. You are essentially saying that it was our job as colonial masters to take care of the Indians because they were too helpless, backwards and stupid to do it for themselves. In other words, you're essentially endorsing the imperial world view.

Oh, the irony. :hehe:

Classic Jorge
01-21-2015, 02:33 PM
As I said, it's pretty much an accepted fact he was incompetent. Obviously he only got the job because of who he is, rather than any sort of meritocratic qualification.

Clearly he wasn't helped by the fact he was under pressure from all sides and being cuckolded to boot but to say that the map was arbitrarily drawn would be an understatement, and his slapdash actions have had repercussions right up to the present day.

Also, I wasn't specifically blaming him for the internecine fighting but for the migration the bodged redrawing necessitated, which resulted in hundreds of thousands dying on the road from malnutrition, disease and exhaustion.

Do you not think, as the rulers at the time, there was not a duty of care there? Honestly, your refusal to ever accept that the upper class could be in any way would be funny if it wasn't so scary.

Berni
01-21-2015, 02:48 PM
saved the Indians from themselves at that point. There was no time allowed for the proper drawing of the map. The British wanted out ASAP. The Indians on all sides wanted the British out immediately and the Americans wanted the British out immediately. In those circumstances - and when every single option available is likely to have bloody and horrible consequences - I'd defy anyone to get it 'right'.

I hold absolutely no brief for Mountbatten or the English upper classes, btw. I just object to people making convenient historical scapegoats when it suits their prejudices and political purposes rather than acknowledge the genuine impossibility of the situation.