PDA

View Full Version : Bournemouth are top of Div.2 Are they still AFC Bournemouth? Will their results get read out

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
12-21-2014, 02:45 PM
before ours if they get promoted?

I don't think they've ever been in Div. 1, so it won't have happened before.

I hope they do get to the top flight, every team should have a go at some point in their history, but I don't like the idea of us not being the first match on the list when we're at home.

I didn't even know they were in Div. 2, I thought they'd almost fallen into the conference. So I wonder if they've still got a proper ground with terraces. If so, it would be great for them to come up for that alone.

barrybueno
12-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Sir Henry 'Chuck' Norris would rise from his grave and not allow this imo.

12-21-2014, 02:59 PM
called AFC Bournemouth or not nowadays, when they read the results out?

Cos if they are, then they'll be first on the list.

Wasn't it the great Herbie (the real one, not the grump old git here) who said we were to be just Arsenal, not The Arsenal, when it came to results, so we'd always be first?

Do they still read out the results on telly after the news? If so, I'll have a listen next week.

barrybueno
12-21-2014, 03:15 PM
Arsenal are still officially known as The Arsenal even today.

As for Bournemouth the young Dr. Rich should know the answer, I doubt if the AFC bit is ever used tbh.

12-21-2014, 03:22 PM
reading the results out after the news, I'm sure it used to be AFC Bournemouth, three, Chelsea, one.

That sort of thing. Could be wrong, though.

Or maybe it was on the pools coupons.

But it definitely was cos I remember asking my parents why it was called AFC. And they said it was amateur football club. And I asked why they didn't get paid and mum said they did nowadays, but they used to be amateurs and I said, well, why do they keep calling themselves amateurs if they're not and mum said......

You get the drift. You know those sort of kids-parents conversations.

So either the pools or the videprinter or the read out results used to call them AFC Bournemouth.

In which case, we could be in trouble. We've always been first on the list if we're at home.

(That's why dad, when doing 3 lines of pools, always had 3 Xs for number 2. They other Xs were different, but always a number 2 for all 3 lines. He said he didn't want us to drop points at home for him to win the jackpot.)