PDA

View Full Version : Wenger speaks for the fans, claiming to be 'very disappointed' with 'naive' Arsenal

One Wilf Copping
11-23-2014, 10:38 AM
'Naive' – that's got to be one of the best descriptions for the team (and manager) over the last nine seasons.

I never understood why Wenger abandoned his original 'Wengerball', playing with pace, power, tactical discipline and skill.

He kept skill and pace (well, Walcott in terms of pace), but abandoned power and tactical discipline.

While everyone else, United, City and Chelsea, have been aspiring to a version of Wenger's original power play, Wenger has stumbled through a lost decade tinkering with some third-rate imitation of Barcelona.

:banghead:

I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave the club by mutual consent by the end of January.

Hendon Gooner (Only Easy Day Was Yesterday))
11-23-2014, 10:51 AM
We don't play in La Liga.

TRENT COLTON
11-23-2014, 10:53 AM
I was getting flashbacks of the game when Evra went storming through from deep. Clichy just watching and Denilson getting overtaken by the ref :hehe: Wasn't that about 5 years ago? Even Wenger must be getting bored of this **** now. Why sign on for another 3 years, just to keep overseeing exactly the same problems?

Bergkamp's Brain
11-23-2014, 11:28 AM
his management philosophy is exactly the same as it always was.

He has never worked on tactics. He has never told players what to do or where to be or how to do it. He has always been a man who lets his players manage themselves. It is a management technique that a lot of businesses are using for their staff. Encouraging people to see their own place and to take accountability for themselves.

If you have the right players, you get teams like the invincibles. If not, you get teams like we have had over the past few seasons. The problem with this almost utopian management technique is that it only take a couple of people to not be on board or not be able to grasp the principles and the whole things falls apart very quickly.

The reality is that the manager has to change his style, his players or his employment status. That has been my question over the last 6 years.

One Wilf Copping
11-23-2014, 11:51 AM
what is arguably most frustrating about Wenger is that he seems so slow to recognise any kind of weaknesses or failings in his players. His persistence with the some of the players over the years has been staggering.

He has though actually made tactical changes, switchting from a rigid 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 when he arrived. He has also switched from two central defensive midfielders to virtually none unless we can't attacking midfielders being asked to play a deeper role.

Bergkamp's Brain
11-23-2014, 12:03 PM
themselves.

The whole point of this technique is to be there to encourage players when they do not do it right. To continue to encourage in the hope that the penny does drop. There is no time limit from manager's point of view. It is down to the player to work it out or throw the towel in.