PDA

View Full Version : Ice Bucket Challenge, Movember and now Sober for October. Frown

Berni
10-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Seriously, if you want to stop drinking for a bit, pour a bucket of ice water over yourself or grow a moustache, why don't you - and here's a novel idea - JUST F.UCKING DO IT? Stop trying to justify your attention-seeking behaviour by appending it to some charity you don't actually care about.

Alternatively, if you do care about this cause, why don't you try giving some money for it or volunteering in some way that doesn't involve you plastering self-serving messages about it all over social media?

Oh, because you're an unspeakable, self-righteous, attention-seeking c**t, that's why.

Rich
10-01-2014, 10:55 AM
:-(

the splendor of antigone
10-01-2014, 10:59 AM
I agree with the 'charity'-aspect, though. There is nothing really charitable about it when you're only using the cause as an instrument for your own self-promotion, self-interest, and self-gratification. I think the real issue is that people feel the need to constantly identify with some new fad or gimmick because they genuinely have no idea of who they are, what they believe in, and what role they play for others; a constant flux of inauthentic facades designed to give the semblance of a personality when in reality the need for perpetual identification with all these images is intended to mask their own lack.

Don't forget the rainbow laces. Soon everything will be inextricably bound to the 'causes' an organization/company wish to promote, human beings as veritable commercials or vehicles to propogate their own agenda.
Although this is probably no different than the role of brand-culture thus far. At least that was a totally shameless, consumerist thing unlike this bleeding heart ****.

It's like going into Starbucks and ordering a cup of ridiculously expensive coffee, because you see a sign saying that 5 percent of that goes to some malnourished Africans. Whereas you'd once at least have the bad conscience when buying something you didn't really need (like a ridiculously expensive cup of coffee) because that money could go to help other people, now even that aspect is gone.
We now consume without a bad conscience, feeling like we're doing our moral duty when engaging in immoral behavior.

I'm boring, I know.

Luis Anaconda
10-01-2014, 10:59 AM
lunchtimes and Thursdays in that can they?

Hillary
10-01-2014, 11:01 AM

Ashberto
10-01-2014, 11:04 AM

the splendor of antigone
10-01-2014, 11:08 AM
How do I delete my own posts?

Berni
10-01-2014, 11:10 AM
self-promotion.

You're overthinking it. It comes down to the fact that social media is the worst thing in the world because it allows everyone to be the lead actor in their own little movie. It actively fetishises self-obsession and encourages the delusions of the drab multitude that they are uniquely special, interesting or wonderful and that their actions, feelings or thoughts are in some way deserving of notice.

The Tony
10-01-2014, 11:15 AM
got to do a csr for work.

Lets face it....I'm not really FKIN going sober for October but it's less noticeable than Movember and the Ic bucket challenge.

the splendor of antigone
10-01-2014, 11:16 AM
see :hehe:

It's like going to a [insert some place] and not expect to find [insert something humorous that is always present in said place]

The Tony
10-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Then do sober for October and we can cross sponsor each other to make it look more legit :thumbup:

PM for details...

Rich
10-01-2014, 11:18 AM
when I can eat a sandwich in my consulting room. Usually at approx 15:00.

Berni
10-01-2014, 11:19 AM
However, you don't need to be on social media to see the ways in which it gets used by these people.

the splendor of antigone
10-01-2014, 11:21 AM

Sir Charlie of Nicholas
10-01-2014, 11:22 AM
I look at Twitter and I'm on Facebook, and I've seen references to this stuff, so I ignore them. I'm puzzled at how you have any exposure to 'these people'.

Berni
10-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Or go to their Just Giving page, which is another collective, self-congratulatory circle jerk.

Sir Charlie of Nicholas
10-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Can you not simply ignore these requests and not look?

Berni
10-01-2014, 11:36 AM
LinkedIn (which isn't really social media since it's necessary for work). Or, of course, they drop it oh-so-casually into conversation.

Yes, I can and do ignore these things. But it doesn't prevent the constant background hum of them.

Sir Charlie of Nicholas
10-01-2014, 11:40 AM

Peter
10-01-2014, 12:02 PM
If you give us 3 quid we will give 5p of it to a charity of our choosing. If you wont buy a coffee for 3 quid, the charity gets nothing. You selfish c**t!

Whenever i fly with emirates they bring round a begging bowl for bangladeshi orphans towards the end of the flight. I sit there and think thst their profits from one week could eradicate the problem but they are here asking me for money. Surely anything i give would be dwarfed by their own huge contributions to this charity? It seems not. They, emirates, give absolutely nothing...the charity is purely for their passengers.

barrybueno
10-01-2014, 12:45 PM