PDA

View Full Version : Irishers - I caught some of that ball and stick thingy at the weekend. A mighty impressive 80k

7evens
09-29-2014, 03:45 PM
roaring on both sides.
Am I right in thinking this the Number one sport in the emerald isle and are there any international events ?

Steve Williams - gay for Mark Knopfler
09-29-2014, 03:57 PM
In terms of mass popularity I would say not, still football.

7evens
09-29-2014, 04:02 PM
Or does the volume of spectators speak more for the grand occasion, rather than the average weekly attendances ?

Steve Williams - gay for Mark Knopfler
09-29-2014, 04:05 PM
Equivalent as in All Ireland Final, Kerry v Donegal. The former won despite being somehow seen as underdogs.

The two finals + the 4 semi-finals, 2 in each code, probably the only games most years that a full house would be absolutely guaranteed.

Play Dublin on a nice sunny Bank Holiday weekend and chances are it would fill up also.

Norn Iron
09-29-2014, 04:29 PM
The average attendance for Irish League (soccer) teams is around 1000. The biggest game (Linfield v Glentoran) could attract around 3k.

The Irish Cup Final is the biggest game of the season and would never be over 6k.

* This is all Northern Irish league data. I'm not sure about the League of Ireland attendances. They are probably averaging 1-2k a week for most games at a guess.

7evens
09-29-2014, 04:48 PM
I'd confused what SW meant by Football and assumed he was referring to Soccer Football http://www.awimb.com/images/smiley_icons/ohwell.gif