PDA

View Full Version : Giroud/Welbeck

zimgunner
09-14-2014, 02:32 PM
I thought Welbeck did ok yesterday. A couple of inches and he would have had a graceful goal on debut.

One observation -- he does not slot in for Giroud. They are not equivalents. I remember Welbeck losing most aerial duels when the ball was passed up to him in the air. He's not a target man, but we are still playing a bit like he is -- i.e. as if Giroud were up front.

We will adapt, I'm sure and Welbeck's additional pace will be useful. But we'll miss Giroud -- we have less of an outlet ball when teams are pressing us now.

I'm not averse to keeping Sanogo in the mix and seeing what happens.

Billy Goat Sverige
09-14-2014, 02:48 PM
find one of our players.

zimgunner
09-14-2014, 04:27 PM
and that eases defensive pressures on us -- get it up to him, he takes touches and defends for 5 seconds, and we move from defense into attack.

important part of our rhythm -- need to find another method to accomplish it now that ollie is gone.

TRENT COLTON
09-14-2014, 05:26 PM
Didn't let them settle on the ball, and won quite a few tussles which saw the ball break to an Arsenal player (especially in the build up to our second goal). I think he'll ask more questions of defenders than Giroud. Too often in the big games, defenders have seemed far too comfortable against Giroud. He just doesn't worry them often enough imo.

Twat Cuddles
09-14-2014, 07:34 PM