PDA

View Full Version : Re: Club run by criminals - It's Chelski isn't it? Please Gawd let it be Chelski... Sherlock

Hendon Gooner (Only Easy Day Was Yesterday))
09-10-2014, 05:30 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/news/11087374/One- European-football-club-is-being-run-by-organised-criminals.h tml (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/news/11087374/One-European-football-club-is-being-run-by-organised-criminals.html)

Between 60 and 80 countries have reported alleged match-fixing in each of the last three years and at least one European club is being run by organised criminals, it was claimed on Wednesday.

The stark revelations came from the head of an Interpol-Fifa initiative to fight fixing and the former chief executive of the Asssociation of European Professional Football Leagues.

Interpol’s John Abbott told the Soccerex Global Convention in Manchester: “We have evidence of organised crime groups in China, Russia, the Balkans, the United States and Italy making substantial money.

Abbott claimed billions of dollars were involved, adding: “Sports governing bodies and football associations need to get real about prevention.

“Many sports, of course, are affected by match-fixing, but football, the global game, is top of the league and cricket is second.

“The extent of the problem is that each year for the last three years between 60 and 80 countries have reported allegations of match-fixing.”

During the same debate, entitled "Fixing Football's Dark Side", Emanuel Medeiros, the head of the Qatar-based International Centre for Sport Security and ex-EPFL chief, told delegates at least one professional European club was being run by an organised crime syndicate through a front company.

“I have evidence that this is the case but I cannot say which club or which country although these are legitimate questions,” he said.

“This not new. We have been aware of these kinds of developments since 2003 but there is an ongoing police investigation. It’s a very serious matter.”

Medeiros said all sport needed “a wake-up call” and could not be complacent about the threat match-fixing and irregular betting could have if not tackled.

“It is no longer a silent cancer. It is widespread and very evident that this is a deadly cancer for sport.

“Sport must govern itself properly and positive developments have been made in the last decade but we urgently need a unified, credible, concerted effort now.

“It’s not acceptable that sporting fraud is considered a crime in only five European countries. We need concrete, robust regulation of the sports betting market which at the moment does not exist.

“We need better regulation, good governance, enhanced prevention and education and a serious international approach. Only if we do these [things] can we put an end to football being dragged into shame.”

TRENT COLTON
09-10-2014, 06:22 PM

Classic Jorge
09-10-2014, 10:32 PM
"What? He is a filthy jerk. A fat bum. I'll force this Gypsy back up his mother. I'm tired of him, all his irony and jokes. He forces me to lose control! He's way out of line."