PDA

View Full Version : This is a very harsh piece about Wenger

Dorset Gooner
09-04-2014, 08:20 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/03/arsenal-asia n-players-arsene-wenger-miyaichi-park-inamoto (http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/03/arsenal-asian-players-arsene-wenger-miyaichi-park-inamoto)

The Tony
09-04-2014, 08:36 AM
Pretty remarkable what he's accomplished so far.

Classic Jorge
09-04-2014, 08:48 AM
...ed.

I like the lad Ki, but I cant think of any more who are even making a decent fist of it.

Dorset Gooner
09-04-2014, 08:54 AM

Steve Williams - gay for Mark Knopfler
09-04-2014, 09:07 AM
They mention him but not the fact that he is a proven player of enormous talent who went to United and became a toilet. I would expect to see him flourish again now he is back in Dortmund. Probably against us.

One thing I do recall however was the hyperbolic level of utter guff which accompanied Myachi's arrival from Arsenal fans who had managed to search and find him on YouTube.

Billy Goat Sverige
09-04-2014, 09:07 AM
being quite optimistic. A gamble on a young player that didn't come off. Happens all the time.

Billy Goat Sverige
09-04-2014, 09:09 AM
a school team so i imagine youtube videos of him were rarer than rocking horse ****.

Luis Anaconda
09-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Wenger has a connection to Asia, hence it is more disappointing. That may still be *******s but is the crux of the article. Quite racist too in a way. Just because he understands Japan why should he know anything in particular about Korea

09-04-2014, 09:11 AM

Billy Goat Sverige
09-04-2014, 09:12 AM

09-04-2014, 09:14 AM
I get so far with these articles then cannot be bothered. I am a quitter in life.

Bit daft by the journalist really, any advantage Wenger may have had in that market would have been at the time of his arrival and the immediate years after, when it was an unknown or untapped market. He would of course still have contacts there but equally so would most major clubs.

Mc Gooner
09-04-2014, 10:38 AM
just because the countries are close. Geographically wise at least

Oh :-(

7evens
09-04-2014, 10:47 AM
Managed to consume a fair bit of Hefe weise while watching the disgruntled locals last night.
Did you notice Podolski and Per on the ZDF post match review.
Of course, being a native these days, I expect you understood all of it . :-)

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
09-04-2014, 11:12 AM

barrybueno
09-04-2014, 11:17 AM

7evens
09-04-2014, 11:17 AM
in each others leagues ?

R.C. Celebrating the return of Trophies
09-04-2014, 11:19 AM
if anything it highlights a bigger issue and by stopping at Asian players it completely misses the point.
The focus should be more about how few players the youth acadamy has developed into first team regulars.

Given the plaudits Msr Wenger gets for his youth development and football philosophy I think we should have seen a good many more than have made it in the 17+ years he's been working for us.
Allowing for 5 years benefit then where are the crop of players he has directly influenced during the 12 years we should have been seeing some kind of harvest of his genius.
I have to say it's one of the bigger disappointments I have with his tenure. 17 years is plenty long enough to have developed players both technically and mentally into young men imbued with his philosophy both on and off the pitch.
It is also plenty long enough to have put in place a level of technical development that would see them become accomplished professionals.
And it is easily long enough to have educated them in tactics and on field awareness.

Maybe there are issues with the way children are turned into pro players that he has failed to come to terms with. :shrug:

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
09-04-2014, 11:28 AM

09-04-2014, 11:31 AM
Park was mid-20s at a guess when he came, Inamoto 20 or thereabouts. Neither ever set foot in the youth academy.

Your comments re youth development may have their virtue but not really anything to do with these 3 oriental chaps.

Arsenal or Wenger are hardly alone in the above complaint anyway, few of the really top level clubs have the time or luxury of filling their side with players who carry the enormous risk of youth. We did it to a degree in recent years but bought it in as opposed to the true origin of youth development.

You get the odd freak occurence like United and Barcelona, but not many others.

Classic Jorge
09-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Brady is on record as saying he fell out of love with his job. I'd venture to suggest it was the clubs failure in being over sentimental about Brady, if anything.